• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do god really exist?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, I see it as all of the different gods being the one deity. They just decided to call it by different names and have culture specific stuff added to it. Or in other words, different interpretations of it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Bartholomæus;3480466 said:
Nothing material, living or not comes from nothing.

really?
Absolutely nothing?
Interesting.
So where did your god come from?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Bartholomæus;3480471 said:
I agree the Universe dosen't come from nothing. But that still leaves the question: How did it all start. Thats what i would like Zanaku to explain instead of circeling around the fact that nothing material comes to be by itself.

How did the big bang start?

Shrug who knows?

Maybe one day we will.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Bartholomæus;3480261 said:
I think there is evidence. There is no scientific evidence off God existing, neither is there sientific evidence to prove God does NOT exist.
Do you take this same approach with Fairies? Bigfoot? Unicorns? Alein life forms?

To believe something material came from nothing MUST take an tremendous belief.
Wait, who makes the claim that something came from nothing?

Take an old fashioned meat grinder. I consist of rougly 120 parts when taken apart. Now put all the parts in a bucket of water and start shaking the bucket until the meatgrinder is correctly assembled.
The Watchmaker argument is only convincing to those who already believe or those who want to believe.

You can actually make an teoretical number fo the chance of success but in reality it willl NEVE EVER happen. And yet an meatgrinder is such a simple thing compared to an living cell which came to be by itself in some organic soup (if you believe in evolution).
Wait, didn't you already claim it came from "nothing"?
Please be so kind as to make up your mind.

If the meatgrinder is correctly assembled its because some person did it. And many see the perfectness of all that sorround us as an evidence of a creator (God)
Counting the hits and ignoring the misses does not help your "argument" and only makes you appear ignorant and or desperate.

Do you take this same approach with Fairies? Bigfoot? Unicorns? Alein life forms?
Fairies? I don't know. Bigfoot? Maybe. Unicorns? Doubtful. Alien lifeforms? Maybe. Sience has never proved or disproved any of them.

Wait, didn't you already claim it came from "nothing"?
Please be so kind as to make up your mind.
You did read the stuff in ( ), right? If not i can type it for you again: (IF YOU BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION)

Counting the hits and ignoring the misses does not help your "argument" and only makes you appear ignorant and or desperate.
I might be that I'm a bit ignorant. I defenetely don't claim to be clever or anything. Im not deperate tho. I just find evolution theory so lacking. I guess if someone could provide some real answers to a few questions I might change my views.

1) The stuff that was big bang, where did it come from?
2) If one digs for fossils in the ground one finds LOADS of them. Why then is it so hard to find that 'missing link'? The earth should be full of them? (but all you see is some small pieces that is no real evidence and when that ain't enough some people makes forgeries instead (pilt down).

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste
Don't try to spoil this guys rational thinking by saying there's evidence you yourself can't clarify.
I'm an atheist because I noticed that there is absolutely 0% evidence of gods.
We know the wind exists because we can feel it. :cigar:

Ha ha , ......and we can feel god , that is why we are not atheists :)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
i have never seen god, have you? but yes i have seen them in the pictures, statues, temples.... i am really confused about how many gods do really exists actually. every religion has their own god.... among them who is the most powerful one? whom should we worship and pray...and if their is god somewhere why don't i see even one of them?

Only you can answer that question for yourself. Believe in whatever god you wish. Or don't. Up to you.

Don't go into complications, my friend
Many of our friends in this site will tell their personal opinion, and truly speaking you will not have a feeling of satisfaction while accepting any one of their opinion.
As Bartholomaeus said, perceive and know the secrets of nature, know its rules, know its procedures, encounter the feeling of doing good deeds, only then can you get your answer.
And remember, Atheists are the one, more closer to finding The Supreme as they question with reason and do not blindly follow anything.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Bartholomæus;3480146 said:
There are quite many things you cant see. that does not mean they do not exist. You can not see the wind, but you still know it exist because you can feel it, and see it move leaves and other stuff. Just so with God. You can't see God but you can see the evidence of Gods power and thereby conclude he exist.

But you can detect the wind, you can test for the wind. Please tell us what objective test we can perform to demonstrate the existence of God.

Esrold

Bartholomæus wrote: "And yes, I don't have an scientific education. But you still haven't commented as to how something comes from NOTHING. My argument that zero + zero equals zero still stands. You can never get anything from nothing."
Better sit down Bart old pal for, indeed, not only has it been proved that "something comes from NOTHING" (amazing as that may seem) but there's a video of it!
You may never have studied quantum physics but without it we wouldn't have personal computers, lasers (blue ray, DVDs, CDs, etc.), and hundreds of other things that are part of our daily life. One thing quantum physics reveales is (quantum) "vacuum fluctuations" which are subatomic particles that pop into and out of existence all the time—something from nothing! You can look it up online, or better yet watch the video of it. Since I haven't posted enough to post a link, here's a quote you can use to find the video... "The video of an experiment showing vacuum fluctuations (in the red ring) amplified by spontaneous parametric down-conversion." Put that in the Google search engine and click on the choice "videos."

desideraht

Hellspawn
I think that depends on how you define God.

I don't believe in a Man in the sky, sitting in a golden chair with a long white robe and beard. I don't believe in a Godhead that exists as a benevolent lover and Creator of all.

However, I do believe in the "forces of nature", I just don't believe it cares one way or the other. Nature is cruel, and chaotic. I believe in the Cosmos, which also does not, as I see it, have a mind or heart. I do not see the universe as a "Creator"; I see us as part of it. But I do not believe in some comforting form of "Oneness", where Souls are preserved in some "Divine" manner. I believe Souls are created upon Birth, and annihilated upon Death.

One could say my view of the Cosmos is an unconscious God. But I don't see it as an entity. I see it for exactly what I observe it to be: existence itself. Even existence itself comes to question. I think of existence like Schrodinger's cat. It is quantum just like everything else in the universe. And no, I do not believe there is a quantum God either. I pretty firmly do not believe in a God, which is why I call myself an Atheist.

Jiggerj

I think there is evidence.

LOL You can't think there's evidence. There's either evidence or there isn't, regardless of what each individual thinks.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
LOL You can't think there's evidence. There's either evidence or there isn't, regardless of what each individual thinks.

That's exactly the case. You notice I asked him to produce a single test that will objectively demonstrate the existence of any god a while back and he never responded. For most theists, all they can do is assert there is evidence, they cannot actually demonstrate that there is evidence.

Jiggerj

There is no scientific evidence off God existing, neither is there scientific evidence to prove God does NOT exist.

Logic shows that evidence does not point to a god. Just as the religious look at the universe as proof of a god, we can look at a forest fire and conclude that it is NOT proof of an arsonist. The fire could have been started by lightning, or by kids playing with matches, but didn't intend on starting the fire. It could have accidentally been started by someone not completely putting out a camp fire. The fire itself does not prove that someone deliberately set it.

neither is there scientific evidence to prove God does NOT exist.
This has always been the weakest of religious arguments. There's no scientific evidence showing that unicorns don't exist, but we all know they don't exist.

I look at it this way:

A priest and a police investigator somehow end up at a murder scene. The priest points to the wedding ring on the dead woman's finger and declares that this is proof that the husband killed her.

The cop points to the broken backdoor window and the woman's empty purse and concludes that a burglar did it. And the priest says, 'But that doesn't prove that the husband DIDN'T kill her." Even if the husband did do it, the evidence does not prove it.

But, I do like your meatgrinder example.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
i have never seen god, have you? but yes i have seen them in the pictures, statues, temples.... i am really confused about how many gods do really exists actually. every religion has their own god.... among them who is the most powerful one? whom should we worship and pray...and if their is god somewhere why don't i see even one of them?

I've never seen God either, but i've seen demonstrations of his power and his caring nature for mankind.

What sort of evidence would you need to see to believe he exists?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Agnosticism is the only intellectually honest position to hold.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
When a person takes the witness stand and professes to seeing someone else commit murder... does this count as evidence that the other person has committed murder?