• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Do you believe in an afterlife?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clara Tea

I think that people pursue happiness. Even the 1776 Declaration of independence says it...humans deserve happiness and pursue happiness.

The problem is that: how can you be happy, unless all the others are happy?
The awareness of that, that is all human beings deserve happiness, and their pursuit of happiness is a must for everyone, is what I call being at peace with the world. And being at peace with oneself.

That peace I call it afterlife, since it transcends death.

John Locke & The Pursuit of Happiness

The phrase "pursuit of happiness" was coined by the English philosopher John Locke" (according to the website above). Many of Locke's ideas were incorporated into the Declaration of Independence and other documents.

Locke: "The necessity of pursuing happiness. . . the foundation of liberty."

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If you answered yes, please explain why you believe in an afterlife.
I've had a Near Death Experience; where I can explain the afterlife in quantum physics from what I've seen, and from the global religious ideas.

In my opinion. :innocent:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I was not a Baha'i, I would probably not understand what you meant by what you said. ;)

I am guessing what you mean by that is that we are conscious in this life and we will also be conscious after the death of the physical body, when the soul takes on an other form?

In other words, our consciousness will continue in the afterlife, which is really a continuation of this life.

This is given in the Bible. Life and death are spiritual consciousness. Let the dead bury the dead. So yes there is an afterlife, but one can enter that in a state of consciousness, as alive or dead.

Little was offered as to attract only those that wanted to ask. :);)

Regards Tony

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
If I was not a Baha'i, I would probably not understand what you meant by what you said. ;)

I am guessing what you mean by that is that we are conscious in this life and we will also be conscious after the death of the physical body, when the soul takes on an other form?

In other words, our consciousness will continue in the afterlife, which is really a continuation of this life.

That's something I've struggled with over the years. I understand consciousness, but not remembering past lives. I've been under the impression that we start over as brand new creations, perhaps while retaining genetic and learned behavior instictually.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
How do you vote and why.

I voted yes, but my present beliefs about the afterlife have drastically changed since I was a Christian. I know that you're familiar with my posts and my threads in the paranormal activities forum, but I'll explain my beliefs about the afterlife here too. To be honest, my beliefs have dramatically changed as a result of my experiences as a medium and sensitive. For instance, I no longer trust the Bible's depictions of the afterlife, and I no longer believe that the spirit world is constrained to either heaven or hell. In fact, I don't believe in heaven or hell any more. The afterlife, in my opinion, is an eternal state where spirits (human spirits and non-human entities) are free to come and go whenever they please and are not limited by the laws of time and space. I believe that spirits can travel between the spirit world and the physical world as often as they like, by either coming through a spiritual vortex or a spirit portal. Furthermore, I believe that human spirits can either choose to cross over into the spirit world or they can choose to stay in the physical world and be earthbound. That being said, I also believe that a human spirit can get stuck in the physical world and that the spirit will need the help and guidance of a psychic medium to cross over into the spirit world. And finally, I believe that reincarnation of spirits is possible too.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted yes, but my present beliefs about the afterlife have drastically changed since I was a Christian. I know that you're familiar with my posts and my threads in the paranormal activities forum, but I'll explain my beliefs about the afterlife here too. To be honest, my beliefs have dramatically changed as a result of my experiences as a medium and sensitive. For instance, I no longer trust the Bible's depictions of the afterlife, and I no longer believe that the spirit world is constrained to either heaven or hell. In fact, I don't believe in heaven or hell any more. The afterlife, in my opinion, is an eternal state where spirits (human spirits and non-human entities) are free to come and go whenever they please and are not limited by the laws of time and space. I believe that spirits can travel between the spirit world and the physical world as often as they like, by either coming through a spiritual vortex or a spirit portal. Furthermore, I believe that human spirits can either choose to cross over into the spirit world or they can choose to stay in the physical world and be earthbound. That being said, I also believe that a human spirit can get stuck in the physical world and that the spirit will need the help and guidance of a psychic medium to cross over into the spirit world. And finally, I believe that reincarnation of spirits is possible too.
I can't help but feel you are ripe to learn from eastern based (Asian Indian) wisdom traditions like Vedic (Hindu) and Theosophical traditions where so much of what you experience is detailed and diagramed by many masters,

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I can't help but feel you are ripe to learn from eastern based (Asian Indian) wisdom traditions like Vedic (Hindu) and Theosophical traditions where so much of what you experience is detailed and diagramed by many masters,

Thank you for your suggestion, my friend. I'm interested in learning more, so please send me a PM with more details.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

I believe God is the best of all possible creators and would not create a world like this, except it has infinite meaning and purpose. The reason without infinite reward or punishment, the whole thing is a joke and meaningless. If it's just a lesson as some Kahens (sorcerers who channel devils) say, it's meaningless. If incarnations till you get it right, it's meaningless, life, it's a guarantee of success and overlooks and doesn't reward one's life nor punishes the evil ones for their evil choice.

I believe infinite doubling and doubling reward and similarly believe if one dies in the direction of evil, the punishment is infinite amplifying. The gates of hell are just different type of punishment and the speed of amplification is different, but as Quran says 'for everyone is doubling of the punishment if you only knew".

The reward and best reward in paradise is love of God and his light, it's looking at the favors of God in paradise which the center of it is Ahlulbayt (a). Ahlulbayt (a) are the center of reality of paradise and also, they are related to Angelic reality, and Angels reality is linked to the reality of how "the fire" and "painful" punishment occurs. Because inwardly, evil, is hell, and our actions will come to life.

I believe right now hell and paradise is hidden, when dying, it's reality is more hidden to disbelievers although they gain a different type of sense, they don't realize the punishment they are in, and only the day of judgment, will they recognize hell and will it be brought to view.

Believers after dying, because they gain spiritual organs, taste of paradise, but even they won't know it's full appreciation till the day of judgment. It's then the rivers of light, the Ahlulbayt (a) are seen for the wonders they are.

God through linking himself to us and through pressure of death and time, has created life of limited time but with infinite result and meaning. We get it wrong, we pay the price forever, we get it right, and we get rewarded. This is what good and evil is. It's not a joke, and it's not something to risk. Far above it will God not pressure creation to be good nor pressure them to absolve from being evil. Death is a reality none can escape.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Salam

I believe God is the best of all possible creators and would not create a world like this, except it has infinite meaning and purpose. The reason without infinite reward or punishment, the whole thing is a joke and meaningless. If it's just a lesson as some Kahens (sorcerers who channel devils) say, it's meaningless. If incarnations till you get it right, it's meaningless, life, it's a guarantee of success and overlooks and doesn't reward one's life nor punishes the evil ones for their evil choice.

I believe infinite doubling and doubling reward and similarly believe if one dies in the direction of evil, the punishment is infinite amplifying. The gates of hell are just different type of punishment and the speed of amplification is different, but as Quran says 'for everyone is doubling of the punishment if you only knew".

The reward and best reward in paradise is love of God and his light, it's looking at the favors of God in paradise which the center of it is Ahlulbayt (a). Ahlulbayt (a) are the center of reality of paradise and also, they are related to Angelic reality, and Angels reality is linked to the reality of how "the fire" and "painful" punishment occurs. Because inwardly, evil, is hell, and our actions will come to life.

I believe right now hell and paradise is hidden, when dying, it's reality is more hidden to disbelievers although they gain a different type of sense, they don't realize the punishment they are in, and only the day of judgment, will they recognize hell and will it be brought to view.

Believers after dying, because they gain spiritual organs, taste of paradise, but even they won't know it's full appreciation till the day of judgment. It's then the rivers of light, the Ahlulbayt (a) are seen for the wonders they are.

God through linking himself to us and through pressure of death and time, has created life of limited time but with infinite result and meaning. We get it wrong, we pay the price forever, we get it right, and we get rewarded. This is what good and evil is. It's not a joke, and it's not something to risk. Far above it will God not pressure creation to be good nor pressure them to absolve from being evil. Death is a reality none can escape.

Bahai? I have a Brazilian brother who's Bahai. I think in natural terms, good being pleasant and evil being unpleasant and life a way for us to navigate through these channels - an inherent navigation system if you will.

Understanding, logic, intelligence all vital to effective navigation and based on current, present tense realities. Going against the grain may seem haphazard to some and may result in unpleasant experiences, but looking forward at desired goal, it may be worth the growing pangs and discomfort.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bahai? I have a Brazilian brother who's Bahai. I think in natural terms, good being pleasant and evil being unpleasant and life a way for us to navigate through these channels - an inherent navigation system if you will.

Understanding, logic, intelligence all vital to effective navigation and based on current, present tense realities. Going against the grain may seem haphazard to some and may result in unpleasant experiences, but looking forward at desired goal, it may be worth the growing pangs and discomfort.

I'm not Bahai.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I voted unsure. I sense that there is purpose and intelligence to life and it's becoming. I don't think it's a fluke. I'd love to evolve into the ultimate reality. My mind says yes, my experiences wonder how that would be. I'm thinking we only can sense a very little slice of reality. I don't see anything benevolent, so I expect the afterlife would be as wild as this life is.

danieldemol

Premium Member
First of all I would like to point out that there is a spectrum from yes to unsure to no, and being somewhere between yes and unsure, I was undecided about how best to answer your poll.

I was indoctrinated to believe in life after death, but see no logical reason to believe in life after death. In spite of having no logical reason to believe my belief has persisted oddly.

So I would say yes, but without any concrete logic to back up my belief it is not a yes with 100% certainty.

In my opinion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's something I've struggled with over the years. I understand consciousness, but not remembering past lives. I've been under the impression that we start over as brand new creations, perhaps while retaining genetic and learned behavior instinctually.
I do not believe that we had any past lives since I believe that each individual soul comes int being at the moment of conception.

According to my religious beliefs, we do not start over but rather we continue in our spiritual journey which began when we were born. Thus, the next live (afterlife) is simply a continuation of this earthly life.

I believe that when our body dies our soul continues to the next world and takes on a new form comprised of spiritual elements that exist in the spiritual world. We cannot understand what that world will be like since it is so different from this world.

“The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 157

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

RestlessSoul

“In my Father’s house there are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.”

The Bible might be full of allegory, metaphor and myth, but I’m inclined to believe in the Christ of the Gospels. Was he the Son of God? Maybe. If there is a God, aren’t we all his children? Still, though. “I am the way, the truth and the life”. That’s not this life he’s talking about, here in Caesar’s world. That’s the life of the world to come.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I'm not Bahai.

Muslim then. Bahais utilize the Quran also. I assumed-there seems to be quite a few Bahais here. Anyway, heaven and hell are both present. I think you agree. Now, before, and after. I'm pretty sure it has always been this way. I'm not sure the difference aside from quality of life experiences and very likely attitude and the way we life and handle situations. The processes of development and growth, as if being refined as we live and progress.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That's something I've struggled with over the years. I understand consciousness, but not remembering past lives. I've been under the impression that we start over as brand new creations, perhaps while retaining genetic and learned behavior instictually.
I wish I could understand why you might be under such an impression. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it, that I can see. When I think about what you say, since after your death any new life would begin with DNA (genetic information) totally other than your own, and I can find no vehicle for the transfer of "learned behaviour" from your dead body to a net new life.

One of the greatest mysteries in my life -- humans believe the most amazing, often bizarre things, mostly (really mostly) without having the slightest reasons for their beliefs. 'Tis a wonderment.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I do not believe that we had any past lives since I believe that each individual soul comes int being at the moment of conception.

According to my religious beliefs, we do not start over but rather we continue in our spiritual journey which began when we were born. Thus, the next live (afterlife) is simply a continuation of this earthly life.

I believe that when our body dies our soul continues to the next world and takes on a new form comprised of spiritual elements that exist in the spiritual world. We cannot understand what that world will be like since it is so different from this world.

“The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 157

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

I agree with much of Bahaluahs teachings. New creations via birth as the continuation, and not an actual ongoing conscious mental ID, composed of memories, but rather a more developed us as new creations instinct inherent from past life lessons and experiences.