• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you care for others?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Yes, I do. On different levels tho, depending on what the person does.

My main concern for others is Hell fire. I'm a believer and believe in eternal Hell. I never ever want anyone, no matter what they do, go to Hell eternally.

My condolences to myself when someone hurts me is that maybe something did them harm and fell victim to it doing what they did to me, so I just let it pass and calm myself down.

I believe is it the humane approach to care for others just as you care for yourself. We have a saying in Islam that translates to "no one becomes a believer until they love for the others what they love for themselves".

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
Do you really care about anything other than yourself?

More specific: do you care about bad people, total strangers you find disgusting, repulsive, troubled, irresponsible, people with lack of tolerance for others, negative about everyone with whom they live, people with excessive self-destructive behavior?
If you do, how do you express your care? Do you fool yourself to be a carrying person? How do you fool yourself ( I make some donations, I pray for them, I buy them something to eat...) ?

I guess I would consider myself a caring person... One of the main reason I decided to join the Good Religion was because it contains useful tools and inspires me in regards to helping others, I feel. =)

When it comes to perfect strangers, it's mostly situational. If it's raining outside, and I see a mother holding a baby without an umbrella, I'll hold mine over her so her and her child can stay dry. I'm not a person of great means, but if I can help someone out who needs a bite to eat, I will grab them something. I offer my help too when folks need a hand. The key is keeping one's eyes open, and to look for situations when you CAN help, and when your help is wanted/needed. =)

As for bad people, the word "Bad" is subjective, and there are varying degrees... I have little care for people such as child molesters, for example, but if someone is stuck in a self destructive spiral, that's different... It's important to recognize when people are receptive to help, or when they would would benefit from it. Time spent on helping those who don't want it or in ways where it could harm them (such as giving money to a drug addict) is time and effort lost or spent badly, IMO. Time is precious, and should be spent wisely. =)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I generally save my care, time, attention, and resources for those whom I am responsible for.

The world would be a lot better off if everyone actually did this.

Covellite

If it's raining outside, and I see a mother holding a baby without an umbrella, I'll hold mine over her so her and her child can stay dry.
In cases like that, some mothers could be anxious because they may think that you have some other intentions :)
Am I the only one who find helping others, especially women (If you are male) is usually seen as stalking?
Other thing: if you want to give something (little toy) to a poor, almost abandoned and mistreated child, you could be easily declared as pedophile (of course, if you are male). People more easily accept help from women, especially if they "radiate" to be soft and carrying :)

Last edited:

ThirtyThree

More specific: do you care about bad people, total strangers you find disgusting, repulsive, troubled, irresponsible, people with lack of tolerance for others, negative about everyone with whom they live, people with excessive self-destructive behavior?
If you do, how do you express your care? Do you fool yourself to be a carrying person? How do you fool yourself ( I make some donations, I pray for them, I buy them something to eat...) ?

I have come to accept that everything I do, I do because I believe it will benefit me.

Corthos

Great Old One
In cases like that, some mothers could be anxious because they may think that you have some other intentions :)
Am I the only one who find helping others, especially women (If you are male) is usually seen as stalking?
Other thing: if you want to give something (little toy) to a poor, almost abandoned and mistreated child, you could be easily declared as pedophile (of course, if you are male). People more easily accept help from women, especially if they "radiate" to be soft and carrying :)

Hah! XD True. One must be practical, and never THRUST your help onto others. Not everyone wants it, and you can figure that out by reading body language. =)

Silverscale derg

I don't care for others in the way of humankind yet nature means a lot to me, humans however don't. Humans are self loathing and kills other animals for pointless reasons.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Old threads should be rehashed.

People that want to help themselves should be given the resources to do so if not the time, effort, and energy of another person. I think that's possible in today's world.

I have one condition on care and that is to not care too much for rotten souls. Repentant souls I'm more receptive too. Straight up genuine people I do care for even at the expense of myself. To sincerely mean well of others is half the battle. My main flaw is to care about people who drain my energy, and leave me out of gas. The nature of reality is so inward and selfish.

I think a lot of people never get a first chance nor a second chance in life. I think most people want to help themselves to be independent. That's why in the face of brutal capitalism, and institutional bigotry we need a system of charity to eliminate poverty. It's doable now, while in the past not so much. I think most people don't consider enough about this. They figure that those not in a position to help themselves should die out. Human nature sucks basically.

We have so much abundance, and technology and spend so much time not giving a damn about the general welfare of others. That's the ignorance of the systems we live under.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Old threads should be rehashed.

People that want to help themselves should be given the resources to do so if not the time, effort, and energy of another person. I think that's possible in today's world.

I have one condition on care and that is to not care too much for rotten souls. Repentant souls I'm more receptive too. Straight up genuine people I do care for even at the expense of myself. To sincerely mean well of others is half the battle. My main flaw is to care about people who drain my energy, and leave me out of gas. The nature of reality is so inward and selfish.
Sometimes its hard to tell who is a rotten soul. Sometimes rotten people hide it well, and other times people who appear rotten are suffering and unable to cope with it.
I think a lot of people never get a first chance nor a second chance in life. I think most people want to help themselves to be independent. That's why in the face of brutal capitalism, and institutional bigotry we need a system of charity to eliminate poverty. It's doable now, while in the past not so much. I think most people don't consider enough about this. They figure that those not in a position to help themselves should die out. Human nature sucks basically.
There are some systems of charity happening. Not enough, though.
We have so much abundance, and technology and spend so much time not giving a damn about the general welfare of others. That's the ignorance of the systems we live under.
Agreed.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Sometimes its hard to tell who is a rotten soul. Sometimes rotten people hide it well, and other times people who appear rotten are suffering and unable to cope with it.

There are some systems of charity happening. Not enough, though.

Agreed.
Perhaps my attitude is too grim. I agree it can be difficult to know who's got the best intentions, or worst, and who's unable to cope. I see your point.

Btw, I'm not against capitalism. I just think that it needs a balance to what it does. It needs regulations to negate it's abuses.

I also understand that people have no time to focus all their energy on helping others because of capitalism, and being in no position to help.

I think in today's world we need a system of charity, and perhaps an organization 100% focused on the problem of large portions of society wasting away. If there were something out there that focused on this problem then that might go a long way to solving a lot of troubles with humanity. It's better than assuming the worst of human nature. There's a lot of unknowns with human nature that go from horrific, to noble.

I think since Reagan we've had oligarchy, and monopoly, and the gutting of the middle class. I'm the furthest thing from a conservative. I find them to be back breaking oppressors. They cater to money interests as well. If you've ever seen Hillsdale college, and PragerU videos they are full of conservative propaganda. Blind greed, and money is king, work for you, and wealth for me is what it amounts to. Larger police force, bigger military, and laws that have no care for those who are broken down by the system. To me to serve conservative politics is nothing short of selling a big lie/falsehood that breaks down society and treats rugged hard working people like widgets and cogs in a runaway machine that only serves those who own the wealth.

There has to be the right balance of capitalism and charity. Capitalism on its own wild and free treats workers as units of production with a shelf life, and once their utility is gone their use is expired, they are discarded. I know people like this.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps my attitude is too grim. I agree it can be difficult to know who's got the best intentions, or worst, and who's unable to cope. I see your point.

Btw, I'm not against capitalism. I just think that it needs a balance to what it does. It needs regulations to negate it's abuses.
I haven't got a real well formed opinion on capitalism(or anything else in that category). I just believe the way we're doing things now isn't working for way too many people.
I also understand that people have no time to focus all their energy on helping others because of capitalism, and being in no position to help.
I think the increasingly solitary mindset we have isn't helping, either. At one point, you could discretely help a food insecure neighbor by sharing a meal. That would be seen as an odd action now.
I think in today's world we need a system of charity, and perhaps an organization 100% focused on the problem of large portions of society wasting away. If there were something out there that focused on this problem then that might go a long way to solving a lot of troubles with humanity. It's better than assuming the worst of human nature. There's a lot of unknowns with human nature that go from horrific, to noble.
How would you propose that go into effect?
I think since Reagan we've had oligarchy, and monopoly, and the gutting of the middle class. I'm the furthest thing from a conservative. I find them to be back breaking oppressors. They cater to money interests as well. If you've ever seen Hillsdale college, and PragerU videos they are full of conservative propaganda. Blind greed, and money is king, work for you, and wealth for me is what it amounts to. Larger police force, bigger military, and laws that have no care for those who are broken down by the system. To me to serve conservative politics is nothing short of selling a big lie/falsehood that breaks down society and treats rugged hard working people like widgets and cogs in a runaway machine that only serves those who own the wealth.
I was born when Reagan was in office, so I don't remember much of him. But, much of money does cater to more money...
There has to be the right balance of capitalism and charity. Capitalism on its own wild and free treats workers as units of production with a shelf life, and once their utility is gone their use is expired, they are discarded. I know people like this.
Humane capitalism.