• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Cats Know They’re Cats?

anna.

but mostly it's the same
dogs-have-owners-cats-have-staff-225x300.png

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And of course there is the famous Terry Pratchett take on why cats are the way they are.

cats were gods.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My wife Sara claims that when our cats became older they said words. I guess I wasn't listening close enough.

We have a cat named Kore who likes to insult company. When she comes to snub one friend in particular, who both 'hear' her speak, and we come up with about the same thing. Kore is such a snob...

I'm sure they know that other cats are of the same tribe as they are, i.e. not foxes or birds or dogs.

But I doubt that they have an actual thought symbol to articulate the idea to themselves that cathood is the thing that unites them and that they themselves are cats.

I sometimes think they're capable of a bit more abstract thought than we give them credit for...

At our old house, we had an area of the bed called 'the pile'. In 'the pile', all were equal. Cats that couldn't normally sit together would be side by side, cleaning each other. I was tolerated in the pile as well, and to sit there was to subject myself to a good feline cleaning. It was a place for baths and sleep, but absolutely no drama. Its a shame when we moved, they didn't re-make the pile.

Heck, I think society could benefit from a 'pile' as well...

exchemist

Veteran Member
We have a cat named Kore who likes to insult company. When she comes to snub one friend in particular, who both 'hear' her speak, and we come up with about the same thing. Kore is such a snob...

I sometimes think they're capable of a bit more abstract thought than we give them credit for...

At our old house, we had an area of the bed called 'the pile'. In 'the pile', all were equal. Cats that couldn't normally sit together would be side by side, cleaning each other. I was tolerated in the pile as well, and to sit there was to subject myself to a good feline cleaning. It was a place for baths and sleep, but absolutely no drama. Its a shame when we moved, they didn't re-make the pile.

Heck, I think society could benefit from a 'pile' as well...
That's rather interesting - and charming. But I'm not sure it necessarily indicates abstract thought.

The cat we had when I was growing up, of which we were all very fond, was really quite stupid. My theory is that cats have a way of appearing clever because of their agility, grace and unpredictability - but in fact it's all a front and there's a lot less going on between those pointy ears than they let on. :D

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's rather interesting - and charming. But I'm not sure it necessarily indicates abstract thought.

The cat we had when I was growing up, of which we were all very fond, was really quite stupid. My theory is that cats have a way of appearing clever because of their agility, grace and unpredictability - but in fact it's all a front and there's a lot less going on between those pointy ears than they let on. :D

I think it depends on the cat.

I've got ten, and intelligence varies. On one hand, we have Troy, for whom I believe being able to walk and breathe at the same time is a miracle. On the other, is Lucky, who appears to be so human in his thoughts I occasionally get uncomfortable with the fact that he isn't wearing pants.

At our old house, Lucky broke out of the bathroom window by cutting the screen with his claw. We repaired the screen. However, he got out again. And again. Finally, we saw he had cut the screen a second time... right on the seam, so it wasn't visible unless pressed. He also understands the function of a doorknob, and how it turns, and spent a good long chunk of time trying to turn the stinking thing before he accepted his lack of thumbs had did him in here.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think it depends on the cat.

I've got ten, and intelligence varies. On one hand, we have Troy, for whom I believe being able to walk and breathe at the same time is a miracle. On the other, is Lucky, who appears to be so human in his thoughts I occasionally get uncomfortable with the fact that he isn't wearing pants.

At our old house, Lucky broke out of the bathroom window by cutting the screen with his claw. We repaired the screen. However, he got out again. And again. Finally, we saw he had cut the screen a second time... right on the seam, so it wasn't visible unless pressed. He also understands the function of a doorknob, and how it turns, and spent a good long chunk of time trying to turn the stinking thing before he accepted his lack of thumbs had did him in here.
Blimus! As Sid James says, as Mark Antony in "Carry On Cleo". Ten! Well, you are the expert, then.

But how the hell do you manage, when you have a couple of autistic kids as well? Glutton for punishment or what? :eek::eek: You must be permanently knackered.

Shadow11

Cats have facial recognition and can recognize people and other cats. They don't like everyone just like people - A cat can hate some cats and be friends with other cats they even hate certain people. They are a very social animal. I have a Russian blue I have never had a more loyal cat he is with me continuously at home and won't let me out of his sight.Cats always like me.

They do carry a parasite that they are not sure what effect they have on humans. The life cycle of the parasite Toxoplasma gondii goes like this: Toxoplasma reproduces inside the intestine of a cat, which sheds the parasite in its feces. Rats then ingest the parasite when they consume food or water contaminated with cat feces. The parasite takes up residence in the rat’s brain and, once the rat gets eaten by a cat, it starts the cycle all over again.It makes the rat seek out cats.

Maybe its the parasite talking when you see someone with way too many cats. Maybe there are some in my brain and its why I like them so much. Be careful or you will be at their command - because some will take my last line seriously I'm joking.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Blimus! As Sid James says, as Mark Antony in "Carry On Cleo". Ten! Well, you are the expert, then.

But how the hell do you manage, when you have a couple of autistic kids as well? Glutton for punishment or what? :eek::eek: You must be permanently knackered.

The cats keep me sane(though we never set out to have 10, most are formerly ferals). They're not a tremendous amount of work, and the oldest kid is capable of keeping up with the litter boxes(and its a good chore, anyways). Actually, one of the cats played 'therapy pet' at a time when we couldn't get the middle child in public(due to autism related meltdowns). Getting him from house to car took a monstrous amount of work... unless Cub came. Then he just simply walked to the car and buckled himself in, and saw to it Cub was comfortable(Cub is overly tolerant, extremely slow and lazy, and always has a dirty look on his face.)

exchemist

Veteran Member
The cats keep me sane(though we never set out to have 10, most are formerly ferals). They're not a tremendous amount of work, and the oldest kid is capable of keeping up with the litter boxes(and its a good chore, anyways). Actually, one of the cats played 'therapy pet' at a time when we couldn't get the middle child in public(due to autism related meltdowns). Getting him from house to car took a monstrous amount of work... unless Cub came. Then he just simply walked to the car and buckled himself in, and saw to it Cub was comfortable(Cub is overly tolerant, extremely slow and lazy, and always has a dirty look on his face.)
So the cats actually help, unwittingly? Now it starts to make sense.

And I suppose if they were feral, they will be pretty self-reliant, even for cats.;)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
So the cats actually help, unwittingly? Now it starts to make sense.

And I suppose if they were feral, they will be pretty self-reliant, even for cats.;)

I've noted, between feral born and domestic born, the ferals tend to be better behaved, neater, and healthier. Not sure why this is, it just is.

I've had cats help tend to babies, 'care' for me while I was ill(ol' Cub went into labor with me for the last child, despite being male and unable to relate to childbirth), calm upset kids, provide companionship and humor. They are excellent housemates. I just wish they'd stop turning the aquarium light on/off.