• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe that Jesus is the Word?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Bible tells you, the meaning of the name Jesus,
Matthew 1:23
Immanuel, God with us.
Matthew 1:25
And He was named Jesus, ,,

Which means JHVH with us.
..JHVH Jehovah and God mean the same..

Jesus's name is, JHVH who is with us, in meaning.

The name Jesus, isn't from Joshua, Yoheshuah, so forth.

Different name.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The Bible tells you, the meaning of the name Jesus,
Matthew 1:23
Immanuel, God with us.
Matthew 1:25
And He was named Jesus, ,,

Which means JHVH with us.

Jesus's name is, JHVH who is with us, in meaning.

The name Jesus, isn't from Joshua, Yoheshuah, so forth.

Different name.

Stop. You know what you're doing. Why did you skip verse 21?

1) The meaning is given:

Matthew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins.'

2) They actually aren't different names. Research.
Yeshua - Wikipedia

3) The meaning of Emmanuel is given as well. You qoute it. Jesus and Emmanuel are different names.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Matthew 5:37
But let your word be, Yes, Yes, No, No, and that which is more than these is of the evil.
I have no idea how that relates to what was being argued.

The name Jesus, is not from Yoheshuah/Joshua

That is why the Bible, does not say, Yoheshuah, or Joshua.

The name Jesus means Jehovah with us, which is not what Yoheshuah/Joshua, means. They are different names.

The Bible informs us of the meaning, so actually, you are the one claiming the Bible to be incorrect.
..God and Jehovah both mean God, Immanuel and Jesus have the same meaning..

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
I have no idea how that relates to what was being argued.

The name Jesus, is not from Yoheshuah/Joshua

That is why the Bible, does not say, Yoheshuah, or Joshua.

The name Jesus means Jehovah with us, which is not what Yoheshuah/Joshua, means. They are different names.

Jesus is an English form of the name.. If you can't understand that...

Good luck.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Jesus is an English form of the name.. If you can't understand that...

Good luck.

They do not have the same meaning. They are not the same name. The name Jesus is not derived from Yoheshuah/Joshua.

You are the one directly claiming the Bible to be contradicting itself, not me.

Since, the Bible clearly states, that His name shall be Immanuel, and He is called Jesus. Immanuel and Jesus have the same meaning, and neither Immanuel, or Jesus, is Yoheshuah/Joshua.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Stop. You know what you're doing. Why did you skip verse 21?

1) The meaning is given:

Matthew 1:21
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins.'

2) They actually aren't different names. Research.
Yeshua - Wikipedia

3) The meaning of Emmanuel is given as well. You qoute it. Jesus and Emmanuel are different names.
Wrong..

Jesus shall save, but the name Jesus, is not Yoheshuah/Joshua, or derived from it.

That is why, after it is said, His name shall be Immanuel, He is named Jesus.

Jesus, and Immanuel, have the same meaning. Joshua/Yoheshuah, is a different name altogether.

The Scripture is quite plain, here, actually.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can't argue sources, as your argument becomes multi-faceted, from extensive , or even revised etc, sources.
It comes from scholars who know old languages and cultures. What does yours come from?
Yoheshua literally isn't, the name of Jesus, in the Bible. Neither is it the same name, nor has the same meaning.
The NT is written in koine Greek and the name of Jesus is Ἰησοῦς. It's derived from Aramaic Yeshua, so scholars say, which is derived from Yehoshua (in English, Joshua).
It is one God, with more than one aspect, or person.
You mean a god of three faces? The word person is used in the Trinity doctrine to indicate an entirely distinct individual, so I'm trying to clarify the difference here.
False argument. Note that Jesus literally never says this, in the Bible.
If you prefer, Jesus in the bible literally says at John 17:3, αὕτη δέ ἐστιν ἡ αἰώνιος ζωή ἵνα γινώσκωσιν σὲ τὸν μόνον ἀληθινὸν θεὸν καὶ ὃν ἀπέστειλας Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν. The words I've put in bold translate as 'the only true god'.

Is that what you mean? If not, what do you mean?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Here are the common definitions of "word."

word
wərd/
noun
noun: word; plural noun: words
  1. 1.a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.
    synonyms: term, name, expression, designation, locution, vocable;
verb
verb: word; 3rd person present: words; past tense: worded; past participle: worded; gerund or present participle: wording
1.choose and use particular words in order to say or write (something).
"he words his request in a particularly ironic way"

Obviously this isn't what you mean by "Word," so just what is it? What is the definition of "Word"?

I believe this is every expressed thought of God.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If jesus is god, then he wouldn't be the radiance of anything. He would be radiance.

I think you are getting it! :D

Matt 17:2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.

When you look beyond the physical... He was radiance.

God speaks of christ as if he/christ were an angel. He puts christ (not himself) over the angels and speaks of christ as a separate person (a son) in relationship with himself. That relation-ship relates to separate people as one: say one friendship, one companionship, one marriage. We'd never say the husband and husband are the same people just because they are one in marriage.

I don't see where it is spoken as if he/Christ were an angel.

Hebrew 1:4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
(not superior among the angels)
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son; today I have become your Father” ? Or again, “I will be his Father, and he will be my Son” ?
("did God ever say " denotes that He never said it to any angel)

So, it doesn't support the position that Jesus was an angel

And , yes, when Jesus was born-again he is refered to as a son. but not so as The Word who was God. (John 1:1)

That's why christ/human/person when he died sat at god's right hand (not his own) and put over the angles (as your other scripture above). If he were god, he wouldn't need to be put anywhere because he would be already above the angels. He would be the creator himself.
I don't think so. When he came to the earth and took on sin, he had left his glory in Heaven and thus he would have to be put back with his glory.

Think about it. The word word in English can mean message (I send my word), a promise (I gave you my word), and, of course, a word itself (a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others),

or, :D Microsoft Word: A software program.

In the biblical sense, Word is Message of God made flesh.

Yes... it could, but it isn't. :) Besides, we are talking Greek and not English. :D

God/father made his son/jesus without sin; as so, making jesus equal to himself. While jesus is equal, he isn't the person he is equal to. It's really a play on language. The logic is that two things can be equal to each other, but they still remain to things separate in their own accord. Religion isn't an exception, unless, well, its a supernatural thing which, like Hinduism, kinda confuses the heck out of me with incarnations, gods, and so forth.

Except that the Apostle Thomas said Jesus was God and no one objected, not even Jesus. No play on language needed. Just simple straight forward statements.

Yes

Creator
Holy Spirit
and Christ

They do work together; but, it would be less confusing if you said that or stick with describing it by relationships. The word is really messes things up. No pun.

Anything not understood can be confusing. English was confusing for a while for me too... but when you learn, it is simple. :)

Separate (biblically speaking).

Spirit: Breathe of life
Soul: Life of the person (what's being "saved")
Body: Flesh and sin (to which the soul is being cleansed of)

When you use and; equal and relate two things with of, by, and image, there is no different purposes. They are all the same purpose. The only difference is you're using the word is where the bible doesn't use that word to refer to the relationship between spirit, soul, and flesh.
I think it is refered to in the Bible in multiple places including Romans 12:1-2 and 1 Thess 5:23 amongh many others.

Just trying to help one understand that we too are three and yet one. But we aren't God so at some point the analogy does deteriorate. But not the reality that there are still three parts of one God.

Hmm. Each person of the trinity is god, but god is not all people of the trinity?

Clarification??

Context "
Gotta be blunt. If its both, its paganism. Greek and Roman deify humans. Those they do are usually kings and people of religious honor. They deified the dead not the living. Those that did were human except for their eternal nature; thats what made them gods. They lived forever. Other than that, they were just like us."

just because some people diefy humans doesn't mean that Jesus is included in the mix. Besides, we didn't deify Jesus, Jesus (deity) decided to become human.

Actually, this is more history than spiritual. The Christian faith is in part Roman (little later in time) but definitely Catholic not protestant. As such, they still have traditions such as venerating those who died and treating those who have died no different than those physically living in heaven. What's interesting is non-liturgical protestants stepped away from the historical part that makes up christianity and just keep the spiritual part. They both go together. If I want to know about the bible and who christ is, I'd go to protestants. If I want the full shabang, history, personal understanding, devotion, and all, I'd go to the Catholic Church. None are bad in itself just they do have histories of confrontation.
I would have to disagree... Christianity was not Roman, it was Christian. With Constantinople it became Catholic and then with the "protest" it moved towards Christianity again.

As a matter of history :)

But I get the drift and certainly there is much to gain during the Catholic period.

Actually, biblically, it does say satan could mask himself as an angel of light.

Which could be making christians see one thing but in truth its something else. Never liked the word counterfeit and separating other religions as false from one's own truth. But I get what you're sayin'
it could :)

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
The question is, do you believe that Jesus is the Word?

If so, how is Jesus not God?
This is a question of interest to Christians. If you don't believe the claims of Christianity as matching reality (from history, science, archaeology, philosophy), the question has no meaning.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe it is highly unlikely that you know the thoughts of God better than Jesus does.
It isn't a matter of knowing the thoughts of god, but the concept itself.

You say the Word "is every expressed thought of God," and in as much as it's said that "Jesus is the Word," this would mean that Jesus is the thoughts of god. But If this was so then Jesus would have no reason to ask god, " My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Jesus would already know why.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It isn't a matter of knowing the thoughts of god, but the concept itself.

You say the Word "is every expressed thought of God," and in as much as it's said that "Jesus is the Word," this would mean that Jesus is the thoughts of god. But If this was so then Jesus would have no reason to ask god, " My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Jesus would already know why.

It was the thought of God...

Ps 22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

It was his thought a couple of thousand years before.

i've asked questions that I already knew the answers to, also.

So, yes, he was the expressed thought of God. He didn't say or do unless he saw and heard the Father do it first.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It was the thought of God...

Ps 22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

It was his thought a couple of thousand years before.

i've asked questions that I already knew the answers to, also.

So, yes, he was the expressed thought of God. He didn't say or do unless he saw and heard the Father do it first.
Really not following you here, but I do know that in Matthew 27:45-46 one reads.

45 Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?

Are you claiming this loud cry was a rhetorical question?