• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do christians go straight to heaven upon their deaths?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
John 5:28-30 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice [29] and come out---those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. [30] By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

It is common to say "This person has gone to be with the Lord", "He is looking at us from heaven now". But according to this verse, that is not so. Those who have believed in Christ and been baptized in His name for the remission of their sins, when they die, stay in their graves until Jesus returns. I recently heard Pat Robertson say that a person's spirit goes to heaven, but they are reunited with their body at the resurrection. As I understand it here, the dead will here his voice. I believe their spirit, not their bodies, hear his voice, but I could be wrong on that.
However, why have the final judgement, if everyone is already in heaven or hell?

Do you believe we are sent to our ultimate destinaton upon our death or at judgement day?

Thank you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do you believe we are sent to our ultimate destinaton upon our death or at judgement day?
I believe we do not go to our final destination until judgment day, and if I didn't have wet nails right now, I'd elaborate. :p

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
There is no reason to believe that most who die go floating off to heaven to be with God and sing praises 24/7. That sounds more like hell to me.
Hell as a blazing inferno does not exist. There is nothing in the Bible to support a hell of entrnal torment. Eternal torment brings no glory to God, only glory to Satan.
Please do some serious research on heaven and if I'm wrong you need to tell me.
Thanks.

Faybull

John 5:28-30 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice [29] and come out---those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. [30] By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

It is common to say "This person has gone to be with the Lord", "He is looking at us from heaven now". But according to this verse, that is not so. Those who have believed in Christ and been baptized in His name for the remission of their sins, when they die, stay in their graves until Jesus returns. I recently heard Pat Robertson say that a person's spirit goes to heaven, but they are reunited with their body at the resurrection. As I understand it here, the dead will here his voice. I believe their spirit, not their bodies, hear his voice, but I could be wrong on that.
However, why have the final judgement, if everyone is already in heaven or hell?

Thank you.
For starters, it isn't "graves".

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
There is no reason to believe that most who die go floating off to heaven to be with God and sing praises 24/7. That sounds more like hell to me.
Hell as a blazing inferno does not exist. There is nothing in the Bible to support a hell of entrnal torment. Eternal torment brings no glory to God, only glory to Satan.
Please do some serious research on heaven and if I'm wrong you need to tell me.
Thanks.
jeager106,
There's no point to argue that. Scripture doesn't say we'll be singing praises 24/7. The OP isn't about what heaven is like, but when Christians go.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Thank you.

Was Jesus sent to his ultimate destination upon his death?_______ - Acts 2 vs 27,31,32

No one who died before Jesus died goes to heaven including king David.
- John 3 v 13; Acts 2 v 34; Matthew 11 v 11
In a nut shell that means those dead ones can have a healthy physical resurrection back to life on earth during Jesus' coming millennium-long day or ruling over earth.
That is why Acts 24 v 15 mentions the future tense ' there is going to be ' a resurrection......
All those mentioned in Hebrews chapter 11 will have a future resurrection- Heb. 11 vs 13,39

Jesus made a covenant or a contract with a small group of his followers for a kingdom [ aka heaven or heavenly resurrection ] Those called to heaven are part of a first or earlier resurrection over the majority of mankind - Rev. 20 v 6; 5 vs 9,10; 2 v 10; Luke 12 v 32; 22 v 30. The majority of mankind [ John 10 v 16 ] will be resurrected or restored back to healthy physical life on earth during Jesus' 1000-year judgment day.

Did Adam have a separate spirit? All of Adam ' returned ' to the dust - Genesis 3 v 19
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.
In Scripture angelic life are spirits or spirit creation not humans
Even those humans called to heaven are Not to become angels but saints or holy ones.
When Adam died his life's spirit died along with dead Adam.
Just as a foreclosed house does Not move or go away anywhere but its future rests in the returned hands of the owner, then our spirit or life force goes in God's hands until resurrection day, or Jesus' millennial day of ruling over earth, when earth will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life' on earth for righteous mankind - Rev. 22 v 2

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
jeager106,
There's no point to argue that. Scripture doesn't say we'll be singing praises 24/7. The OP isn't about what heaven is like, but when Christians go.

But which Christians ?________and ' go where '
The ' brothers' of Matthew 25 v 40
The ' sheep' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32

The ' brothers' meaning Jesus' spiritual brothers ' go to heaven ' upon death to their heavenly resurrection - 1st Corinthians 15 vs 50,52; Rev. 20 v 6; Luke 12 v 32

Humble ' sheep' Christians who die before the coming ' time of separation' like the majority of mankind [ John 3 v 13; John 10 v 16 ] will have a future healthy physical resurrection on earth during Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth - Psalm 72 v 8 - that is why Acts 24 v 15 uses the ' future tense ' by saying , ' there is going to be ' a resurrection......
The humble ' sheep' will be part of the meek who will inherit the earth- Psalm 37 vs 11,29

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I agree. On the other hand, when the scriptures say that the spirit returns to God to gave it, it could only mean that our spirits were once with God.

Adam was created from the dust of the ground and returned to the ground- Gen. 3 v 19
At what point did Adam become animated [ alive ] but not until God breathed the ' breath of life' into inanimate Adam - Genesis 2 v 7

In a sense then when Jesus unlocks hell [ Rev. 1 v 18 ] and a person is resurrected back to life again [ some to heaven - Rev. 20 v 6 ], and the majority of mankind [ John 3 v 13 ] back to healthy physical life on earth then they will once again be animated or spirited.
As a pep rally is designed to create lively school spirit
Or a lively horse can be called a high-spirited horse
because they are full of life's spirit, they are Not spirits as angels are spirit creation.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I agree. On the other hand, when the scriptures say that the spirit returns to God to gave it, it could only mean that our spirits were once with God.

or it could mean that our spirit belongs to God, in that it is something that he himself provides, hence why when we have finished with it, it returns to him.

Adam didnt come to life until God breathed the breath into him. And spirit/ruach means 'breath'

Hence it was not something Adam had until God gave it to him and he came to life by it.... it being the 'breath of God'

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
A point to ponder. God created the earth and Adam and Eve.
( for the sake of picking the nit can we let that line ^^^^ slide?)
God indicated the first couple should "subdue the earth and make of it a paradise of pleasure", and " be fruitful & multiply".
If you accept that notion, that God wanted humans to live in a pardise earth and multiply, subue the earth and make something wonderful of it then why, oh, why to some Christians think our "soul, spirit", so forth, go someplace else for eternity?
I'm using only simple logic, not quoting verses where there is no need to quote them.
The Bible promises a resurrection. Why resurrect? What?
If "good" go the someplace else, and bad burn in torment someplace else what purpose is there in the planet?
God's first commandment, or if you perfer, suggestion, was to live right here on this planet and do something wonderful with it. Ergo why would the Great and Poweful, All Knowing Creator make humans to live on this planet in the first place?
So that if we "pass the test of temptation" we can be rewarded by going somewhere else?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
But which Christians ?________and ' go where '
The ' brothers' of Matthew 25 v 40
The ' sheep' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32

The ' brothers' meaning Jesus' spiritual brothers ' go to heaven ' upon death to their heavenly resurrection - 1st Corinthians 15 vs 50,52; Rev. 20 v 6; Luke 12 v 32

Humble ' sheep' Christians who die before the coming ' time of separation' like the majority of mankind [ John 3 v 13; John 10 v 16 ] will have a future healthy physical resurrection on earth during Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth - Psalm 72 v 8 - that is why Acts 24 v 15 uses the ' future tense ' by saying , ' there is going to be ' a resurrection......
The humble ' sheep' will be part of the meek who will inherit the earth- Psalm 37 vs 11,29
Who and where are also other questions. I agree with the future tense.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
or it could mean that our spirit belongs to God, in that it is something that he himself provides, hence why when we have finished with it, it returns to him.
It obviously means that to you. I believe it means that it returned to where it has its origins -- with God.

Adam didnt come to life until God breathed the breath into him. And spirit/ruach means 'breath'
Agreed (in terms of what the word "spirit" means). But just as Jehovah's Witnesses would say, "We don't have a soul; we are a soul," Mormons would say, "We don't have a spirit; we are a spirit." Our spirit is the essence of who we are and when it resides within a physical body, the resulting entity is a "living soul." So, according to our theology, our spirits resided with God, who created them, prior to their inhabiting the physical bodies we have here on earth.

Hence it was not something Adam had until God gave it to him and he came to life by it.... it being the 'breath of God'
Again, I'd say Adam had a spirit as soon as God created that spirit. It didn't necessarily have to occupy a physical body in order to be a living entity -- because spirit can also be translated as "life." A living soul is comprised of both a physical body and a spirit, but a spirit can exist apart from a physical body.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A point to ponder. God created the earth and Adam and Eve.
( for the sake of picking the nit can we let that line ^^^^ slide?)
God indicated the first couple should "subdue the earth and make of it a paradise of pleasure", and " be fruitful & multiply".
If you accept that notion, that God wanted humans to live in a pardise earth and multiply, subue the earth and make something wonderful of it then why, oh, why to some Christians think our "soul, spirit", so forth, go someplace else for eternity?
I'm using only simple logic, not quoting verses where there is no need to quote them.
The Bible promises a resurrection. Why resurrect? What?
If "good" go the someplace else, and bad burn in torment someplace else what purpose is there in the planet?
God's first commandment, or if you perfer, suggestion, was to live right here on this planet and do something wonderful with it. Ergo why would the Great and Poweful, All Knowing Creator make humans to live on this planet in the first place?
So that if we "pass the test of temptation" we can be rewarded by going somewhere else?

No, Earth is Not a stepping stone to heaven.
Jesus only chose some to rule in heaven with him - a little flock - Luke 12 v 32; Rev 20 v 6
The majority of mankind [ John 3 v 13; John 10 v 16 ] will be resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth starting with Jesus' coming 1000-year kingdom reign over earth.
- Psalm 72 v 8

Who taught you about a ' bad burn in torment ' I imagine it was a clergy person part of Christendom ?______ ' Torment ' in Scripture [ see Matthew 18 vs 30,34] is connected Not to ' torture ' but as a jailer to hold someone. Tormented in biblical hell [ grave ] means kept in the grave until resurrection day or Jesus' millennium-long day of ruling over earth.
- Acts 24 v 15

At death a person's spirit [ life force ] goes out like a burned-out light bulb.
Any future life prospect now lays in God's safe hands. Jesus now has the keys to unlock hell [ biblical grave ] and those resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth will help make earth a beautiful paradisaic earth as Eden originally was to enjoy forever- Psalm 37 vs 11,29

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Well, my nails are dry, so I can say what I was wanting to say this morning. :D I think Pat Robertson is sort of on the right track, but off the mark by just a little bit. I believe the individuals you are referring to go to Paradise when they die, but I don't believe Paradise and Heaven are the same place. Jesus told the repentant thief who hung next to Him on the cross that He'd see that day him in Paradise. Three days later, though, on the morning He was resurrected, He told Mary not to touch Him because He hadn't yet ascended to His Father in Heaven. He couldn't have been to Paradise but not to Heaven if they are the same place.

Besides, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (to me, anyway) that they'd go to Heaven for a while and then get their resurrected bodies later on. I see Paradise as a kind of an intermediate realm, the spirit world, where the righteous await the resurrection. According to my belief, the other part of the spirit world is the Prison spoken of in 1 Peter. That is where the wicked dead will hear the gospel taught (not by Jesus himself but by the believers who are in Paradise) and will be able to either accept or reject it. If we all (the righteous and the wicked) were to go to their final destination immediately upon death, there would be no logical reason for a delay in our getting our resurrected bodies. The "final judgement" is called that for a good reason. It's not the first time we will be judged, but the last time.

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas

Thank you.
I don't know. I'll try to let you know if and when I get there. ;)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Angels are spirits, or spirit creation, and live apart from a physical body, but Adam did Not live apart from his body. All of Adam ' returned ' to the dust - Genesis 3 v 19

God's spirit at Numbers 11 vs 17,25 is in the neuter ' it '. God and Jesus are Not neuters.
So, God is a Spirit [ invisible to us ] and angels are spirit creation, but God's spirit [ Psalm 104 v 30 ] and Adam's spirit are an energizing force animating life. God gave Adam the ' breath ' of life before Adam became spirited or alive.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't know. I'll try to let you know if and when I get there. ;)

Get where? __________
Scripture speaks of two [ 2 ] resurrections:
One, first or earlier resurrection to heaven for some - Rev. 20 v 6
Then a future or later resurrection for the majority of mankind [ John 3 v 13 ] to enjoy a healthy physical resurrection back to life on earth starting with Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth.