• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Santa, Christmas Trees etc. Bother You?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I recall when I was a Christian and even as a kid, I never really liked or understood the whole Santa thing. I found it a bit odd and thought it took away from the religious meaning of the holiday by way of overshadowing it. Things like Christmas trees also bothered me and I recall mentioning that to one of our Jewish users on here when I was a Christian.

Are there any Christians here who are also bothered by this? Do you think it's too childish or otherwise takes from the message/meaning?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I recall when I was a Christian and even as a kid, I never really liked or understood the whole Santa thing. I found it a bit odd and thought it took away from the religious meaning of the holiday by way of overshadowing it. Things like Christmas trees also bothered me and I recall mentioning that to one of our Jewish users on here when I was a Christian.

Are there any Christians here who are also bothered by this? Do you think it's too childish or otherwise takes from the message/meaning?

what religious message?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I was a Jewish kid, it did not bother me in the least. We had "Hanukkah gelt" and various games we played. From my parents perspective, it was just what other people did. We did our own thing.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
To me Christmas is two separate things:

1) A celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ
2) A winter celebration/feast

They just so happen to coincide, regarding time and date - and share the same name!

But to me they are separate

One is Pagan in origin, the other Christian

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Whatever the birth of Jesus represents for various kinds of Christians.

the birth of a baby is a joyous occasion for any reason. i don't think that would be any less/more important of a message about love and the importance of being together in the best/worse of times.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I wasn't really raised Christian so despite the supposed Christian imagery, I have always found Christmas to be a more Capitalistic holiday of consumerism, then of good tidings and Cheer.

These days, being Pagan I have no issue with the Christian symbolism around the holiday, but I would like my Pagan symbols back please. I'll take my Yule tree, candles, and Krampus and be in the corner.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I got bothered when I identified as Pagan, and Christians around me used Christmas trees and other Pagan symbolism, and then poo pooed the traditions they came out of. I still am bothered by it a bit, really. I don't mind the borrowing of traditions, I just don't like the general disrespect.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Father Christmas I have no problem with. He is a traditional figure, going back centuries. It's true he is not related to the Christian message of Christmas, but that's fine. It's a time of celebration and revelry for all.

I confess to be annoyed by the sugary, sentimental persona of modern Santa Claus, however.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Father Christmas I have no problem with. He is a traditional figure, going back centuries. It's true he is not related to the Christian message of Christmas, but that's fine. It's a time of celebration and revelry for all.

I confess to be annoyed by the sugary, sentimental persona of modern Santa Claus, however.

What is the difference between the two figures? I am curious.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

It hasn't bothered me, however Christmas has lost the meaning that was given to it by Charles Dickens. That's a shame. He apparently rebooted Christmas as a holiday for reminding people to be generous to the poor. Since then its slidden into a time to give presents to friends and family, and people actually think that is its original meaning. Often when people think the meaning of Christmas has been lost they are referring to either the birth of Jesus or to the time for family and friends. The meaning has been lost, replaced, and then that meaning also lost. In my family its been a time to give gifts, to get together and to remember the birth of Jesus. I used to think Charles dicken's story was just a funny story about the redemption of a stingy old man. I didn't know it had revamped and reinvigorated the meaning of this festival.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Not a fan of Christmas, but my wife loves it. Less a religious holiday and more a cultural thing.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread isn't meant to be about Christmas itself, just the symbols around it such as Santa, Rudolf, trees etc.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

As a christian child i thought Christmas to be an exciting way to celebrate JCs birth. Not until i reached thinking age and had left the church did i look up the origins of Christmas.

But it never bothers me, i still see it as good for kids, we will miss the Christmas markets this year, closed because of the pandemic.

Over the years we have celebrated various mid winter festivals, including Christmas, giving the kids a varied knowledge is important. They have now decided... no more, we will settle on just one... that one is Saturnalia.

I think their reasoning quite mercenary, of all the celebrations, they get more presents during Saturnalia.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I prefer nativity scenes to Christmas trees

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Most of it never bothered me as a Christian. It's cute and harmless (and has origins in stories of an actual Christian saint). The only thing that has ever bothered me was singing happy birthday to Jesus, which I found ridiculously over-the-top cheesy.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of it never bothered me as a Christian. It's cute and harmless (and has origins in stories of an actual Christian saint). The only thing that has ever bothered me was singing happy birthday to Jesus, which I found ridiculously over-the-top cheesy.
Lol this is a thing where you are?

exchemist

Veteran Member
What is the difference between the two figures? I am curious.

Santa Claus is St Nicholas, the bishop from Asia Minor, who is part of the Dutch tradition, imported from there to the US (I think). In the Netherlands his arrival is re-enacted every year. He arrives by boat at Scheveningen, accompanied by his assistants, the Swarte Piets (Black Peters - boys blacked up and in c.16th dress), is welcomed ashore by the monarch (yes, really!) and gives out little spicy cakes to the children.

Father Christmas in the UK was originally a mythical figure associated with the festivities of Christmas but not especially with children or presents until the Victorian era.

At some point, the two got combined and then a very American dose of sentimentality was added for the children, with all this stuff about reindeer, sledges in the sky, the North Pole and all that carry-on.

At least, that is my understanding. Others may have better information.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Lol this is a thing where you are?

It never happened to me in childhood. My parents did it a few years ago, thankfully only the one time, for the grandkids. All the adults were rolling their eyes at how ridiculously over-the-top it was.

Also, I will say that the other thing that concerned me about the trappings of Christmas when I was a Christian was the consumerism that it tends to endorse. I still wish that Christmas was less about buying expensive gifts and more about just spending time with people we love, or acts of service to help the poor.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

For many it has taken away the reason for the season, so that is not a positive.

On the other hand it is also a time of unity, so many positive benefits there.

Regards Tony