• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Deists worship G-d?

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Was there any religious aspect, or was it, non-specific?

This is a strange question to ask, but have you seen the movie Her? There's a lot going on in it, nothing about NDEs particularly, but I was wondering if there's anything that makes some sort of connection in the second half?

Yes somewhat religious, not exactly what i may have anticipated, as in no old
grey bearded Judge... but the gatekeeper who met me and conducted the Life
review was somewhat young (around 30, as was surprisingly my grandfather
when i met him) Gatekeeper was around 6 foot, long reddish brown hair,
and dressed in a long white robe that seemed woven of light..
the arrival lounge had white insubstantial walls, comfortable size room but
could not define the corners, somewhat like standing inside a white eggshell.

No not seen the move, perhaps i will look for it ..

Father

Devourer of Truth
No. as God needs no worship.
does an Ant praise the Sun? no, the Ant is barely aware of the Sun. even though it requires the Sun for Life it does not need to notice or pay attention to it.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
No. as God needs no worship.
does an Ant praise the Sun? no, the Ant is barely aware of the Sun. even though it requires the Sun for Life it does not need to notice or pay attention to it.

Not directly no. But I equate God with Truth, and "worship" that God, if It exists, through the pursuit of Truth. That's what we should do in any case, whether God is a divine consciousness or not.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Not directly no. But I equate God with Truth, and "worship" that God, if It exists, through the pursuit of Truth. That's what we should do in any case, whether God is a divine consciousness or not.
if something should be done we would. as whatever such a being wants would already be programmed in us. that's why worship is needed. and doctrine false

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Right
if something should be done we would. as whatever such a being wants would already be programmed in us. that's why worship is needed. and doctrine false
The ability to know right and wrong is programmed in us, but we have free will and can choose to override it.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Right

The ability to know right and wrong is programmed in us, but we have free will and can choose to override it.

no as what we deem right and wrong varies greatly and is environmentally based, we feel empathy but that's not apart to any right or wrong. it's simply a social ability we possess as to better strengthen social order.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Right

one glance at history shows morality is subjective. if it was objective it would be solid and equal across the board and would not change

Father

Devourer of Truth
Right

nor does free will play into effect. your morality is based on your upbringing. there is no overriding it as it is 100% mentally constructed and easily overrideable. most who override the commonly held morality are not overriding it they have a different morality they follow.

example. a commonly held idea for here in America is one should not drink before the designated age. this is subjective of course as it varies greatly country to country there is no specific age when someone should or should not drink. there are however wide gaps of when someone should not. but I digress. I occasionally drink wine with dinner. it's not me overriding my morality its I hold a different morality and standards than most other people. due to upbringing.

the only instance it is a overridement of morality is if someone admits that doing X is wrong and does X anyway.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Right

It's just the opposite.
What is programmed into us are the instincts that spread our genes in the wild. Theft, rape, murder, our immoral tendencies are built in. But they can be overridden if we learn to do so and why it's good to do so. But we really aren't as smart as we think we are. So we often go with our immoral instinctive behaviors, even when they're self destructive.
If everybody lived a moral life we would be living in a near paradise. But few of us are that smart.
Tom

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i think it boils down to the worth of living at all. if not for what's true in the heart, what's the point. love is as strong, stronger than death. even in ceasing to exist. at least you can smile at something with peace, and it was worth breathing. I don't know how people live without it.

Father

Devourer of Truth
If everybody lived a moral life we would be living in a near paradise. But few of us are that smart.
Tom
Who is the arbiter of Morality? God? 1000s of holy books each with different rules. the State? Laws vary per state and per country. who decides which ones are superior?

Morality is Subjective and man-made. it varies for each person. and it is the agreed upon Morals commonly shared by a people that decide the held Morality and in turn Law. *though Law is dictated by the state and can sometimes reflect the leader's Morals and not the people*

Furthermore, the suppression of all Animalistic Desire only turns it into poison which corrodes one's self and others. its why the Church houses so many pedophiles. as thanks to the Greed of the Catholics who mandate Abstinence for their Priests as Priests are employed by the Church or were and the Church did not want to pay for families, they mandated Abstinence which leads to the Priests letting out Lust in a different way.

now the smart you mention are those who understand the state of morality being a Liquid. and understanding of the Sins. the Seven deadly sins while of Christian creation hold a deeper meaning.

There are seven deadly sins of man. Pride. Wrath. Sloth. Greed. Gluttony. Lust. and Envy. each one in excess can lead a man to ruin. but you must understand them to understand Humanity. and you must possess them to truly Experience Humanity.

only by releasing them correctly can Order be maintained and for us to reach that near-utopian society. simply drowning in them or rejecting them only leads to Ruin.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
no as what we deem right and wrong varies greatly and is environmentally based, we feel empathy but that's not apart to any right or wrong. it's simply a social ability we possess as to better strengthen social order.

one glance at history shows morality is subjective. if it was objective it would be solid and equal across the board and would not change

nor does free will play into effect. your morality is based on your upbringing. there is no overriding it as it is 100% mentally constructed and easily overrideable. most who override the commonly held morality are not overriding it they have a different morality they follow.

example. a commonly held idea for here in America is one should not drink before the designated age. this is subjective of course as it varies greatly country to country there is no specific age when someone should or should not drink. there are however wide gaps of when someone should not. but I digress. I occasionally drink wine with dinner. it's not me overriding my morality its I hold a different morality and standards than most other people. due to upbringing.

the only instance it is a overridement of morality is if someone admits that doing X is wrong and does X anyway.

It's just the opposite.
What is programmed into us are the instincts that spread our genes in the wild. Theft, rape, murder, our immoral tendencies are built in. But they can be overridden if we learn to do so and why it's good to do so. But we really aren't as smart as we think we are. So we often go with our immoral instinctive behaviors, even when they're self destructive.
Tom

When a fully self-aware human murders, rapes, steals from or enslaves another human, we, unlike the animals, automatically, inherently know what it's like to be the victim of those evil actions. If we do it in self-defense, then there is no victim. But if it's not in self-defense, there's only one way to rationalize it, that is to say my desires are more worthy than theirs, and my vanity is thus justified. A moral double standard is the root of ALL evil. Another way of saying this is that subjective morality is the root of all evil, and is the most egregious when it's adopted by whole societies who use it to rationalize their slavery or genocide. Merely saying those things are justified doesn't make it so.

Father

Devourer of Truth
When a fully self-aware human murders, rapes, steals from or enslaves another human, we, unlike the animals, automatically, inherently know what it's like to be the victim of those evil actions. If we do it in self-defense, then there is no victim. But if it's not in self-defense, there's only one way to rationalize it, that is to say my desires are more worthy than theirs, and my vanity is thus justified. A moral double standard is the root of ALL evil. Another way of saying this is that subjective morality is the root of all evil, and is the most egregious when it's adopted by whole societies who use it to rationalize their slavery or genocide. Merely saying those things are justified doesn't make it so.

again empathy and morality are two different things

morality does not just do with murder or rape or slavery. it deals with things like homosexuality. how to deal with criminals. many other factors.
I can empathize with the Germans of WW2 or should I say before WW2 and understand their actions. it does not mean the Nazi's were right.
Empathy is there simply to strengthen Social Order. but even that ranges person to person. some feel zero empathy. some can watch 1000s of people die but only feel it for a certain few people.

it is hardly as black and white as you think as Good and Evil don't exist in nature. there are even other animals like Cats which kill for pure pleasure. i don't see any of them getting smote

Father

Devourer of Truth

then follow the bible. fully with everything it say's. oh, you don't like its standards? want everyone to follow your idea of Morality? hahaha well, that's how Tyrants are formed. and Law.

what you see as Good and Evil and how the world should be are your own opinions. many would disagree and you are no more right than they are.

for instance, how should one handle a rapist? simply kill them? many disagree. many disagree on a lot of things. each with some valid points.

however, my Morality is no more Objective than that of ISIS.

even if we reason that Murder is harmful as a whole I can list plenty of individualistic times it can be just and reasoned.

War itself can be beneficial greater than peace as technological advancements increase and speed up.

see the irony is as a Deist you should be able to Logically deduce if the creator wanted us to have some Moral code we would all share the same one. that's false we don't share the same one. we never have. I can list you thousands of human civilizations each with a different idea of it. does it mean we should not have morals? no we need them for the stupid people. its more so a matter of understanding their fluidity so we can better adapt and edit them to fit our needs

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
it is hardly as black and white as you think as Good and Evil don't exist in nature. there are even other animals like Cats which kill for pure pleasure. i don't see any of them getting smote

All animals and even young children are innocent. They run on pure instinct. None of them have full self-awareness which requires understanding the universality and finality of death.

then follow the bible. fully with everything it say's. oh, you don't like its standards? want everyone to follow your idea of Morality? hahaha well, that's how Tyrants are formed. and Law.

Of course standards are necessary, but I divide them up between moral standards where the equal rights of all (life, liberty, property and self-defense) are violated, and behavior that doesn't (sex between consenting adults, going to church on Sunday, praying to Mecca, etc.) which I categorize as individually determined virtues. Half of the 10 Commandments don't deal with morality. The problem is religions mix them up and don't differentiate them. The O/T has five hundred some "laws". That's BS.

what you see as Good and Evil and how the world should be are your own opinions. many would disagree and you are no more right than they are.

I've delineate 4 moral rights based on one point, the near universal desire for good order, which only despots and anarchists would disagree. Without them, there can be no objective morality and without that, no basis for law/good order where you can justify anything including genocide.

for instance, how should one handle a rapist? simply kill them? many disagree. many disagree on a lot of things. each with some valid points.

Yes, but while rape is objectively immoral, how we punish it and other violations of equal rights is more subjective.

however, my Morality is no more Objective than that of ISIS.

You don't get to decide by majority what's immoral. If you do, anything can be "moral" a la ISIS, Nazis, slave states, etc.

even if we reason that Murder is harmful as a whole I can list plenty of individualistic times it can be just and reasoned.
Killing yes, murder not.

War itself can be beneficial greater than peace as technological advancements increase and speed up.

Countries are like individuals, they have a right to defend themselves,

see the irony is as a Deist you should be able to Logically deduce if the creator wanted us to have some Moral code we would all share the same one.

That's what I've done, but not based on what God wants (that's not apparent) but deduced based on what I described above. The moral code so deduced is, "Honoring the EQUAL rights of ALL to life, liberty, property and self-defense, to be free from violation through force or fraud." That's it. It's basically a clarified Golden Rule. All else is virtue.

that's false we don't share the same one. we never have. I can list you thousands of human civilizations each with a different idea of it.

How do you justify morality decided by committee or majority? By that reasoning, the right of anyone to their life could be violated by whim.

does it mean we should not have morals? no we need them for the stupid people. its more so a matter of understanding their fluidity so we can better adapt and edit them to fit our needs

We need morals as a basis for law and good order.