• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that war is murder?

See Body

• Yes (explain in post)

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • No (explain in post)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Beats me

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

chris9178

In that case, perhaps we should NOT be "sitting where we are right now." Consider the murder of countless Native Americans by invading Pilgrims and their progeny--all in the name of God, of course.
Yes, and as we know the indians were all peace loving natives who sat around their campfires smoking peacepipes all day. They got along with everybody! Right???

Uh.... no.

Fact is they would have kept "murdering" each other had the settlers never come. Now if you want to justify it by saying "murdering" indians is ok so long as its indians doing it, then you're being hypocritical.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
chris9178 said:
Yes, and as we know the indians were all peace loving natives who sat around their campfires smoking peacepipes all day. They got along with everybody! Right???

Uh.... no.

Fact is they would have kept "murdering" each other had the settlers never come. Now if you want to justify it by saying "murdering" indians is ok so long as its indians doing it, then you're being hypocritical.
The fact is, the Native Americans were here first. We had no right to steal their land.

t3gah

there's an account in the old testament where two brothers avenge themselves upon an entire city because their sister was raped by the son of the king.

the law stated eye for an eye later on in exodus but the account of the father of the sons is in genesis. the father later on was doing a blessing on the children but said what they did was bad and that no one else should do like they had done. the father banishes them both from his land.

jacob
simeon
levi
dinah
hamor
shechem

genesis 34:25-27 & 49:5-7

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
chris9178 said:

Uh.... no.

I hear there are thousands of murders each year in the United States. Does that give another country the right to invade us? Perhaps by the logic of your statement regarding the Native Americans it would.

No*s

Captain Obvious
chris9178 said:

Uh.... no.

No, they weren't all peaceful, but they were attacked, their land was taken, and the European Americans broke their treaties repeatedly, while the Native Americans broke relatively few by comparison. Lastly there is RR's sentiment: they were here first.

Melody

I don't believe anyone can answer this question for another person. The bible is not clear on this. I can find just as many verses to support my right to protect myself and go to war as I can verses that say to love your enemy and turn the other cheek. Reminds me of the joke about the guy who picks two verses out of the bible to live by and ends up with "Judas went out and hanged himself" and "Go thou and do likewise."

I think each person is going to have to search their conscience and pray (if you have a God) for the right answer. So, in my opinion and for myself...

I do not believe it's wrong to defend myself or protect others. The bible says "Thou shalt not murder" not "Thou shalt not kill." If I can walk away, I will walk away. If I have to defend myself, I will do it with whatever force is necessary to protect myself and/or others.

For this same reason, I don't believe that war is necessarily wrong if it is in defense of the innocent. That usually has not been our government's motive for involvement, but rather their excuse. For example, during WWII our government knowingly allowed the Nazi's to anihilate hundreds of thousands of Jews and probably would never have gotten involved if it hadn't been for Pearl Harbor.

We are currently in a war with Iraq where our government said it was because they had WMD. I'm not sure how Georgie boy rationalizes that one with Christianity since it is clearly not a matter of self-defense and pre-emptive defense just doesn't show up anywhere in the bible. He now says it was to protect the innocents who were being slaughtered in Iraq. Ok....that might work except that we ignore the genocide in Rawanda and Darfur and continue to ignore countries who have just as horrible (or worse) human rights issues as Iraq.

Thank you all for your input and giving me the opportunity to really think about this topic.

chris9178

The fact is, the Native Americans were here first. We had no right to steal their land.
They're only allowed to steal each others? And what FACT says they were here first? Who's to say they didn't kill off the people that were here before them that we don't know about?

Not a convincing arguement at ALL.

chris9178

t3gah:
the law stated eye for an eye later on in exodus but the account of the father of the sons is in genesis. the father later on was doing a blessing on the children but said what they did was bad and that no one else should do like they had done. the father banishes them both from his land.
Well in context he cursed their vengeance.

Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations. 6 O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall. 7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel
Emphasis added.

Nobody here is arguing that vengefully killing is ok.

Now, if Abraham had cursed them for killing as a part of war, then he would be completely hypocritical.

Genisis 14:12-15

12 And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed. 13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram. 14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan. 15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
Sunstone:
I hear there are thousands of murders each year in the United States. Does that give another country the right to invade us? Perhaps by the logic of your statement regarding the Native Americans it would.
Really, some of you go and pick and choose parts of a persons post to discredit him, without intelligently assessing what's being said. I hope you don't take pride in that. I certainly try and understand what a person is saying before I challenge them on it.
But I'll do you a favor and explain it out for you this time.....
Taken in CONTEXT, the arguement wasn't about whether one has the right to invade based on murder. It was whether, as Retrorich argues:
we should NOT be "sitting where we are right now." Consider the murder of countless Native Americans by invading Pilgrims and their progeny--all in the name of God, of course.
Now that in itself can be an innocent stance. But to assume that "murdering of countless Native Americans" wouldn't have occured had the pilgrims not arrived, is beyond innocent, and into naive.
Do I fault Retrorich for what he/che believes? Not at all. He/she must be pretty considerate, or compassionate to some degree. The statement itself is, indeed, misleading.
I wasn't justifying the pilgrims actions based on the rate of murder..... There are plenty of other good reasons to justify it. But that's another arguement.

Now, in the future I hope that people will correctly read the articles, and understand the context before flapping off about something they're only imagining. I'll try and give the same consideration. Otherwise we'll be stuck on arguing the semantics as opposed to the issues!

Up next, No*s:

No, they weren't all peaceful, but they were attacked, their land was taken, and the European Americans broke their treaties repeatedly, while the Native Americans broke relatively few by comparison. Lastly there is RR's sentiment: they were here first.
I've addressed most af that issue already. Furthermore, I'd like to add for you No*s, since we share a considerable amount of beliefs due to our common religion, the Canaanites were kicked out by the Israelites from their land, and it was God's will. Who's to say that God didn't make things happen this way.

And please..... that last remark was for No*s and other Bible believers, so if it doesn't bear any credence to you, then it wasn't directed to you......

Melody - I agree with in most part.

No*s

Captain Obvious
chris9178 said:
Up next, No*s:

I've addressed most af that issue already. Furthermore, I'd like to add for you No*s, since we share a considerable amount of beliefs due to our common religion, the Canaanites were kicked out by the Israelites from their land, and it was God's will. Who's to say that God didn't make things happen this way.

That is a good question to the Christian.

I do believe the Conquest, but there is a key difference here. God didn't command it, and in the Post-Incarnation world, I don't think I'd give much credence to a spirit that was commanding me to commit genocide. The Church has replaced the people of Israel in Christian theology, and she has no standing army to conquer lands.

EDIT:

I just realized some serious ambiguity here. The "it" in "God didn't command it," refers to the European conquest of the Americas. I bet it's obvious...but with what I wrote it's equally possible to make the "it" refer to the Conquest, and the the post becomes, um, interesting.

Doodlebug02

No, he's killing but not murdering. Murdering is illegal killing. However, I will state that I am against war except for in cases of self defense. If you are being attacked then you have the right to defend yourself. Also, cases like World War II where another part of the world really needs your help can sometimes be justified as well. However, wars like the war in Iraq are not justified. Personally, I wish we could just avoid all wars. I generally consider myself to be a pacifist.

chris9178

To Holly,

If you were to stop watching the news and go to Iraq and talk to the people there I'm sure you'de feel differently. I'm not suggesting you do that, but it certainly gives a much fresher point of view. Saddam Hussein was Adolf Hitler to those people.
Now, the reason we wen't there is arguable since we've found no WMD, and I don't think they'll be showing up.
Nevertheless Iraqi's are immensly better off.