• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do christians go straight to heaven upon their deaths?

Muffled

Jesus in me
If you can find them for me, that would be great, thanks

Mt 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
I believe this fits in with this verse as well:
Mt 6:21 for where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've never seen any. I don't think they could be found, because the scriptures say the opposite. Heaven or hell comes at judgement day.

I believe you can present srciptures that you think say so but I doubt that they do.

moorea944

Mt 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
I believe this fits in with this verse as well:
Mt 6:21 for where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also.
What is our treasure in heaven? Is this verse saying that when we die we go to heaven? I dont see that. Right now, our treasure, our promises, our rewards ARE in heaven. But "what else" does the bible say on that? Jesus tells us that we will recieve those things when he comes back (to earth). When he comes back, the bible does not tell us that he or we go back to heaven. It tells us that we will stay on earth with Christ.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What is our treasure in heaven? Is this verse saying that when we die we go to heaven? I dont see that. Right now, our treasure, our promises, our rewards ARE in heaven. But "what else" does the bible say on that? Jesus tells us that we will recieve those things when he comes back (to earth). When he comes back, the bible does not tell us that he or we go back to heaven. It tells us that we will stay on earth with Christ.

I believe If I have a treasure stored somewhere but I can never go there then I don't really have a treasure.

I dont believe I have ever seen a verse that says Heavenly treasures are available to those on earth but I suspect that the treasure goes wherever the spirit goes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
From that scripture alone, I get the impression Christians will rise on judgement day and also scriptur says they will be judged by their deeds. (2 corinthians 5-10). The next part of that scripture it would seem those who are condemmed will not rise but stay dead in their graves(hell).

Also I read in scripture somewhere that the dead will walk the earth until judgement and the believers will go straight to God. Inread that long time ago.

Your question:

Do you believe we are sent to our ultimate destinaton upon our death or at judgement day?

I dont believe that. However, according to the verses you provided, it is at death. However that contradicts what I read.

John 5:28-30 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice [29] and come out---those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. [30] By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

It is common to say "This person has gone to be with the Lord", "He is looking at us from heaven now". But according to this verse, that is not so. Those who have believed in Christ and been baptized in His name for the remission of their sins, when they die, stay in their graves until Jesus returns. I recently heard Pat Robertson say that a person's spirit goes to heaven, but they are reunited with their body at the resurrection. As I understand it here, the dead will here his voice. I believe their spirit, not their bodies, hear his voice, but I could be wrong on that.
However, why have the final judgement, if everyone is already in heaven or hell?

Do you believe we are sent to our ultimate destinaton upon our death or at judgement day?

Thank you.

Last edited:

moorea944

I believe If I have a treasure stored somewhere but I can never go there then I don't really have a treasure.

I dont believe I have ever seen a verse that says Heavenly treasures are available to those on earth but I suspect that the treasure goes wherever the spirit goes.
The bible tells us that our promise or rewards or treasures in being prepared for us in heaven. But, then "what else' does scripture tell us. It says that Christ will give us them when he comes back. Doesnt it? Plus, why would you want to go and stay in heaven when the bible tells us that when Christ comes back, he will stay here on earth?

Muffled

Jesus in me
From that scripture alone, I get the impression Christians will rise on judgement day and also scriptur says they will be judged by their deeds. (2 corinthians 5-10). The next part of that scripture it would seem those who are condemmed will not rise but stay dead in their graves(hell).

Also I read in scripture somewhere that the dead will walk the earth until judgement and the believers will go straight to God. Inread that long time ago.

Your question:

I dont believe that. However, according to the verses you provided, it is at death. However that contradicts what I read.

I believe the verse does not say this. It appears that you have different verses confused. The Judgement-seat of Christ does not appear on judgement day and does not include those who have already risen in the first resurrection. There is no guarantee that the second resurrection has Christian converts but it is a possibility.

If Paul is not making a direct reference to the last judgement then he may well have been referring to a more immediate judgement that occurs when one dies. One can't recieve that which he has done in the body outside of the body so this suggests re-incarnation. For instance if a person murdred someone then in his next life he could die a violent death. That would be receiving what he gave.

I don't believe I see this anywhere in the verse so you will have to point it out to me.

I believe this is more imagined than real so you need to search for it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The bible tells us that our promise or rewards or treasures in being prepared for us in heaven. But, then "what else' does scripture tell us. It says that Christ will give us them when he comes back. Doesnt it? Plus, why would you want to go and stay in heaven when the bible tells us that when Christ comes back, he will stay here on earth?

I found no verse that says this so you will need to find it for me.

I believe being in the Kingdom on earth is the best one can get but after thousands of years of life a person might need a rest from the flesh. Before the Kingdom comes there are those who can't stand evil or the evil that was done to them was traumatic so a rest from evil in heaven is quite welcome.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I didnt understand too much what you said. What I read in scripture is that the dead (in sins) will walk the earth until judgement. Christians will go straight to heaven and they will be judged by their deeds. I dont know if christians have too many bad deeds would God send them to hell, I dont know.

As for judgement day and seat, I never believed that. I know there are many interpretations from revelations, but Im not biblical literate to talk about history and context of revelations. I couldnt get through rev. when i read it years ago. Too thick.

I believe the verse does not say this. It appears that you have different verses confused. The Judgement-seat of Christ does not appear on judgement day and does not include those who have already risen in the first resurrection. There is no guarantee that the second resurrection has Christian converts but it is a possibility.

If Paul is not making a direct reference to the last judgement then he may well have been referring to a more immediate judgement that occurs when one dies. One can't recieve that which he has done in the body outside of the body so this suggests re-incarnation. For instance if a person murdred someone then in his next life he could die a violent death. That would be receiving what he gave.

I don't believe I see this anywhere in the verse so you will have to point it out to me.

I believe this is more imagined than real so you need to search for it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I didnt understand too much what you said. What I read in scripture is that the dead (in sins) will walk the earth until judgement. Christians will go straight to heaven and they will be judged by their deeds. I dont know if christians have too many bad deeds would God send them to hell, I dont know.

As for judgement day and seat, I never believed that. I know there are many interpretations from revelations, but Im not biblical literate to talk about history and context of revelations. I couldnt get through rev. when i read it years ago. Too thick.

I don't believe there is any scripture that supports this view.

I believe God will not send a person to hell if his heart is right with God. For instance I know a person who loves sin and is in danger of going to Hell but I know another person who does not love sin but sins anyway and that person I believe will return to Heaven. Heaven does not innoculate one from sin (other than the time spent there) so a person will still need to work on those bad habits in corporeal life.

I can understand that because there are many possible interpretations and it probably won't be a personal concern for you.

moorea944

I found no verse that says this so you will need to find it for me.

Rev 22v12 "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be."

This is just one of many verses like this. We dont get our rewards now. Read Hebrews 11 too. And we are not judged at death. We will be judged at his return.

cataway

This is just one of many verses like this. We dont get our rewards now. Read Hebrews 11 too. And we are not judged at death. We will be judged at his return.
and yet Romans 6:

7 For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin.

there for there would be no judgment of past deeds

cataway

and yet there will be a judgment . but the judgment will be of things done after the resurrection.

how long after the resurrection ?

moorea944

and yet Romans 6:

7 For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin.

there for there would be no judgment of past deeds

He talking about baptisim. You symbollically die when you go down into the waters of baptism. Also, when your baptised, your sins are forgiven.

cataway

6:1-4 is about baptisim. but not 5-7
5 If we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united with him in the likeness of his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old personality was nailed to the stake along with him in order for our sinful body to be made powerless, so that we should no longer go on being slaves to sin. 7 For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin.

moorea944

6:1-4 is about baptisim. but not 5-7
5 If we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be united with him in the likeness of his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old personality was nailed to the stake along with him in order for our sinful body to be made powerless, so that we should no longer go on being slaves to sin. 7 For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin.

No, it IS about baptism. Baptism symbolizes Jesus's death and resurrection. When we go down into the waters of baptism, we die with Christ, when we come up, it symbolizes his resurrection. Now.... we are "in Christ".

cataway

Jesus Christ died as “the Lamb of God” in order that he might ‘take away the sin of the world.’ So what he “takes away” cannot be charged to the world of mankind after they are resurrected from the dead. To this effect, the apostle Paul wrote: “We should no longer go on being slaves to sin. For he who has died has been acquitted from his sin.” (Rom. 6:6, 7) Hence, by being resurrected no redeemed human comes into “double jeopardy,” to be punished again for what he did before his death. Consequently, the determining factor for resurrected mankind will be, What will they henceforth make of their lives, now that they are given a new life .

Muffled

Jesus in me
Rev 22v12 "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be."

I believe that verse refers to one particular reward (notice the singular noun) and not rewards in general.