• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Do you believe in an afterlife?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe in an afterlife in one of two destinations; eternal life with the Source/Creator of life or eternal separation. I believe this because God has provided the information through His divine revelation to in the biblical scriptures. Otherwise, without such information being given, humans just make up all kinds of imaginary ideas on the subject.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No. From what I can see, life is a complex collection of chemical processes and consciousness is a result of neural activity in our brains.

When we die, those chemical processes stop because the chemical potential is no longer driven by the presence of oxygen. The neural activity stops and what I think of as 'me' ceases to exist.

I didn't exist 60 years ago, and I won't exist in 60 more years. But I have the time right now.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I voted, Yes.
I do think there is an afterlife. But I'm pretty sure we just return right here, I to this plane of existence.

And that we are reincarnated based upon our merit.

leroy

The poll is open for everyone to answer, regardless of religious beliefs or the lack thereof.

If you answered yes, please explain why you believe in an afterlife. If you answered no, please explain why you don't believe in an afterlife. If you answered "unsure," then please explain why you are unsure. I decided to post my thread in the Religions Q&A forum rather than in the Religious Debates forum because I'm more interested in a civil discussion than in a vigorous debate on the subject. As always, please be respectful towards the members that you don't agree with. Thank you, in advance, for your response.

Sgt. Pepper
Yes because that is that Jesus said (or at least implied)

And given that there are good reasons to think that Jesus had knowledge and authority about theological stuff, he is in good position to know if there is an afterlife or not

firedragon

Veteran Member
The poll is open for everyone to answer, regardless of religious beliefs or the lack thereof.

If you answered yes, please explain why you believe in an afterlife. If you answered no, please explain why you don't believe in an afterlife. If you answered "unsure," then please explain why you are unsure. I decided to post my thread in the Religions Q&A forum rather than in the Religious Debates forum because I'm more interested in a civil discussion than in a vigorous debate on the subject. As always, please be respectful towards the members that you don't agree with. Thank you, in advance, for your response.

Sgt. Pepper

I believe it's "Yes", and I believe because I believe God said so.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I don't believe consciousness is possible without material structure, and that the destruction of the material structure will destroy the consciousness.

The complex amalgam of memory, feeling, thinking derived from sensory input, neural pathways and endocrine function will die with this unique body. And I'm okay with that. Because anything else wouldn't really be 'me.'

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Sgt. Pepper
Actually more like a continuation of life.
The soul just changes location.
Heaven or Hades.

Clara Tea

Sgt. Pepper

Dead Puppies lyrics by Dr. Demento - original song full text. Official Dead Puppies lyrics, 2022 version | LyricsMode.com

Dr. Demento song: Dead Puppies:

We could ask a dead person.

We could get a dead puppy. He doesn't come when we call him. When I put a leash on him, and take him for a walk, he does bounce along behind me, every time he hits a rock. He's great a playing dead (even better than my neighbor's pet possum (a very sad pet to have, since you cry at least once per day)). He doesn't bark much. He doesn't eat much. He doesn't procreate much.

Some kids don't understand the concept of death. "Why doesn't mommy get me breakfast instead of lying on top of the stove sizzling?"

Some people turn to God when their loved ones die. My aunt Olive did. She was a teacher. . . she'll teach YOU to mess with her. She taught bible studies. When she had her second stillborn child, she turned to God in a big way, and so did the rest of us (if we wanted to continue living, that is. . . she was a feisty broad). Her church (she was part of it) would writhe on the floor, babbling in tongues (presumably the language of God, and presumably communicating with God). Don't worry, we were not in the hands of some lunatic, all of the church members were doing it. Several of them decided to join God in heaven, while still others sent others to heaven at the request of God (the police took exception--so did psychologists). They argued, that God controlled them, and they asked the psychologists to talk to their invisible, non-interacting, God for verification. At least the other people in the asylum see their dead friends, too (Elvis, Marvin Matian, Bugs Bunny, et al).

When we experience senseless death of a loved one, our minds try to make sense of it (and it is senseless, so there is no sense). Extreme shock and depression plays havoc with our minds.

https://digitalcommons.ciis.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1094&context=ijts-transpersonalstudies

DEARTH OF DEATH STUDIES (website above): There has been a dearth of studies of those who suffered psychological breakdowns and those who had paranormal experiences.

http://hpri.fullerton.edu/Community/documents/psychicSelfDefense.pdf

The hypertext link (above) discusses the psychological breakdowns and nervous exhaustion leading to perceived paranormal events. The link above suggests Nicholl's Dream Psychology, and Hart's Psychology of Insanity.

Insane asylums are filled with people who believe that they see things or hear things.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you answered yes, please explain why you believe in an afterlife.
I answered yes. The primary reason I believe in an afterlife is because of what my religion teaches about the afterlife, although I have also read other books about the afterlife that confirm in my mind what my religion teaches. I am absolutely certain that there is an afterlife where the soul continues and takes on another form, a spiritual body. However, religion teaches that the nature of the soul after death and the nature of the world beyond is a mystery. We are not to focus on the afterlife, but rather we are instructed to focus on our life in this world.

“The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High…… The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 156-157

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Yes I do. Based on the idea that nothing ever just goes away, but rather transforms. New creations from this life onto the next life x infinitum.

Clara Tea

I think that people pursue happiness. Even the 1776 Declaration of independence says it...humans deserve happiness and pursue happiness.

The problem is that: how can you be happy, unless all the others are happy?
The awareness of that, that is all human beings deserve happiness, and their pursuit of happiness is a must for everyone, is what I call being at peace with the world. And being at peace with oneself.

That peace I call it afterlife, since it transcends death.

Right to pursue happiness (not catch it).

Suave

Simulated character
I plan on having my consciousness being linked into a computerized simulation of a virtual reality world.

I hope this can be accomplished by me being subjected to 1. Brain to computer interface 2. Replacement of neurons with synthetic circuitry 3. Simulation construction 4. Permanent residency within the Matrix.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes indeed. Life and death are a state of consciousness.

Regards Tony
If I was not a Baha'i, I would probably not understand what you meant by what you said. ;)

I am guessing what you mean by that is that we are conscious in this life and we will also be conscious after the death of the physical body, when the soul takes on an other form?

In other words, our consciousness will continue in the afterlife, which is really a continuation of this life.