• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we live in a fine tuned universe

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
As anyone who thinks about it can see, the universe is fine tuned for erotic dancing girls.
Love how the beauty of a golden spiral Fibonacci sequence is interwoven into everywhere.

We find each other attractive due to mathematical symmetry; where the curve of a woman is a mathematical precision. :innocent:

Repox

Truth Seeker
The universe is fine tuned to imprison Satan for the remainder of his existence. When the universe is gone Satan will be gone. Humans are collateral damage.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The universe is fine tuned to imprison Satan for the remainder of his existence. When the universe is gone Satan will be gone. Humans are collateral damage.

Then what you are saying is humans should align with Satan, if our existences are linked.

Repox

Truth Seeker
Then what you are saying is humans should align with Satan, if our existences are linked.
No, it is just that - collateral damage. Humans evolved from the fall of paradise, which was 65 million years ago during the dinosaur era. I don't think
God created everything for us. We occupy the same universe with Satan, but that doesn't mean we have to be buddies.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Which is why 99.9999999%+ of the universe is utterly uninhabitable for carbon-based life, right?

The more we learn about the universe, the more special we realize humanity and Earth are, I agree. The more we appreciate the excruciatingly fine engineering that allows our existence. I don't see how this is inconsistent with God though

Curious? We exist in a portion of the universe that isn't utterly hostile to life. The Universe is a probability generator. All the processes and such that took place here on Earth have taken place everywhere else too, and probably failed the over-whelming majority of the time. But due to the sheer size of the universe you're bound to have a few areas where something worked.

That was certainly the Victorian age model, that a few 'immutable' classical laws. plus lots of time and space for them to bump around in, would be simply bound to produce some jolly interesting results eventually!

We know now that this is not true, everything from the first seconds, the expansion of the fabric of space time, to the formation of great fusion reactors in stars, producing just the right elements necessary for life, then dispersing them, were predetermined according to very specific instructions. Whether or not you believe those instructions were somehow created accidentally, they are necessary for us to be having this discussion.

Alter the universal constants infinitesimally, and no, you don't just get a slightly different universe where something interesting is also bound to happen eventually, you get an infinite number of eternally dark, cold, dimensionless, lifeless blobs.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
No, it is just that - collateral damage. Humans evolved from the fall of paradise, which was 65 million years ago during the dinosaur era. I don't think
God created everything for us. We occupy the same universe with Satan, but that doesn't mean we have to be buddies.

I don't know, it really sounds like you are just making stuff up. Have any proof?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The more we learn about the universe, the more special we realize humanity and Earth are, I agree. The more we appreciate the excruciatingly fine engineering that allows our existence. I don't see how this is inconsistent with God though
But we're not special. We're made out of the most commonly available elements in the universe. Stuff that exists everywhere. I do not doubt for a moment that, orbiting some other star, a conversation similar to the one we're having is taking place right now. Someone arguing that we're special because we exist, the other arguing that due to sheer size of the universe this is bound to happen. The parameters that brought life about on Earth will happen elsewhere. There is nothing special about ourselves, our planet, our atmosphere, so on.

That was certainly the Victorian age model, that a few 'immutable' classical laws. plus lots of time and space for them to bump around in, would be simply bound to produce some jolly interesting results eventually!

We know now that this is not true, everything from the first seconds, the expansion of the fabric of space time, to the formation of great fusion reactors in stars, producing just the right elements necessary for life, then dispersing them, were predetermined according to very specific instructions. Whether or not you believe those instructions were somehow created accidentally, they are necessary for us to be having this discussion.

Alter the universal constants infinitesimally, and no, you don't just get a slightly different universe where something interesting is also bound to happen eventually, you get an infinite number of eternally dark, cold, dimensionless, lifeless blobs.
You get an infinite number of everything. That's how infinity works. An infinite number of dark, lifeless universes and an infinite number of vibrant, life-bearing ones. Because infinity is, well, infinity.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Humans have been around for thousands not millions in my view

Why do you accept the findings of physics and chemistry when it suits you (necessary for any argument for fine tuning), then reject it whenever it disagrees with your preconceptions (necessary for young earth creationism)?

Again, mind-blowing contradictions.

Repox

Truth Seeker
No problem. But perhaps you should show a bit more respect to religion and stop using it as an excuse to make up whatever nonsense you like.
I don't make up nonsense. I am not required to show respect for ideas I reject. I know about God and heaven, I don't need lectures from those who disagree.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your post is inconsistent with even a rudimentary knowledge of statistics.

The chances of all the laws, constants and particulars of the universe being just as they are is infinitesimal. But the chances of any other configuration is equally infinitesimal.

The chances of a random throw of twelve dice coming up all ones or all sixes is exactly the same as a roll coming out in any configuration. All configurations have an equal chance of appearing.

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I don't make up nonsense. I am not required to show respect for ideas I reject. I know about God and heaven, I don't need lectures from those who disagree.

Let's see: make up stuff, ignore any need for evidence, and don't listen to people who disagree. . . Sounds super smart.

QuestioningMind

i see. Astro physicist Luke Barnes is speeking tonight at university of Texas Dallas on the subject. Seems to me the universe is fine tuned in many ways : glory is baked in. Psalm 65:8 would suggest there is awe in the sunrise and sunset that washes over those who see the handiwork of god.

Some have also pointed out that the earth is ideal for observing and discovery. Makes sense if the universe is on display for the glory of god

No, the universe was not fine tuned to accommodate human beings. Human beings evolved to flourish in the universe we exist in. That's like the water in a puddle after a storm saying "Gosh, this impression in the ground fits me PERFECTLY. Clearly it was designed by some higher intelligence specifically for that purpose!"