• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe it is possible to experience death?

Gambit

Do you believe it is possible to experience death (i.e. the cessation of existence)?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is the difference between experiencing death as asked by the OP and just plain dying?

Kolibri

my belief is based off of scriptures such as Psalms 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10

Ecc 9:5,6,10 - There is hope for whoever is among the living, because a live dog is better off than a dead lion. For the living know (or "are conscious.") that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, (or "wages.") because all memory of them is forgotten....Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, (or "Sheol.") where you are going.

Ps 146:3,4 - Do not put your trust in princes (or "nobles.") Nor in the son of man, who cannot bring salvation. His spirit (or "breath.") goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.

While dying one is still only "mostly dead."..er...still living. Once dead there is nothing left to experience with. (The idea that when someone is dead is truly dead also adds weight to the value of a resurrection - the restoring of life to the one that died).

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
I don't know about you, but I experience 'sleep' while I am sleeping. Not death.
wrong......you experience sleep when you wake .......ahhh that was a nice sleep ...

you don't know your asleep ...zero

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Beats me. I thought everyone died one day. When I sleep I often dream so am I aware I'm sleeping?
This thread is confusing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We all experience death on a daily basis. As obligate heterotrophs, we kill other organisms to sustain ourselves. Further, what we call death is all around us, happening, all the time. It seems to me that it is quite impossible to avoid experiencing death.

Do you believe it is possible to experience death (i.e. the cessation of existence)?
If all goodness is not inside you then that is death, even while you are living on earth. I am the light I dwell with you in death. I reveal who you are. You form a relationship with me after death. And according to you are you will have to endure me inside of you. I will either save you or destroy you. In evil, you are most certainly destroyed--that is because you were ignorant of me from the beginning. Try to find mercy in me, you will find none. The truth is not merciful and I am the truth. I reveal who you are to yourself and that is not merciful.

Gambit

We all experience death on a daily basis. As obligate heterotrophs, we kill other organisms to sustain ourselves. Further, what we call death is all around us, happening, all the time. It seems to me that it is quite impossible to avoid experiencing death.

Let me clarify. Do you believe it is possible to experience your own death (i.e. cessation of existence).