• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe Moses parted the Red Sea?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Does a glass of water have the same associations passed down through cultural tradition and expression as a God?

No. But that is irrelevant. Effectivity is independent from tradition. Astrology has also a big tradition.

By the way, do you think Apollo answered prayers, too?

Ciao

- viole

rosends

Sorry to hear that. But that would no likely be explained by the inexplicable Hebrew superstition against vocalizing God's name which appears over 6000 times in the Hebrew bible.
well, more likely the current lack of knowledge about the proper vowels and the nonexistence in the text of a J.

Manss

Without any doubt, that historical and miraculous event happened, as some other miracles happened in other periods of time. Believing in that paranormal event dependent on believing in the superior of the world that is creator of the world as well. That superior has described everything based on science and technology but he also is able to carry out somethings that science is unable to explain about them logically.

For example, one of the quality of fire is that to burn everything that has carbon or the other flammable elements, but God ordered it:" Be cold and harmless to Abraham!" and it didn't hurt him.
Science can't explain about a miracle, because miracle is a supernatural thing that is not as a routine in the universe. For instance, in normal mode, God never order the earth to move contrary to its known direction. The earth move constantly and scientifically in the direction that scientists have discovered in recent centuries. So it never go out from its specified orbit or never move in contrary to its direction. But may at a specific time ( based on a particular purpose), God changes the direction of the earth! It sounds as an impassible event scientifically, but is not impossible supernaturally.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Simple.
Moses was appointed by Jehovah as his visible representative. Otherwise, who would speak to Pharoah?

Id say, therefore, it was both Moses and God that parted it. I wouldnt separate Moses because he is human given that he is chosen to do the work itself even though he wasnt the source of it.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
And given they didn't want the future to learn about Akkenaten or Hatshepshut and yet we still know about them, clearly "stricken from every stone and pylon" is not 100% effective.

Ah, yes! That's a good point!

It's just about the only Exodus tale that doesn't pretend visually that the Middle East is filled with white people. :)

One of the reasons I like it. It visually acknowledges the fact that Hebrews are not white, and that Egyptians are, you know, African. LOL

Have it almost completely memorized. It's great overblown camp. :)

DeMille tries so hard to be "epic" and "glorious" that it ends up hilariously overacted. I can't remember many scenes where someone just talks normally.

I think I've heard that as much.

Isn't baptism asking water to literally wash away your bad habits?

Hm... never thought about it that way. Perhaps, though I'd use figuratively, not literally. ;)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
No. But that is irrelevant. Effectivity is independent from tradition.

Hardly.

You suggested that a theist would get just as many "hits", under the assumption that what one believes about prayer, as well as what is being prayed for, is entirely irrelevant to the effect it has on the one praying.

You, an atheist, would get as many hits from a glass of water as any God. As an agnostic polytheist, though I rarely pray, I can attest that praying to, or at least invoking, something that I actually believe has power, particularly one that's constantly reinforced through culture, has an influence on my behavior and confidence, making me, in effect, the instrument of my own prayers' fulfillment, together with the rest of my culture. I'm not, and have never been, a monotheist, but I suspect the same psychology is going on.

It's probably one of the reasons why in some fantasy settings, Gods' powers is directly related to the number of worshipers they have. The authors of such works realized this phenomenon, either consciously or subconsciously.

Obviously the effectiveness does depend on what one is praying for. No amount of prayer, to any God, water glass, or even Sun herself, is gonna make her reverse course, for instance.

By the way, do you think Apollo answered prayers, too?

Why are you asking about it in the past tense? He's still worshiped.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Obviously the effectiveness does depend on what one is praying for. No amount of prayer, to any God, water glass, or even Sun herself, is gonna make her reverse course, for instance.

Obviously. And that is why, probably, I have such an impressive hit ratio when I pray to my glass of water. i pray to make the sun come up in the morning, and it seems to always work.

Why are you asking about it in the past tense? He's still worshiped.

i ask becaue Apollo was believed in the past too. And even if he answers prayers today, that does not entail that my question about him having answered them in the past is somewhat weird.

So, does He? And/or did He?

Ciao

- viole

Shad

Veteran Member
there is a large population on this earth that will not be convinced their beliefs are shallow

Yes I know, they are the people that think the Exodus narrative is a historical fact.

your evidence is tangible?

Yes. Maybe spend some time researching the topic you are talking about before talking about it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Obviously. And that is why, probably, I have such an impressive hit ratio when I pray to my glass of water. i pray to make the sun come up in the morning, and it seems to always work.

Still, that's also an example of something that's gonna happen, anyway, making such a prayer meaningless. Worship of Sun, at least for me, would involve more greetings and honorings, not prayer. (I say "would", because... me and Sun don't exactly get along, so my "worship" of her largely just consistes of listening to Rammstein's "Sonne" in the morning.)

i ask becaue Apollo was believed in the past too. And even if he answers prayers today, that does not entail that my question about him having answered them in the past is somewhat weird.

So, does He? And/or did He?

You'll have to ask his worshipers. I don't know the details of how Apollo is worshiped, or what sorts of prayers are made to him.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Still, that's also an example of something that's gonna happen, anyway, making such a prayer meaningless. Worship of Sun, at least for me, would involve more greetings and honorings, not prayer. (I say "would", because... me and Sun don't exactly get along.)

Do you worship a giant ball of hydrogen?

You'll have to ask his worshipers. I don't know the details of how Apollo is worshiped, or what sorts of prayers are made to him.

Mmmh. I am not sure I know anybody who worships Apollo.

Ciao

- viole

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Do you worship a giant ball of hydrogen?

(Check the edit)

That's what Sun is when wholly independent of human experience.

Do you experience Sun solely as a giant (nearly perfect) sphere of plasma that's fusing hydrogen into helium?

Mmmh. I am not sure I know anybody who worships Apollo.

Pretty sure there's a few Hellenics on this board.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
(Check the edit)

That's what Sun is when wholly independent of human experience.

Do you experience Sun solely as a giant (nearly perfect) sphere of plasma that's fusing hydrogen into helium?

Yes. You do not?

Ciao

- viole

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Which is merely

Things are rarely "merely" anything.

a simplification of what actually happens with said giant ball of hydrogen.

Hardly. It's a description of my experience with Sun. It would be the case regardless of the actual mechanics behind these properties.

I am not an astronomer, and so have no obligation to remove my biases in regads to my relationship with Sun.

Last edited:

Handyman355a

No If you follow the thread. God says to Moses He will raise up a Prophet like Moses and put His words in His mouth. Jesus claims to be that prophet stating He speaks in Parables. If this be the case then it is the same God of Moses claiming to speak in parables. Thus making the words of Moses a parable as well.