• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Deists worship G-d?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Do Deists worship G-d? If so, isn'y G-d essentially, gone, for Deists? Left the creation? So why worship, or even aknowledge G-d?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do Deists worship G-d? If so, isn'y G-d essentially, gone, for Deists? Left the creation? So why worship, or even aknowledge G-d?

If by worship you mean what most people do, then no. It is not a religion.
If you mean something more like "learn about and appreciate", then maybe yes. But not necessarily.
Tom

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Just like with adherents to every other belief, I'm sure there are many different kinds of Deists. Like Atheism and Theism, it is an incredibly general term.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If by worship you mean what most people do, then no. It is not a religion.
If you mean something more like "learn about and appreciate", then maybe yes. But not necessarily.
Tom
Makes sense.

Just like with adherents to every other belief, I'm sure there are many different kinds of Deists. Like Atheism and Theism, it is an incredibly general term.
There are some Deists on the forum. They can answer if they want. If a Deist doesn't like my question, whatever, I'm not interested in their opinion anyway, the OP is very basic and straightforward.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Makes sense.

There are some Deists on the forum. They can answer if they want. If a Deist doesn't like my question, whatever, I'm not interested in their opinion anyway, the OP is very basic and straightforward.
Why would a Deist not like your question? It seems to be a reasonable one.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

The absent watchmaker idea of God was invented in the 19th Century by Christians in response to the success deism was having, by making it appear that God isn't interested in the fruits of It's creation (us), much less care. It absolutely makes no sense for God to create the universe and walk away. In fact, an omnipotent God could create anything else, other than beings with free will, instantly. That alone highlights our importance.

As for deists worshiping God, I'm a deist who equates God with Truth (knowledge, justice, love & beauty), so worshiping It would be via it's pursuit.

Due to its popularity, it's been glomed onto by a myriad of those who want to exploit or undermine it. Granted, deism is open to a vast amount of speculation about God's nature and motivations etc; but anything other than God being laissez faire, is something other than deism.

Of course the glomers will deny that, and to expect otherwise is to expect there to be no more humans who practice demagoguery.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

It depends on the individual deist.

I firmly believe in and worship God. I thank Him for giving me life and allowing me to have a family, home, etc. Such are the prayers of many deists...prayers of gratitude instead of begging for stuff. I (we) believe that if you want something, you need to get off your butt and work for it. Now allow me to answer some commonly asked questions:

1. Has God left us? No one knows.
2. Does God intervene? No one knows.
3. Do miracles really happen? No one knows.
4. Does God even care about us? No one knows.
5. Is there an afterlife? No one knows.

The answer to every religious question about the "unknown" is going to be the same, regardless of religion. We (humans) simply do not know anything beyond the moment of death. We can't answer those questions with absolute truths or facts. There is not a shred of proof of anything beyond death. Yes that is a grim outlook, but at least it is a factual one.

Instead, live for the here and now. Lead a moral life that is full of compassion. Do that, and if there is an afterlife, surely morality is rewarded over immorality. Of course, that is also speculation...

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
We (humans) simply do not know anything beyond the moment of death. We can't answer those questions with absolute truths or facts. There is not a shred of proof of anything beyond death. Yes that is a grim outlook, but at least it is a factual one.

Instead, live for the here and now. Lead a moral life that is full of compassion. Do that, and if there is an afterlife, surely morality is rewarded over immorality. Of course, that is also speculation...

Must say i like the perspective and perhaps the final conclusion which i most certainly
agree with .... Perhaps those few of us who have died and returned can at least
offer the prospect of Hope ...

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Must say i like the perspective and perhaps the final conclusion which i most certainly
agree with .... Perhaps those few of us who have died and returned can at least
offer the prospect of Hope ...

I'm not saying there's nothing to NDEs, but I'm very skeptical since they could be simply the mind processing trauma. I don't know of any where the one experiencing it had an out of body experience at some other location which was later verified. In any case, as you suggest, when it comes to death, naked hope is all we really have.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
I'm not saying there's nothing to NDEs, but I'm very skeptical since they could be simply the mind processing trauma. I don't know of any where the one experiencing it had an out of body experience at some other location which was later verified. In any case, as you suggest, when it comes to death, naked hope is all we really have.

Grin, you make me smile ... I who had the NDE ( pronounced Brain Dead for 3 days ...)
was kinda sceptical too, until the prophesy i was given during the NDE proved true within
6 months .... that more than anything affirmed it as a real soul memory event ...

As a medic, before my experience i also considered these reports to be some firing of
amygdala .
Though if true i wonder how the memory can be stored in an apparently none functioning
brain ...

As this memory of the death experience is still more real and vivid, than what i did yesterday.
it remains for me a real event .... not that you or anyone else is required to accept that .

Shalom (Peace)

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Grin, you make me smile ... I who had the NDE ( pronounced Brain Dead for 3 days ...)
was kinda sceptical too, until the prophesy i was given during the NDE proved true within
6 months .... that more than anything affirmed it as a real soul memory event ...

As a medic, before my experience i also considered these reports to be some firing of
amygdala .
Though if true i wonder how the memory can be stored in an apparently none functioning
brain ...

As this memory of the death experience is still more real and vivid, than what i did yesterday.
it remains for me a real event .... not that you or anyone else is required to accept that .

Shalom (Peace)

Interesting, what was the prophesy? Or more accurately, what was prophesied, and what then happened?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It depends on the individual deist.

I firmly believe in and worship God. I thank Him for giving me life and allowing me to have a family, home, etc. Such are the prayers of many deists...prayers of gratitude instead of begging for stuff. I (we) believe that if you want something, you need to get off your butt and work for it. Now allow me to answer some commonly asked questions:

1. Has God left us? No one knows.
2. Does God intervene? No one knows.
3. Do miracles really happen? No one knows.
4. Does God even care about us? No one knows.
5. Is there an afterlife? No one knows.

The answer to every religious question about the "unknown" is going to be the same, regardless of religion. We (humans) simply do not know anything beyond the moment of death. We can't answer those questions with absolute truths or facts. There is not a shred of proof of anything beyond death. Yes that is a grim outlook, but at least it is a factual one.

Totally agree. Ya a true pagan at heart. (imo)

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Interesting, what was the prophesy? Or more accurately, what was prophesied, and what then happened?

Smile, ah ok, fair enough question ...
Up there (or in that place where the death experience occurred) I met my Grandfather whom
had passed on when i was still at school ... He Indicated he was looking forward to Grandmother
arriving Soon ... (she was at the time visiting My Parents in NZ, and my Uncle in Miami and generally
very active) so impending demise was in no way anticipated ...
3 months after my experience a cancer was diagnosed, she passed on 6 months after my trauma.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Up there (or in that place where the death experience occurred) I met my Grandfather whom
had passed on when i was still at school ... He Indicated he was looking forward to Grandmother
arriving Soon ... (she was at the time visiting My Parents in NZ, and my Uncle in Miami and generally
3 months after my experience a cancer was diagnosed, she passed on 6 months after my trauma.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

Treading lightly and I mean no offense...

That could have been a NDE and you possibly could have been in the afterlife. No one can prove it wasn't.

By the same token, it could have been a hallucination or a sense of heightened awareness that occurs when the brain is oxygen starved and in the process of dying. There is clinical death (brain dead but the body lives on, via life support or on its own) and then there is legally dead (the brain and heart cease to function, and decomposition begins). Obviously since you are still alive, you did not decompose, so your experience would be classified as clinical death. Neuroscience is actively studying clinical deaths.

As for receiving information about a future event, I had those as a child all the time. They eventually waned but I can clearly remember on numerous occasions having some type of "day dream," only for the event to happen days, weeks or months later. It was in that moment that I felt deja vu. That is called precognition, and it too falls under neuroscience. Doctors say we only use about 10% of our brain. Unlocking the other 90% might reveal things such as precognition, telepathy, telekinesis, etc. and those supernatural powers might trigger during a NDE. We don't know...

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
/There is clinical death (brain dead but the body lives on, via life support or on its own) /

This was mine until the machines were turned off, some time later being wheeled
to the morgue i awoke sat up demanded they not give me any drugs and frightened
the poor nurse, who rushed of to inform the neurosurgeon
No offence taken, quite the opposite :)

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
/There is clinical death (brain dead but the body lives on, via life support or on its own) /

This was mine until the machines were turned off, some time later being wheeled
to the morgue i awoke sat up demanded they not give me any drugs and frightened
the poor nurse, who rushed of to inform the neurosurgeon
No offence taken, quite the opposite :)

Was there any religious aspect, or was it, non-specific?

This is a strange question to ask, but have you seen the movie Her? There's a lot going on in it, nothing about NDEs particularly, but I was wondering if there's anything that makes some sort of connection in the second half?