• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Bow Your Head?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
15 jun 2018 stvdv 011 49
There are also certain prayers that are conversion prayers

Thanks I didn't know Christians did that voodoo like stuff; special spells to change others to their liking.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks I didn't know Christians did that voodoo like stuff; special spells to change others to their liking.
You thought I was only talking about Christians, but I was not. Yes some Christians do though.

Segev Moran

It was the girl's step-father who asked the pastor to lead the group in
prayer. I'm the girl's father.
sorry for the confusion
Is 30 seconds of one's life so valuable to where s/he would be offended?
I don't know, but some just do.
Usually it will be if they practice another religion.
We have people here that find it offensive singing the national anthem.
I can't really find a reasonable explanation but sadly the fact is that it does happen.

Japle

Personally, when I’m sitting at a public ceremony, especially one honoring veterans – Flag Day comes to mind – and some preacher gives a strictly Christian invocation, I wonder how the Jews and other non-Christians who served feel about being shut out. I wonder how the non-Christian soldiers who died defending religious freedom would feel.
It’s as if they (we) don’t matter or don’t even exist.
So, no. I don’t bow my head.

I put in 27 years in uniform, defending – among other things – their right to believe anything they want. I respect their right to believe, but I sure don’t respect their beliefs.

I don’t bow my head. Ever.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personally, when I’m sitting at a public ceremony, especially one honoring veterans – Flag Day comes to mind – and some preacher gives a strictly Christian invocation, I wonder how the Jews and other non-Christians who served feel about being shut out. I wonder how the non-Christian soldiers who died defending religious freedom would feel.
It’s as if they (we) don’t matter or don’t even exist.
So, no. I don’t bow my head.
Right: putting a Christian invocation in a public ceremony meant to honour a group of people worth honouring is basically giving a big middle finger to all the non-Christians who are part of the group being honoured.

Also, I think it’s pretty crass and disrespectful to use a ceremony like that to pimp a product, including a religion.

Today, as we remember the sacrifices of those who fought to defend our country, we’re reminded of how often they had to go without the cool, sparkling refreshment of Coca-Cola and how lucky we are today to be able to share a Coke with friends, all thanks to them...

I don’t really see a lot of difference between this and a religious invocation, except that religion tends to be more divisive.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, when I’m sitting at a public ceremony, especially one honoring veterans – Flag Day comes to mind – and some preacher gives a strictly Christian invocation, I wonder how the Jews and other non-Christians who served feel about being shut out.

As a non-Christian veteran, I can say that I never felt 'shut out.' I understand that I live and served in a predominantly Christian nation, and I understand that there are those that find solace in such an invocation.

We also should consider what clergy members from other faiths might be present to offer or wish to offer an invocation. AFAIK, if a rabbi or a cleric wished to offer an invocation at such an event, they would be permitted to do so.

Japle

I play in a municipal band that plays at 4th of July, Memorial Day, Flag Day and the moving Vietnam Wall ceremony every year. Only once has the invocation been given by anyone except a heavily-Christian minister and I believe that’s because I complained in writing to the folks running the Memorial Day ceremony.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
18 jun 2018 stvdv 011 69
I play in a municipal band that plays at 4th of July, Memorial Day, Flag Day and the moving Vietnam Wall ceremony every year. Only once has the invocation been given by anyone except a heavily-Christian minister and I believe that’s because I complained in writing to the folks running the Memorial Day ceremony.

Good you have done so IMO.

I remember an american saying "I have a dream"
Seems the Christians have forgotten about this

Something to do with racism
Seems similar to religionism

Last edited: