• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you give money to beggers?

Do you give money to beggers?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Ideally, I give food, usually, money.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Only food, ever.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Holy crap, it's Druidus, when did this happen, Ahhhhhh!!!! (Please answer seriously in your post)

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

kai

ragamuffin
no i do not but i always buy a copy of "the big issue" from street vendors which is a magazine sold by the homeless under licence and they recieve a percentage of sales sort of like a franchise agreement. i dont know if its sold in other countries

c0da

I tend not to, to be honest. Forgive me if I am being rather prejudiced here, but I would rather donate to a charity that helps homeless people, for example Shelter a charity helping the homeless in the UK, than give the money directly to a homeless person and risk the money being spent on something not particularly productive, like drugs, booze or smokes. This way, I know the money will be spent helping homeless people out of their situation rather than just giving them a temporary 'high'.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Never.

If it is an older person, I always say, "I'm sorry, I don't have any change. But I do have a few cigarettes, and I can take you for a coffee?" Once I buy their coffee, typically I just sit for a brief moment and then leave. Just enough to get them in the door with something paid for, so no one has the right to ask them to leave and they can relax inside all day.

With Roma children, it's a little more complicated. Most are honest beggars. They sing, they dance, they play instruments, they need the money - for their families in settlements in the forests. Others are like little criminal gangs and if you offer a cigarette to one, 30 more come from nowhere and harass you. Then you see them a week later at mosque with a gold tooth where their missing one had been that day on the street. Those people I resent, especially those in Western Europe who milked the war in Bosnia. "We're Bosnian refugees, do you have any money?" when they couldn't tell Sarajevo from Timbuktu, had never been there.

Hacker

YES I do every single time, I forget the verse in the bible but God does say to give to the poor man no matter what, if anyone could figure out which one it is, let me know...but yes, every single time, that verse in the bible is one that i believe in very dearly and I never forgot it, plus it's just natural for me personally. I always at least give a buck.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It is good to see you again Druidus.

NO. I do not give money to beggers or homeless people.

If i were to come across someone who was in desperate need, I would endeavor to help them somehow, any way I could. I would not just toss them a few coins, like bones to a dog and wish them a "good" day.

I firmly believe that you CANNOT truly help someone who does not want to help themselves. Doing so, is an excercise in futility. I am not saying you should not be compassionate, but one does have to be pragmatic or your efforts are as wasted as the poor sot you are trying to help.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Druidus said:
Do you give money to beggers, or homeless people?

No, I do not give money to beggars. I do give them food. I hardly ever have anyone take it, though. Occasionally someone needs a ride, and that's fine. My business partner always keeps a store of inexpensive umbrellas in her car. When it's raining and she sees someone without an umbrella, whether it's someone begging or just someone at the bus stop, she stops and gives them one.

Here's a Baha'i view on the subject. Italics are mine.

409. Begging is Forbidden -- House of Justice to provide for Disabled

"We have been asked to share with you the following extract from one of the Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá on the subject of begging: "By the Sacred Verse: "Begging is forbidden, and it is also prohibited to dispense alms to a beggar' is meant that mendicancy is forbidden and that giving charity to people who take up begging as their profession is also prohibited. The object is to wipe out mendicancy altogether. However, if a person is disabled, stricken by dire poverty or becomes helpless, then it is incumbent upon the rich or the trustees to provide him with a monthly allowance for his subsistence. when the House of Justice comes into being it will set up homes for the incapacitated. Thus no one will be obliged to beg, even as the supplementary part of the Blessed Verse denotes: 'It is enjoined upon everyone to earn his livelihood'; then He says: 'As to those who are disabled, it devolveth upon the trustees and the rich to make adequate provision for them.' By 'trustees' is meant the representatives of the people, that is to say the members of the House of Justice."

"The Universal House of Justice does not wish to go beyond the elucidation given by the Master in the above passage and wishes, for the time being, to leave any matter not entirely covered by this text to the conscience of individual believers."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice
to an individual believer, August 13, 1974)

sahra-t

/me loves frubals
I sometimes give to beggars if I have change on me. It doesn't bother me at all that they may spend it on cigarettes and alcohol. They probably don't get many highs in their life, they are often in bad health, and are very unlikely to reform their life and get out of the situation they have ended up in. If they want short term pleasure that they get from alcohol and cigarettes then I wouldn't want to deprive them of it.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I wanted to vote 'Holy Crap! It's Druidus!" :D, but I voted no. :eek:

I feel bad saying I don't have any money even when I honestly don't have any. I used to give, but a few years ago, someone asked me for money to get something to eat, I didn't have any, so I offered a coupon for a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. I got a scowl and a "HMPH!", and the person stormed off. I guess you can't exchange the coupon for Schlitz Malt Liquor. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we give money to our church as one of our ministries is supplying and staffing a soup kitchen and a homeless shelter in the community. Like c0da said, I prefer the money go to something productive.

evearael

Ideally, I would prefer to give food, though I will give money if I am carrying any. (That said, I very rarely carry cash...) I strongly prefer to work through organizations that empower people to rebuild their lives.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Druidus said:
Do you give money to beggers, or homeless people?

I usually give money, when I have money to spare, to the homeless people that I personally know. I live in a community wihin a city, and know quite a few people from all walks of life. I figure it's just a community thing to look out after the less fortunate a bit.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
With Roma children, it's a little more complicated. Most are honest beggars. They sing, they dance, they play instruments, they need the money - for their families in settlements in the forests.

Ah, but there's a difference between begging and "buskers."

I have no problem giving some spare change to street entertainers. The arts are perfectly honest work.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
To be honest I rarely encounter beggers or homeless people. I do give to charities though that help people in need. I think personally though I would rather give a person a meal or take them somewhere that can help them get back on their feet than to just give them money.

Zephyr

Moved on
I usually offer them a trip to subway and split a 12incher with them. My girlfriend gives them the choice of that or some vodka...

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't usually carry cash, but I'll give some change or a few bucks if I have it, but I prefer to give them food or give to charities.

If I am in town I sit down with the homeless for a while and talk to them and then give them money. Many of the homeless are very intelligent. They don't often talk about how they got in their situation but rather about observations on life. I have ran into a few obnoxious drunks that I just give the money to and part ways. I live for those little connections.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I voted "yes" since I have done so in the past. I really don't do so often, though. But I have been approached by people that, for some reason, I felt good about giving money to, and when that happens I follow my heart. Most of the time, I am like Evearael, in that I prefer to donate to legitimate organizations that will do more than just provide a temporary fix.

Ciscokid

I can't remember ever giving them any money. I had a devout Christian buddy that wouldn't give them money but he'd take them to a restaurant and tell them about Jesus. They would either flat out decline or they'd sit there and wonder what they did to deserve that punishmet. heh.

Cynic

After my first experience of giving away money to someone living on the street, not really. This person bought things he didn't need, like cigarettes. Then he persistently kept asking me for more money.

Their was another time in which I gave money, but it was to a family that seemed to really need it.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Yes I do give money to beggars and even food, for this is the teaching of my religion.
One of the tenets of Islam is to give alms to the poor. We must help those in need and give them from what God has given us.

Peace