• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do christians go straight to heaven upon their deaths?

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
did I say otherwise ?no
The righteous and the wicked will be raised.

I believe we all will be raised in immortal bodies. I believe our spirits never die, even after the death of our earthly bodies die, and that we will be raised with bodies, like our spirit, will never die.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Muflled said:
"I get all I need to know from the Paraclete."
Do you have a direct link with the Holy Spirit? How did you tap into that as I'd like to tap into that also.
I believe that happened when I asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. However I found my spiritual life benefitted from receiving the gift of tongues. At this point I am very close to Jesus and I didn't do anything so I have to believe it is His choice.

cataway

The righteous and the wicked will be raised.

I believe we all will be raised in immortal bodies. I believe our spirits never die, even after the death of our earthly bodies die, and that we will be raised with bodies, like our spirit, will never die.
your likely aware that Jesus resurrected several different people , all of them got back the life they had before they died . not even one received a immortal bodies. only the ones that will be going to heaven receive immortal spirit bodies and that is a set number of 144,000

Muffled

Jesus in me
Scripture tells us that all that are in the graves will hear the trumpet. It doesnt mention heaven here at all. Also, when scripture says that the dead are "sleeping" or "sleeping in Christ', they are still dead. It is symbollic because "like a sleep" they will awake from "death" at his return. When your dead, you are dead until the resurrection. Here are some verses that prove that.

1. "Dust thou art: to dust thou shalt return." (Genesis 3:192. "Abraham gave up the "spirit" (gava: expired, breathed out), and died, and was gathered to his people"3. "In death there is no remembrance of Thee: in the grave, who shall give Thee thanks?" (Psalm 6:5).4. "The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence." (Psalm 115:17)
5. "The grave cannot praise Thee; death cannot celebrate Thee; they that go down into the pit cannot hope for Thy truth: the living, he shall praise Thee, as I do this day" (Isaiah 38:18-19).
6. "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun."
7. "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." Romans 5:12

These are just some verses that tell us what happens in death. God says that we will die. Why would you not want to believe that? If you fear God, you dont fear death. Paul say that we have hope in the resurrection.

These verses tell us that we CANNOT praise God. We dont have any more memory of anything. We dont think, love, hate, envy, etc. We are dead, until the return of Christ.

I did not find this scripture so I believe you need to qoute it. I am skeptical that it says what you say it does.

If you are trying to say that the dead stay that way I don't believe that but believe people are re-incarnated.

I don't believe those verses prove that.

I don't believe those verses give a good description of death other than from the perspective of the survivors.

Muffled

Jesus in me
your likely aware that Jesus resurrected several different people , all of them got back the life they had before they died . not even one received a immortal bodies. only the ones that will be going to heaven receive immortal spirit bodies and that is a set number of 144,000

I believe if you mean going up to the clouds by saying heaven then you are correct if You mean Heaven as the place where nothing exists except spirits then you are wrong.

I believe that erroneous doctrine has been around for a long time but it is jsut as much in error as it ever was. There are 144,000 Jews going to the clouds as a first fruit rapture and then a multitude of people going to the clouds after that.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I believe if you mean going up to the clouds by saying heaven then you are correct if You mean Heaven as the place where nothing exists except spirits then you are wrong.

I believe that erroneous doctrine has been around for a long time but it is jsut as much in error as it ever was. There are 144,000 Jews going to the clouds as a first fruit rapture and then a multitude of people going to the clouds after that.

What to you mean by "going up into the clouds?"

cataway

I believe if you mean going up to the clouds by saying heaven then you are correct if You mean Heaven as the place where nothing exists except spirits then you are wrong
john 14:2 In the house of my Father are many dwelling places. Otherwise, I would have told you, for I am going my way to prepare a place for you. 3 Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will receive you home to myself, so that where I am you also may be.
evidently its not some place in the clouds.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What to you mean by "going up into the clouds?"
I beleive I mean that we don't go very far from earth.

Here is the reference:
I Th. 4:17 then we that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

The words "caught up" are "rapio" in Latin and the source for the term rapture.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
John 5:28-30 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice [29] and come out---those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. [30] By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

It is common to say "This person has gone to be with the Lord", "He is looking at us from heaven now". But according to this verse, that is not so. Those who have believed in Christ and been baptized in His name for the remission of their sins, when they die, stay in their graves until Jesus returns. I recently heard Pat Robertson say that a person's spirit goes to heaven, but they are reunited with their body at the resurrection. As I understand it here, the dead will here his voice. I believe their spirit, not their bodies, hear his voice, but I could be wrong on that.
However, why have the final judgement, if everyone is already in heaven or hell?

Do you believe we are sent to our ultimate destinaton upon our death or at judgement day?

Thank you.

I've always found 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 to be rather interesting and powerful verses, as they do provide support to varying Christian concepts and for me, have inspired me at times to ponder such concepts.

I can understand those that believe in a rapture, as these verses do state that the dead and living in Christ will rise and meet Christ in the clouds. These verses also reference a rest - "sleeping in Christ". The "dead in Christ".

It's these verses that have prompted my pondering over what sleep or death in Christ really means. Is this a literal rest in peace or suspension of our spirit. Could this entail more?

The verses do not say as such, but, it's made the Catholic concept of purgatory and the the Mormon concept of spiritual prison more thought provoking for me.

I don't know what happens and believe that as long as I'm with Christ, these aren't details that require a firm understanding on my part. It's nonetheless fascinating to me.

Source: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 - Believers Who Have Died - Brothers and - Bible Gateway

Muffled

Jesus in me
john 14:2 In the house of my Father are many dwelling places. Otherwise, I would have told you, for I am going my way to prepare a place for you. 3 Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will receive you home to myself, so that where I am you also may be.
evidently its not some place in the clouds.

I believe that is exactly where those rooms will be.

The reference is:
I Th. 4:17 then we that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've always found 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 to be rather interesting and powerful verses, as they do provide support to varying Christian concepts and for me, have inspired me at times to ponder such concepts.

I can understand those that believe in a rapture, as these verses do state that the dead and living in Christ will rise and meet Christ in the clouds. These verses also reference a rest - "sleeping in Christ". The "dead in Christ".

It's these verses that have prompted my pondering over what sleep or death in Christ really means. Is this a literal rest in peace or suspension of our spirit. Could this entail more?

The verses do not say as such, but, it's made the Catholic concept of purgatory and the the Mormon concept of spiritual prison more thought provoking for me.

I don't know what happens and believe that as long as I'm with Christ, these aren't details that require a firm understanding on my part. It's nonetheless fascinating to me.

Source: 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 - Believers Who Have Died - Brothers and - Bible Gateway

I believe the spirit is capable of becoming bored and ceasing active consciousness. The reason I believe that is that in my own body the spirit is not always active but ceases activity and I call that a deep sleep. However the verse does not say all do that but it mentions those who do sleep. So we won't have to worry if the trumpet is loud enough to wake the dead, lol.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I believe the spirit is capable of becoming bored and ceasing active consciousness. The reason I believe that is that in my own body the spirit is not always active but ceases activity and I call that a deep sleep. However the verse does not say all do that but it mentions those who do sleep. So we won't have to worry if the trumpet is loud enough to wake the dead, lol.

Those verses in 1 Thessalonians 4 speak to those who are literally deceased.

These verses were an attempt by Paul to provide reassurance to those concerned for their loved ones who had passed before them. There were questions and concerns as to what happens to those who pass on before Christ's return.

cataway

clouds hid things , airplanes can be said to disappear into the clouds, so that they are no longer visible.
do you agree ?

moorea944

I beleive I mean that we don't go very far from earth.

Here is the reference:

The words "caught up" are "rapio" in Latin and the source for the term rapture.

The chapter is about resurrection of the dead and the living when Christ returns to earth. Our "english" bibles have it translated wrong. They have it, "in the clouds and in the air". In greek, it should be "in clouds and in air". Big difference. People think that is their "rapture", that we actually go and meet Christ in the air to be with him forever.

Notice that those verses dont have heaven in them. But were is Christ going to be? He is coming back to earth. It is a symbollic verse. Clouds in scripture represent a mulitude of people. In most cases it is Christ and the saints (or believers). Air represents government. The verse is telling us that the risen dead will be with the living to meet Christ for judgement where he will be. Which will be on earth, not in heaven or in the air. He will be with his people and will create a new government of righteousness and truth.

Plus, "caught up" is translated wrong.
CAUGHT UP - Gr. harpazo - To snatch, To seize, To take hold of forcibly
Never does it mention "Up' or in any direction. And unfortunelty, now people have created a rapture or going up somewhere that is not even biblical.
Paul is telling people that we will be with the Lord when he comes back. On earth.

jeager106

Premium Member
One must be careful about ancient words & meaning when figuring out
the rapture.
The word "rapture" appears no where in biblical texts.
For those intersted in the false notion of the rapture I'd suggest doing some diligent
reading on the subject w/o the emotions clouding sense.
Heres a place to start. Just one of many.
Debunking The Rapture By Verse

jeager106

Premium Member
The chapter is about resurrection of the dead and the living when Christ returns to earth. Our "english" bibles have it translated wrong. They have it, "in the clouds and in the air". In greek, it should be "in clouds and in air". Big difference. People think that is their "rapture", that we actually go and meet Christ in the air to be with him forever.

Notice that those verses dont have heaven in them. But were is Christ going to be? He is coming back to earth. It is a symbollic verse. Clouds in scripture represent a mulitude of people. In most cases it is Christ and the saints (or believers). Air represents government. The verse is telling us that the risen dead will be with the living to meet Christ for judgement where he will be. Which will be on earth, not in heaven or in the air. He will be with his people and will create a new government of righteousness and truth.

Plus, "caught up" is translated wrong.
CAUGHT UP - Gr. harpazo - To snatch, To seize, To take hold of forcibly
Never does it mention "Up' or in any direction. And unfortunelty, now people have created a rapture or going up somewhere that is not even biblical.
Paul is telling people that we will be with the Lord when he comes back. On earth.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
I wouldn't gurarantee that He went there that way either.
You can find out for yourself, but you will have to get Jesus' teachings and obey them. Otherwise, you are only giving your worthless opinions. Go get some knowledge and experience and obey Jesus.

GreenKepi

There is no reason to believe that most who die go floating off to heaven to be with God and sing praises 24/7. That sounds more like hell to me.
Hell as a blazing inferno does not exist. There is nothing in the Bible to support a hell of entrnal torment. Eternal torment brings no glory to God, only glory to Satan.
Please do some serious research on heaven and if I'm wrong you need to tell me.
Thanks.
I believe you are correct concerning Hell; however, I think that during those 3 days before Christ's resurrection, He led the captivies who were held in Abraham's Bosom/Paradise, to Heaven. There had to be a holding area since He had not shed His blood prior to His death on the Cross. (Ephesians 4:8). Christians are going to have more to do than just sing praises and pray....

sincerly

I believe you are correct concerning Hell; however, I think that during those 3 days before Christ's resurrection, He led the captivies who were held in Abraham's Bosom/Paradise, to Heaven. There had to be a holding area since He had not shed His blood prior to His death on the Cross. (Ephesians 4:8). Christians are going to have more to do than just sing praises and pray....

GK, There is no burning "hell" at this time and the "holding area" is the same as it has been since the first person died---the grave/pit/etc.
The parable of "Abraham's Bosom/paradise" isn't factual/a true "place".
However, the Scriptures do indicate that the redeemed will have much in which to be joyously active.