• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you find the term "New Age" offensive?

biased

Just looking for people who identify with many "New Age" beliefs whether or not they feel the term "New Age" is offensive. Do you find it offensive? Why or why not?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I involve myself in things that some might consider "new age", and there might be some connotation to that, do I care ? no.

UTK007

Spiritual Seeker
I was under the impression that the term New Age was meant to connote the timing in which the religious tradition first became popularized. Devotees in the 1960s were re-imagining and problematizing older concepts of spirituality. They were literally constructing a "new age" of spiritual understanding.

I can see how that term may be outdated.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that the term New Age was meant to connote the timing in which the religious tradition first became popularized. Devotees in the 1960s were re-imagining and problematizing older concepts of spirituality. They were literally constructing a "new age" of spiritual understanding.

No, I think you're right, however it seems (at least to me) to encompass many other subjects, in popular understanding. That being said, I don't follow anything specifically "new age", in the strict sense of the term.

Last edited:

NoraSariah

I don't find it to be offensive, but I agree, it definitely is outdated. I think it's time we finally upgrade to Age. ;)

EyeofOdin

Lots of people in the polytheistic and more "conservative" faiths tend to use the terms "neopagan" and "New Age" offensively. Some practices they don't like, they'll look at them and say things like "That's just a bunch of New Age horse ****"

I don't find it offensive, unless it's used offensively. Such as if someone were to say to me "you're not engaging with your ancestors and your gods! You're just another New Age monocultured imperialist!" I would be fairly offended.

I think people need to get off their high horses. Any religion can be called whatever it wants to be by whomever. The day that stops, is the day we give fiction and fairytales power.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
No, were always in a new age, we cannot avoid it, its just those who are stuck in their beliefs that are afraid of the so called new age.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
most of the beliefs aren't exactly 'new' but I take no offense. Why be offended in general? If this is all it takes, well...

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist

Pretty much this.

I don't get offended when I am called a 'new-age Hindu' as soon as I mention the term 'chakra' or 'meditation', but it goes to show the mental maturity of those who use those terms thinking it is derogatory.

I am very quick to point out that such terms and practices are very much 'old age', however, to orthodox Hindus, any little bit of 'unorthodoxy' is seen as being 'new age' because it doesn't fit in well with their nice, comfortable, limited view of things.

I guess I get slightly annoyed because they haven't come up with a better phrase to use since the 1960's and all they have managed to come up with since then, is the term 'Neo' which makes me seem like a character out of the Matrix...so I prefer that term...