• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do what?!

Dr. Nosophoros

The way I see it, you have to consider Laveys use of "Satan" in the first place to promote his philosophies, Lavey didn't actually believe in a "satan" he used that imagery because the greater of society placed so much importance on it, "Satan" was a convenient tool. I would say to an extent the reason he used Hebrew is because many are not familiar with it, strange symbols, languages, and writings have always had a certain power to those that place importance on them, (not to speak of his use of Enochian in his rituals which was supposedly taught by angels that he did not believe in either) that is learned and those things are only as powerful as the power we give to them. A good example is that many "magical" alphabets or writings are in an unfamiliar language, the reason for this is that some believe if you are too familiar with a language or alphabet you lose some power of intent or purpose because you are so familiar with it, careful thought to each stroke of the pen or each fluctuation of the voice in strange languages for the purpose of "magic" seem to make it more powerful to some, I see this as just another way to visualize intent and something that should be gotten over because the self is where what is termed "magic" actually emanates from, the systems, symbols, languages etc. are secondary.

If you are interested in the basics, I think a good insight to Laveys thinking is "The Devil's Notebook", I bought it because I liked it and found it one of the funniest yet painfully truthful books printed in years, but don't spend hard earned money on something you would never read, go to a good book store, grab an espresso and read it for free in a comfortable chair, if you like it buy it, if not, put it back on the shelf you are not out anything but time.

DianeVera

jewscout said:
hmmmm i wonder why levay felt it necessary to use hebrew...why not greek or latin...
"Leviathan" happens to be a Hebrew word, not a Greek or Latin word. Anyhow, do you feel that LaVey should NOT have used Hebrew? If so, why? And do you feel that people in general should avoid the use of Hebrew except when absolutely "necessary"? If so, why?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
DianeVera said:
"Leviathan" happens to be a Hebrew word, not a Greek or Latin word. Anyhow, do you feel that LaVey should NOT have used Hebrew? If so, why? And do you feel that people in general should avoid the use of Hebrew except when absolutely "necessary"? If so, why?
my concern...and this is just me probably being paranoid...is that some crazies see that and think that there's some connection between satanism and judaism or some other insane conspiracy to give more bad PR to the Jew...not that this was LaVey or anyone else's intintion but hopefully you'll see where i'm coming from w/ this...

DianeVera

jewscout said:
my concern...and this is just me probably being paranoid...is that some crazies see that and think that there's some connection between satanism and judaism or some other insane conspiracy to give more bad PR to the Jew...not that this was LaVey or anyone else's intintion but hopefully you'll see where i'm coming from w/ this...
Lots and lots of occultists use ideas -- and Hebrew terminology -- from the Kabbalah. LaVey in turn cobbled together various ideas from various occultist sources.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
It was the Jews who introduced us to Satan. Jewscout, your guys started this whole thing, remember? Pretty much every religion traces their roots back to you guys. Just because this sheep is black to your eyes, they are still all part of the flock.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
EnhancedSpirit said:
It was the Jews who introduced us to Satan. Jewscout, your guys started this whole thing, remember? Pretty much every religion traces their roots back to you guys. Just because this sheep is black to your eyes, they are still all part of the flock.
but The satan works for G-d...he's no enemy of HaShem

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do know that both the pentagram and Baphomet pre-date both Christianity and Satanism. What I wonder is why LaVey chose those two symbols, seeing how other religions, such as Wicca, used them already.

Fluffy

A fool
The pentagram represents the spirit, the top point, as resting upon the other elements, the other four points. By reversing this, LaVey is demonstrating the importance he places on the self above other things.

Era

Do we, EnhancedSpirit , have the same father? You should think about the consequences of what you`ve just said . Judaism and christianity have the same roots , one god . Do you want to add this to satanism ? Satanism , no matter wich kind does not recoqnise God as the Father of all Creation and some satanist don`t even believe in God . So , from a satanic point of wiew , we are not connected to God .

Prima

EnhancedSpirit, JS was not offended, I don't think. I was as curious to know this as he was. Usually, when a new religion comes along, it does not connect itself to older religions. It's just interesting that LaVey did this. The Protestants, for example, tried their utmost to NOT be like Catholicism! I think it's a refreshing change. Thanks for the info, all of you!

Satanists use the Pentagram? Is it the inverted Pentagram or the normal Pentragram because I am a fully-fledged believer of Wicca and I follow the sign of the Pentragram as well.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
***___***
a gentle reminder that this is a discussion of why the church of satan has hebrew at the five corners of the pentegram, and is in the satanism IR forum.

Nehustan

Satan/Shaitan means 'adversary' I believe. As to him working for God....that's news to me...if he isn't the adversary of God...he mostly is the adversary of man. Baphomet is a very interesting concept. It comes to us via the accusations against the Templar who were accused of worshipping an idol called Baphomet and/or one called 'Ya Allah' (Source: Malcom Barber, 1993, The Trial of the Templars , Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.) and in fact in the medieval period, prior and during the crusades (and really till present) there has been an association with Islam and idolatry, i.e. Muslims worshipping an idol called Mahmut (Source: Edward Blanks and Michael Frassetto (Eds.), 1999, Western Views of Islam in Medieval and Early Modern Europe : Perception of Other, St. Martin's Press, New York, NY, USA) with people not suprisingly drawing the conclusion that Baphomet and Mahmut where one in the same, with Islam being the religion of the Devil. This association is still often made and it can be argued that Rusdie capitalised on this perception within the Occident to sell his book which draws on a the story of false revelation concerning the 'daughters of Allah' which were pagan idols at the Kabba in Mecca.

In regard to a monopoly on the 'Hebrew' alphabet these pages from wiki may be of interest when one considers cultural, and thus it could be argued linguistic, diffusion, Hebrew Alphabet and Syriac/Chaldean Alphabet