• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Do you believe in an afterlife?"

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
(Revival of another thread not in debate Forum)

Why not, please?
If one has a life today, is anybody in doubt of the tomorrow (after today), please? Right?
Have a hope, we pray one lives after-today and enjoy life! Right?

Regards

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
(Revival of another thread not in not debate Forum)

Why not, please?
If one has a life today, is anybody in doubt of the tomorrow (after today), please? Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Why not, please?

Regards

for being friendly and rating my post as friendly, please.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Death is the permanent end of an individual life imo.
Is the concept an Abrahamic one?
I agree with one that death means:
"
death (n.)
Old English deaþ "total cessation of life, act or fact of dying, state of being dead; cause of death," in plural, "ghosts," from Proto-Germanic *dauthuz (source also of Old Saxon doth, Old Frisian dath, Dutch dood, Old High German tod, German Tod, Old Norse dauði, Danish død, Swedish död, Gothic dauus "death"), from verbal stem *dau-, which is perhaps from PIE root *dheu- (3) "to die" (see die (v.)). With Proto-Germanic *-thuz suffix indicating "act, process, condition."
death | Etymology, origin and meaning of death by etymonline

is the permanent end of an individual life, in this world, and one who dies never returns to this world again materially and physically, please.
Yeshua (aka Jesus) did not die a cursed death on the Cross, he died naturally, one gets to know, and he is never to return again in this world, it transpires, please.
It is for this that his Second Coming has been in the form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1838-1908 who has been naturally born of a father and mother but he is like Yeshua (aka Jesus) the Israelite Messiah in character and deeds, I understand, please.

Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is for this that his Second Coming has been in the form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1838-1908 who has been naturally born of a father and mother but he is like Yeshua (aka Jesus) the Israelite Messiah in character and deeds, I understand, please.
What did Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (raḥimaAllāh) do in his coming?

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
Your definition/description of 'afterlife' as being if I'm alive today and am still alive tomorrow, is puerile.
Consequently, I'll ignore it and go with, "Life after death"

And, no, I do not believe in it because there is no evidence to prove it happens.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I agree with one that death means:
"
death (n.)
Old English deaþ "total cessation of life, act or fact of dying, state of being dead; cause of death," in plural, "ghosts," from Proto-Germanic *dauthuz (source also of Old Saxon doth, Old Frisian dath, Dutch dood, Old High German tod, German Tod, Old Norse dauði, Danish død, Swedish död, Gothic dauus "death"), from verbal stem *dau-, which is perhaps from PIE root *dheu- (3) "to die" (see die (v.)). With Proto-Germanic *-thuz suffix indicating "act, process, condition."
death | Etymology, origin and meaning of death by etymonline

is the permanent end of an individual life, in this world, and one who dies never returns to this world again materially and physically, please.
Yeshua (aka Jesus) did not die a cursed death on the Cross, he died naturally, one gets to know, and he is never to return again in this world, it transpires, please.

Regards

We partially agree then! The return of "me" I believe may be as matter/energy that becomes part of another life. This may be rather a slim chance in the short term, but hey we have eternity to move this stuff around. I put my mother's ashes in the soil of a large garden pot and she was "reborn" as her favourite flowers. :herb::sunflower::tulip::tanabata::herb:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Why not, please?

Regards

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Death is the permanent end of an individual life imo.
Is the concept an Abrahamic one?

individual, ego, personality is the problem. otherwise being is permanent. now whether the being is aware of previous/future forms is the real question. there is no after, just as there is no before in being

HonestJoe

Why not, please?
Because I've been presented with no good reason to believe. There are a vast range of different, often contradictory, claims for various forms of afterlife but none of them have any kind of clearly defined explanation (indeed many fall under the age old "It is beyond human understanding" canard) and all of the diffident events or phenomena sometimes presented as evidence for an afterlife (though they're often presented as evidence for other "supernatural" things too) could be explained by various other causes, known or as yet unknown.

If someone thinks I should believe in some specifically defined afterlife, they need to strongly support that belief, not simple ask "why not?".

I'm not so arrogant as to believe that tomorrow won't happen if I'm not alive. Tomorrow just relies on the ongoing existence of the Earth and Sun (and arguably, somebody to observe them). :cool:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, @paarsurrey . I neither believe, nor want, nor see any upside to the idea of afterlives.

At some deep level I find the popularity of that idea rather weird and more than a bit worrisome.

Perhaps in part because I have seen up close how unhealthy that belief can be, both for Abrahamists and (even more) for animists (Kardecist Spiritism is very popular here in Brazil). There are no boundaries to the levels of self-deception, emotional abuse, unhealthy attitudes and arrogance that are fed by beliefs in afterlives.

But even taking aside those practical reasons to object to the belief in afterlives, I also find it rather unconvincing. It is just too blatantly a form of unhealthy wishful thinking gone astray.

We know with plenty enough certainty what happens after death. It is not a difficult phenomenon to observe and understand, nor a rare one. We no more wonder what will happen after death than we wonder what will happen to wet clothing exposed to the wind and sun.

What does exist and ought to be deal with in a sober way are fears and feelings of loss triggered by the perception and remembrance of mortality. There is no good reason for us to nurture those fears and feelings, but many people do just that anyway.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Why not, please?

Regards
Why? You could have a cancer today, and with a good surgeon, not have it tomorrow. You could have a car today, and if there was a clever car thief, not have it tomorrow. So why does having life today imply life tomorrow?

At least in one sense, you would have to admit to this, because if (and it is a huge IF) there were an "after-life," it could not be the same as the one you have now. For one thing, you won't be taking any of your body parts with you, and that could play havoc with your ability to truly enjoy your houris.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your definition/description of 'afterlife' as being if I'm alive today and am still alive tomorrow, is puerile.
Consequently, I'll ignore it and go with, "Life after death".
Buddha said 'you are reborn every moment'.
I too dismiss birth and death. What constitutes us is eternal.
now whether the being is aware of previous/future forms is the real question.
How does it matter? Part of me will be in a cockroach, another will be in flower. Simple.
For one thing, you won't be taking any of your body parts with you, and that could play havoc with your ability to truly enjoy your houris.
Ah, after-life concerns the soul and God. You get a 'divine', 'heavenly' body which is not affected by sorrows, illness or wants.

Last edited:
If one has a life today, is anybody in doubt of the tomorrow (after today)

Good point!
Most Atheists probably go to bed thinking they will get up the next day. They plan things ahead of time. Book vacations etc. but they are not planning to seek God's immediate kingdom after their "transition". They are not obtaining their passport and their identity. They probably don't believe there is such a thing called "souls". They usually don't have a response regarding the origin of consciousness.
By default, they are planning to fade away into nothingness! IMO

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
one doesn't stop/begin in being. even nature recycles
This notion of "recycling" seems silly to me. I can recycle the metal in my toaster into any number of other things -- not one of which is a toaster. The toaster, once taken apart and melted down, has ceased to exist, and nothing that it could once do will it ever do again.

The elements that make up my body, once my body has ended it's present state of living, will be food for worms, then robins, then owls. Some will be recycled into grass or flowers or trees -- none of which will be me in any meaningful sense whatsoever. I am not the stuff I am made of. I am more than that sum, but once that "more" has ceased to be, all that will be left is the stuff.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The elements that make up my body, once my body has ended it's present state of living, will be food for worms, then robins, then owls. Some will be recycled into grass or flowers or trees -- none of which will be me in any meaningful sense whatsoever. I am not the stuff I am made of. I am more than that sum, but once that "more" has ceased to be, all that will be left is the stuff.
Right, all that is left is THE STUFF, Brahman. 'Me' lasts till life lasts, after that there is no me. Whether it makes sense or not, that is besides the point. It makes perfect sense to me. "Sarvam khalu idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman - Mandukya Upanishad)