• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Women See More Than Men?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Men = 1+1=2
Women = 1 + 1 + 4 + 6 - 10 x 2 divided by 4 +1 = 2
1. Women probably are more emotional than men, but this certainly isn't always a favorable trait, as their emotions often overrule their intellect.

2. Another possilbibity is that women are in general more "illogical" than men, and it takes a lot of culling of misinformation to get to the real facts.

3. I don't necessarily agree with this, I think men many times are less judgemental than women.

4. I definitely don't agree with this. I've worked for many women and men in my career, and the men in general have been more tolerant of mistakes.

5. Multitasking is learned, I don't think either sex has an advantage here.

6. Certainly not proven in the realm of history, or in business.
spoken like true men. :rolleyes:
I think I and my scientific capabilities have been insulted here. :sarcastic
:slap:

wa:do

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
painted wolf said:
spoken like true men.
I think I and my scientific capabilities have been insulted here. :sarcastic

Hmm. Perhaps you misunderstand me. Forgive me, but I am only a male, so you have to go easy on me. :D

My formula intended to show that men are somewhat simplistic or cut and dried. Women (at least the ones I know) have a far more creative approach that usually takes far more into consideration., hence the more comlex formula. :cool:

Please accept my apologies for any imagined and unintended insult. :bow:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
you obviously have never studied Rube Goldberg. :D

The insult was not from your comment, though I can see how it would seem that way. I was just commenting on how modern men seem to think that we women don't think A-B linearly but though some Rube Goldberg process.

The insinuation from others that my thoughts aren't inherantly logical, over run with emotion and not as efficent as a man's is rather disturbing in this day and age.
perhaps I'm being too judgemental and intolerant as my female persuasion seems to doom me to. ;)

This is the inherent problem with gender based discussions. Men obviously don't know what women are thinking and vice verca.... however we arn't seperate species.
We both think in the same manner with the same 'stuff'. Hormones are powerful things, but they don't make us that different. Remember that you males have estrogen in your system just as much as we females have testosterone.

again I'm sorry if you took my smile infested post more seriously than I had intended. Just remember we arn't that different. I'm no more creative, intelligent, emotional, illogical or simple than any one elce because I'm a woman. And niether are you men. :cool:

Culture is the overriding factor, males are raised to behave differently than females. Boy's get toy guns and are told not to cry, Girls get dolls and are discouraged from being 'agressive'. (I personally prefered guns to dolls.) :p

KPereira

painted wolf said:
you obviously have never studied Rube Goldberg. :D

The insult was not from your comment, though I can see how it would seem that way. I was just commenting on how modern men seem to think that we women don't think A-B linearly but though some Rube Goldberg process.

The insinuation from others that my thoughts aren't inherantly logical, over run with emotion and not as efficent as a man's is rather disturbing in this day and age.
perhaps I'm being too judgemental and intolerant as my female persuasion seems to doom me to. ;)

This is the inherent problem with gender based discussions. Men obviously don't know what women are thinking and vice verca.... however we arn't seperate species.
We both think in the same manner with the same 'stuff'. Hormones are powerful things, but they don't make us that different. Remember that you males have estrogen in your system just as much as we females have testosterone.

again I'm sorry if you took my smile infested post more seriously than I had intended. Just remember we arn't that different. I'm no more creative, intelligent, emotional, illogical or simple than any one elce because I'm a woman. And niether are you men. :cool:

Culture is the overriding factor, males are raised to behave differently than females. Boy's get toy guns and are told not to cry, Girls get dolls and are discouraged from being 'agressive'. (I personally prefered guns to dolls.) :p

I agree with most of this. Culture does make a difference and I do not believe that men are more intelligent, illogical, and simple than women or vice versa. However, the emotional issue: culture does make a difference and I think most here are stating Western culture. In Western culture, women watch chick-flicks and go shopping and cry for no reason. Not to say that ALL women do that...but it is a generalization.

Those involved who, in a sense, 'practice' Western culture are like that. A man watches a chick-flick and either doesn't get it, doesn't care, and/or is not emotionally moved. Of course, this does not apply to ALL men, but as stated, those 'practicing' the Western culture. More and more men are having a female mindset and more and more women are having a male mindset. Lots more women are getting into sports while lots more men are getting into 'fashion'. Not to say that all males in the fashion industry act necessarily feminine...but it would certainly seem a good portion of them do.

But it is all how you look at things, ironically. If you grow up in a different culture, you may not see the Western culture for what it is worth. It is hard to make a sweeping generalization that covers everybody. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

As painted wolf put it, males are raised differently than females. Females are encouraged to play with Barbie dolls and males are encouraged to take up hockey or football or some other sport. Males are raised to be more aggressive and females to be more passive. I think that because of that, men and women do see differently. A male might look at all those fashion accessories a woman has and ask 'Why do you have all those? How can you possibly need that many shoes!?' Well...it makes sense to a woman. They need one pair to go here or for this occasion...or this pair is out of style...or whatever reason they want. Most guys with a more aggressive mindset see this as a waste and think that you only need maybe two...three pairs of shoes at the very most. Some are even more aggressive and believe that you only need one pair of shoes (and I know people like that too).

But, like I said, your opinion varies from where you live, what culture you were brought up in, how you were raised, etc. My personal opinion is because women are more passive and men more aggressive, they see slightly different, which causes all of these Hollywood clichés. Your opinion may be different according to all those factors.

A

A. Leaf

EnhancedSpirit said:
I believe that women have an easier time "seeing" more because we are emotional. It's more commonly known as intuition. I have a very strong intuition, and my boyfriend recently found out just how accurate it can be. I can see that he is lying to me, and he did the typical deny deny deny. He said I was crazy, I had no 'proof' and how could he argue with my 'feelings', etc., well, I dropped it. Well a few weeks passed and his lies ended up biting him in the ***.

There was no proof, no tell-tell signs, there was just a feeling in the pit of my stomache that made me want to vomit. We have worked through it. It was not something he needed to lie about, and I was more upset that he was making me question my intuition. My body was telling me what was true, and he was trying to convince me that my body was lying to me.

The problem with intuition is that is based on 'feelings' and not actual proof. And our emotions can be influenced by past experience. I have to always check and see if my feelings are based on what is truth, or based on fear of past experiences.

Anyway, I say, yes, typically women can see more than men. But there are exceptions to the rules.

I do agree but not totally. The reason being is, men and women have definitely become more equal. Now we have prize money entering sport to make things equal. The pressure on a man to be better than the next man to provide, is and was, just as bad as the next woman who's husband was a high flier to look better and sexier than her husbands competition's wife. Thats in high business. we move across the board does the fittest looking lad get the fittest looking girl? the most intelligent lad get the most Intelligent girl? or do we bring passion and love and understanding into the equation where we can have an odd looking couple who love each other, who are not bothered about what other people think, totally agree as i have done on many of your past posts Enhanced Spirit, if bad experiences bring a couple together, then magic can come from the result of that, but really,we sit on a planet surrounded by stars, a piece of pure genius, and we banter about stupid things. quite mad don't you think.
But at the end of the day a women has to protect the child so i would imagine is naturally more observent

Flappycat

I think men just tend to be more systematic. This can be taken to a fault, I guess, because we can end up applying this where it isn't appropriate. It's not that men have less social aptitude, but we tend to prefer relating through institutions and need a sense of an objective. Without some kind of binding objective, we're just going to feel kind of depressed and unmotivated. In communication, I think men will typically feel happier to have things stated frankly and explicitly, and we might have trouble picking out some ideosyncrasies unless we've been explicitly taught how to detect them.

Mostly, though, we're all dumb machines that can't count higher than two. That's why we've only got two sexes. The same goes for the rest of you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A man watches a chick-flick and either doesn't get it, doesn't care, and/or is not emotionally moved.
You forgot to add "is bored to death and falls asleep." :biggrin: Some chick-flicks do have interesting parts in them. Titanic became interesting when the boat finally hit the iceberg. (Would have been hilarious to see a special directors cut where the boat hits Chuck Norris.) Pearl Harbor became watchable after the bombs started falling.

But at the end of the day a women has to protect the child so i would imagine is naturally more observent
Why do men not need to protect the children?