• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Favor Belief Over Knowledge and Curiosity?

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
The Bible tells you what happened when Nebby attacked. He failed. And you do not understand how prophecies fail. If you don't go in understanding that you will never understand how prophecies fail in the Bible.

And you really should read the entire Tyre prophesy. Zeke admits that he failed. And then to make matters worse he made another failed prophesy.
Tell me what happened to the king of Tyre in both actions against the city. More attacks to not respond to an honestly asked question.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
.................................the presence of truth presented through objective evidence or scientific theory, ...................................................
This looks as if you do have a religion all of your own.
Objective evidence can let us down so badly.
And scientific theory is just that..........

:shrug:

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
While this is a parody, I cannot tell you how many times I've had such a debate with religious fundamentalists.

For those of you who refuse to waver on your beliefs in the presence of truth presented through objective evidence or scientific theory, what brings you to reject these truths? Comfort? Fear? Pride? Poor fashion sense?

Why compels you persist in arguing for you beliefs?

Scientific truth is not necessarily a sustainable reality
There are facts that can not be doubted and there are facts that are doubtful
Our understanding of the facts changes over time
Because we do not have the sharp insight
Or we have not come to the truth inverted

Such as the sea foam that appears and then disappears
But the irrefutable truth, which is unchanging, is like the gold that people keep and can not afford

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
Why in both? Do you not understand the prophesy?
I understand that the prophesy involves a nation state and an arrogant man. I asked: what, from your sources, happened to the leader of that nation state in either case Nebuchadnezzar's or Alexander's. You seem to know so much more than me.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I understand that the prophesy involves a nation state and an arrogant man. I asked: what, from your sources, happened to the leader of that nation state in either case Nebuchadnezzar's or Alexander's. You seem to know so much more than me.

Not necessarily arrogant. He merely ticked off Zeke. Zeke new that Nebby was going to attack so that was not much of a prophecy. Nebby was a "king of kings". He had an army of "many nations". He attacked small Tyre and did of course conquer the land based cities. But the wealth and power of Tyre came from the island, not the land, and he did not defeat that. If you read the Bible you will see that Tyre paid him a pittance to leave and that was it. He never entered the city as in the prophecy. Since Zeke was a bit ashamed for his previous failed prophesy and Egypt was Nebby's next target he predicted that he would lay desolation to Egypt. That never happened.

Alexander the Great attacked over a hundred years later. The king in question had died a long time ago. That was not part of the prophecy.

Audie

Veteran Member
The Bible is quite historical and archaeologists are uncovering more and more evidence that the Bible is right about almost everything. The problem archaeologists have is the exact location and timeframe for some of the events. You are welcome to your opinion. I prefer to look up posts I question. It is better than trying to remember the quote and the meaning I get may not be what the writer meant as in this case.

It is wrong about the 6 day poof, and the flood.
Exodus, zero evidence, much against.

That there is a Egypt, a desert, dead sea, sure.

Anyone could do that. It is just the important stuff
that is either unverifiable, or plain fiction.

Audie

Veteran Member

It aint that hard.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
Not necessarily arrogant. He merely ticked off Zeke. Zeke new that Nebby was going to attack so that was not much of a prophecy. Nebby was a "king of kings". He had an army of "many nations". He attacked small Tyre and did of course conquer the land based cities. But the wealth and power of Tyre came from the island, not the land, and he did not defeat that. If you read the Bible you will see that Tyre paid him a pittance to leave and that was it. He never entered the city as in the prophecy. Since Zeke was a bit ashamed for his previous failed prophesy and Egypt was Nebby's next target he predicted that he would lay desolation to Egypt. That never happened.

Alexander the Great attacked over a hundred years later. The king in question had died a long time ago. That was not part of the prophecy.
When did the king of Tyre die and how is what I asked. Not whether he died or not.

I’ll say you don’t seem to understand what prophesy is. What it is not is fortune telling.

If The King of Tyre at the time recognized that he was not God, YHWH took mercy on him and let him off with a ransom paid to Nebuchadnezzar. Prophesies are given, like that for Nineveh, to elicit change, not to foretell the future.

Alexander did a number on Tyre, making it a ruin of its former self. It was later built up to the city of Sur it is today.

And depending on whether it is of God or not, it will face the Isaiah prophesy in the end times. Even that one does not foretell destruction but humbling.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
It is wrong about the 6 day poof, and the flood.
Exodus, zero evidence, much against.

That there is a Egypt, a desert, dead sea, sure.

Anyone could do that. It is just the important stuff
that is either unverifiable, or plain fiction.
Day in ancient Hebrew had another meaning that 24 hours. It meant a length of time totally undefined. I've already noted the flood is out of my experience. But the Bible is about the Middle East as the world. I watched a program by a journalist named Jacoby that described the plagues of Egypt very scientifically. I'm not sure what you mean by the dead sea. Do you mean Sodom and Gomorrah?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When did the king of Tyre die and how is what I asked. Not whether he died or not.

We don't know. What we do know is that he was not defeated by Nebby. The prophecy failed. Tyre was still standing. Nebby never made it past the gates.

I’ll say you don’t seem to understand what prophesy is. What it is not is fortune telling.

So it is of no value then?

If The King of Tyre at the time recognized that he was not God, YHWH took mercy on him and let him off with a ransom paid to Nebuchadnezzar. Prophesies are given, like that for Nineveh, to elicit change, not to foretell the future.

What!? That is a ridiculous conclusion. You have no reason to think that he thought the he was God in the first place. And since the prophecy went on and on how he would suffer and his people would suffer and be utterly destroyed it is a failed prophecy. Now you are confirming my question about prophecies being worthless.

Alexander did a number on Tyre, making it a ruin of its former self. It was later built up to the city of Sur it is today.

"Sur" is merely the Arabic word for "Tyre". It was not renamed. Words can change quite a bit when they go through various languages. In fact the English pronunciation of "Tyre" is "tire" where the languages that it came from "tir" would be more accurate with a short "i". Also some ruins were preserved for historical purposes, just as in Rome and Athens. But at any rate it was not to have been ever found again and definitely not reinhabited.

And depending on whether it is of God or not, it will face the Isaiah prophesy in the end times. Even that one does not foretell destruction but humbling.

The Isaiah prophesy appears to be just another failed prophecy. Overly vague open ended prophecies are failed almost by definition. To be a prophecy it needs to be something unexpected in a reasonable time period. Otherwise it is no different from me predicting that you will see a red car.

Audie

Veteran Member
Day in ancient Hebrew had another meaning that 24 hours. It meant a length of time totally undefined. I've already noted the flood is out of my experience. But the Bible is about the Middle East as the world. I watched a program by a journalist named Jacoby that described the plagues of Egypt very scientifically. I'm not sure what you mean by the dead sea. Do you mean Sodom and Gomorrah?

Dead Sea scrolls? Pillars of salt?
I am kinda surprised you dont know
"Dead Sea".

No evidence that Sodom and Gommorah
ever existed.

Locust plagues can be seen on youtube.
Those are not in question.

Ordinary things the bible gets more or less
correct; why quibble. But to say it all does or
could check out via archaeology is to indulge
in fantasy.

Audie

Veteran Member
Obviously it is. You have more time for research than I do. Or you are still in a liberal school.

You said I know more than you; I said it aint
that hard. (To know more- just teasin' ya a bit)

"Still in a liberal school" is supposed to mean, what?
I am 33 yrs old!

In the event, I am satisfied that you are not into
even google-level research.

Cross sabres then, with one who is a
researcher, at your peril.

Audie=small, but intense! :D

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Do You Favor Belief Over Knowledge and Curiosity?

What is one's understanding of the word "knowledge", please?
Please give one's own understanding, not from a lexicon.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Any religion that tells you you have to "believe" in a set of supernatural propositions that have essentially no evidence to support them is a joke. Furthermore, the idea that your "beliefs" should determine whether you go to heaven or hell is also a pathetic joke.
Does not cover all aspects of human life. Isn't one becoming judgmental on the religions which are against one's world-view "beer" , please?
Regards