• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe we all have souls?

Alaric said:
What is it that makes me me? I would say that it's the way my brain is wired from birth, the connections made from my experiences I get from my senses, and the memories I have of those experiences. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago, although the connection remains through my memory. If I get part of my brain removed, my personality could be radically altered - even making me feel differently. I could lose my memory, and thereby react very differently to people and situations.

Does any of that go with you when you die? What would a soul consist of? Not memory. Not experiences. Both are dependent on the brain. Not even the initial configuration of my brain cells, since that could be affected in vitro. How then are 'you' be reborn or can 'you' go to heaven when everything that makes you 'you' is dependent on physical matter? And there can't be some other core unique thing about 'you' that gets transferred that would mean anything, because our self-awareness depends on memories and experiences. I think we can get so close to disproving the existence of a soul that any workable notions of what a soul is would be so watered-down as to be meaningless.
I have learned much in my experience as a Channel for Spirits who exist beyond Earth which is known as Everlasting Life.
The things I have learned from my teachers and from those I communicate with on a daily basis is that the body and the physical brain is a vessel that houses the Spirit while it walks the Earth but when that physical body dies the Spirit with all its memories and intelligence goes to the Afterlife and if that Spirit can find a human channel back on earth to work through the intelligence such as Einstein and many other great minds and some ordinary minds such as our relatives, neighbors and friends can find us and lern to communicate through us and teach us all the things I have learned from those in the After Life.
They have told me my purpose is to convince others that this is all true and in doing that we can prove that what Jesus said about Everlasting Life is also true.
Although I know these things its very difficult for me to prove these things to others because people tend to believe only what they personally see or personally experience and so the only way I know that others can learn the things I have and prove these things to themselves is for them to develop their only abilities to communicate and connect with their own Guides, relatives and friends in the After Life and ask questions of those Spirits and learn as I did.
Some of these minds who live beyond Earth a place we will all go one day have much to relate to Earth if we choose to listen to them and believe and then write about our own pesonal experiences so that we too can further the belief in these things.
I personally believe anyone who wants to can develop their own Psychic Abilities and learn to communicate with the After Life and then we can all become part of the educational process that may eventually lead us to the Scientific Proof we all want to prove life after Death.

ayani

i believe that all of us have spirits, or something within us that can respond to the beautiful, the transcendent, the uplifting. i believe in some form of life after death, though i don't know what that would look like or feel like.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
gracie said:
i believe that all of us have spirits, or something within us that can respond to the beautiful, the transcendent, the uplifting. i believe in some form of life after death, though i don't know what that would look like or feel like.

Have you ever considered whether there might be something like the reincarnation of spirits? Just curious.

ayani

Sunstone said:
Have you ever considered whether there might be something like the reincarnation of spirits? Just curious.

well....yes and no. when i read an article on Tibetan lamas who are reborn in children, and read about these children, i think there's got to be something to it. perhaps we are reborn- i know that i believe that which is within us- which animates us and responds to the world- must live on after the body dies. and that this part of us, being that which responds to the subtle, emotional, and uplifting continues after 'death' to seek these same things.

what do you belive, Sunstone?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Reincarnation makes a sort of intuitive sense to me, Gracie. It's quite hard for me to believe that it's not a reasonable possibility. Of course, I have no conclusive evidence for it. Nevertheless, if I were to bet on something, I'd give it a 50%/50% chance of being the case, just from intuition alone.

ayani

that's cool. it's funny, but i tend to trust others' intuition that i do my own 'reason'. maybe you're right. after all, if life is precious and our 'selves' survive death, it would make the most sense for us to return to life in some other form.

I don't believe in reincarnation myself..........although there is an old song that I love by the Indigo Girls which celebrates the idea! :rainbow1:
We were known to God before we were born and our souls will live on somewhere for eternity!
</IMG>

Trey of Diamonds said:
I love the Indigo Girls!

Hey Trey,
Me too! The name of the song about reincarnation is Galileo. Remember that one?
My favorite line from it is:

If we wait for the time till all souls get it right
then at least I know there'll be no nuclear annihilation
in my lifetime; I'm still not right

:angel2:

Trey of Diamonds

AllisonW70 said:
The name of the song about reincarnation is Galileo. Remember that one?

Sure do, one of many favorites of mine. Do you have 1200 Curfew? It is a live album and has not only some of their best but a lot of songs from other artists that they cover. Their version of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is beyond description.

Take care,

Milind2469

Do you believe we all have souls?
Sure. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't be writing this.

Just like my genes have all the data of my past lives, and which is not considered a miracle, my soul has the data recorded from my past lives.

All the deseases fought, and not fought by my forefathers, their remedies are there in genes. When I face a new one, my body-soul refer to the data and reacts.

The true yogi, refers to the soul, which is a fraction of the supreme power, to find solutions to live better.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I see the "soul" as the subjective self.

I identify myself as seperate from other entities through my body, and also through my perspective. This is unique, as compared to other entities. My existence in this state is defined and unique; the "blueprint" is eternal as is any form one wished to create. For instance, any sculpture that could be created from clay is already there, it just needs to be molded. Who I identify as "myself" is always there, it just needs its particular arrangement.

Pythagoreans (and, incidently, Nietzsche) described this with the idea of "total recurrence," in which, assuming the universe consists of finite matter and infinite time, all states of being will return in a never ending cycle. Thus, a form of reincarnation.

While I'm not completely sure I buy "total recurrence," I have no choice but to believe in the "blueprint" idea. The problem I muddle over is whether this subjective self is seperate from the body. A previous post argued that the subjective self is essentially physical. But I wonder...

We retain our sense of "self" throughout our lifetime. But, throughout our lifetime, our physical self changes. Memories even change, and can be misleading. The only thing that stays the same is DNA, but even that undergoes mutations throughout our lifetime.

It makes me wonder if perhaps there is some part of consiousness that is seperate from our body (not immaterial, just different from the body that eventually decays). Afterall, while we can talk of consciousness as a physical manifestation of our body, that still doesn't adequetly describe the sense of "self" (at least, not for me).

Despite my uncertainty of the physical existence of the soul, I still believe (even if irrationally) that the soul is the subjective self, and is a part of the overall consciousness of the universe (which may be described as God). I see nothing wrong with the irrationality, afterall, I've committed worse crimes of irrationality in my day;).

Besides, I have an imaginative side as well as a rational side, and I may as well use it!

Sorry for the long post. Had to get it off my chest.:)

Kay

Towards the Sun
Pythagoreans (and, incidently, Nietzsche) described this with the idea of "total recurrence," in which, assuming the universe consists of finite matter and infinite time, all states of being will return in a never ending cycle. Thus, a form of reincarnation.

While I'm not completely sure I buy "total recurrence," I have no choice but to believe in the "blueprint" idea. The problem I muddle over is whether this subjective self is seperate from the body. A previous post argued that the subjective self is essentially physical. But I wonder...

Hmmm. I've never heard the phrase "total recurrence" before, but I wonder if it encompasses what I mean when I say I hold a smidgeon of "process theology"? Basically, what I mean is that the manifestation of matter is neverending.

Anyway ... Frubals.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Neosnoia said:
Hmmm. I've never heard the phrase "total recurrence" before, but I wonder if it encompasses what I mean when I say I hold a smidgeon of "process theology"? Basically, what I mean is that the manifestation of matter is neverending.

Anyway ... Frubals.

It's also called "total return." I've heard of "process theology" but have never studied. Sounds the same, though! I'll have to look into it...

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Runt said:
After we shed the Body and the Personality only one thing exists. The Consciousness. The Consciousness is the little piece of God you have within you. You can have a little bit of Consciousness stuck in a body and call that a soul, but when the body dies the Consciousness immediately becomes indistinguishable from the vast pool of Consciousness because it is no longer contained. Individual “souls” do not survive, but rather are absorbed into the big “soul” (Consciousness) of God.

i do have an idea that the 'soul' can't just go nowhere when we die, theres just too much energy there for it to just fizzle out into nothingness in my eyes, i think it is recycled and spread out into every living thing and that regardless of religion/faith that we are all binded by the same energy!