1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Do people have to stop trusting other scriptures, to trust the Quran?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Jim, Aug 30, 2018.

1. England my lionheart

England my lionheart Rockerjahili Rebel
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,976
    Religion:
    Atheist
    People can believe what they like,what i find wrong is that people teach it as fact to children who for the most part have no choice in the matter.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Religion:
    personal development and community service, with love for nature
    @Unveiled Artist I haven’t found any way to explain my new insight, that seems clear enough to me, but I don’t want to spend any more time trying. I’ll just give you the best explanation that I could think of for now. The contradiction I see is in you saying that Buddhism is one religion in spite of the divergence of views it embraces, but it’s wrong to see Buddhist and Abrahamic religions as one religion because of the divergences in their views. Considering how you customize your definition of “one religion” in a way that allows you to ignore or deny that contradiction, brought me to a new insight about national, race and religious prejudices. I’ve always thought of them as being separate and independent, but now I see some possible connections between them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. paarsurrey

paarsurrey Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,246
    It is a positive approach.
    Regards

• Like Like x 2
  4. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +2,246
    "When the above was written, it had not occurred."

I don't get it exactly. Please elaborate.
    Regards

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +2,246
    "However, that's a different matter than if the Quran and other books really agree."

There are a lot of common teachings in the religions. It is one aspect that we Ahmadiyya peaceful Muslims believe that all revealed religions were revealed by One-God on the founders of such religions. It is general terms essential to believe in the truth of all revealed religions* and their such teachings and their founders. It is for this that we believe in Buddha, Krishna, Moses,Zoroaster, Jesus, Socrates.*

Regards
    [2:6]
    It is they who follow the guidance of their Lord and it is they who shall prosper.
    The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GoodbyeDave

GoodbyeDave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    But what if they say incompatible things? And neither Buddha nor Socrates claimed to have received a revelation.

One test of compatability is surely whether you can worship together. I could not worship in a mosque because I cannot declare that Muhammad was a prophet, nor could I worship in a church since I cannot declare that Jesus was divine. For that matter, surely you cannot recite the Christian creed? On the other hand, I could worship in a Hindu temple or a Shinto shrine, which you could not.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,051
    Humans have this idea that if we do not agree, then kill them.

8. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,154
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Not all humans, thank goodness.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. GoodbyeDave

GoodbyeDave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    Exactly. The only religions that have a consistent record of persecution, rather than occasional outbreaks of anger, are the three "Abrahamic" ones.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    We can and, if we see the Qur'an as genuine scripture, we should.

But in so doing, there is a very real risk of no longer having much of an use for those scriptures.

I don't think that is a problem. If anything, that should be encouraged.

• Like Like x 1
  11. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +2,246
    "One test of compatability is surely whether you can worship together. I could not worship in a mosque because I cannot declare that Muhammad was a prophet,"

Principally one can, if there are no idols with one. Muhammad himself allowed a delegation of Christians to pray in his mosque in Medina.

I have several time visited temples of Buddhism people, Hinduism people, Sikhism people and Christianity people and attended their services though I did not join their worship and remained seated, yet nobody objected rather they were happy.

Regards

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +2,246
    Some people are such extremists, most are tolerant , respectful and hospitable.

Regards

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Buddha Dharma

Buddha Dharma Dharma Practitioner

Ratings:
    +1,488
    Religion:
    Bhedabheda Vedanta
    Yes, I understand and appreciate the concept of truth in other worldviews. That doesn't mean they 100% agree though.

From one Dharmic perspective, it may not be useful for them to exactly agree- because all teaching addresses the needs of where people are.

Some people need virtue practice at the forefront, while others need the devotional approach. I daresay even atheism factors into all of this somewhere.

14. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Religion:
    personal development and community service, with love for nature
    I’ve been thinking the same thing. I even wrote a post about it, but I’ve been hesitating to post it. Maybe now I will.

15. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +2,246
    "Yes, I understand and appreciate the concept of truth in other worldviews. That doesn't mean they 100% agree though."Unquote

Sure enough. They have the jewel/(light*) of Revelation but buried in the debris of time and due to human interference.
    It forms a common ground for affinity.

Regards
    *[5:45]
    Surely, We sent down the Torah wherein was guidance and light. By it did the Prophets, who were obedient to Us, judge for the Jews, as did the godly people and those learned in the Law; for they were required to preserve the Book of Allah, and becausethey were guardians over it. Therefore fear not men but fear Me; and barter not My Signs for a paltry price. And whoso judges not by that which Allah has sent down, these it is who are the disbelievers.
    The Holy Quran - Chapter: 5: Al-Ma'idah

16. paarsurrey

Ratings:
    +2,246
    Buddha Dharma said:
    I daresay even atheism factors into all of this somewhere.
    Atheism don't claim to have Revelation, they have no part in it. The common ground with them is reason but it is not guided by Revelation. In secular matter, they share a common ground with the Revealed Religions, that role should not be denied to them. Of course they are not to be held apart.

Regards

17. Marcion

Marcion Self-realisation and Service to the Universe

Ratings:
    +733
    Religion:
    Manava Dharma (>>>non-religious<<<)/Orthodox Right-Hand Tantra-Yoga/Neo-Humanism
    I wonder though, a lot of sectarian often horrific violence against non-scheduled castes and other religious minorities is found in India. Not quite as bad as the present situation in parts of the Middle East but still quite endemic.