• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Avatars Govern Our Perceptions Of Posters?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Is your Scottish avatar angry about the unsuccessful referendum vote last month? I know he was campaigning for the 'Yes' team.
:(
Your avatar is excellent. Now let me guess....... you're..... errrr...... ummmm.... from Cornwall? :D

No.... really, I like the profile of the piper against the flag.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
That's an interesting question. I believe that avatars do have an impact on one's perception of the poster, even if it is a subtle one. The lack of an avatar does as well. I have a tendency to think of those without avatars as noobies, even if they aren't. It's sort of a gut-reaction thing.
That's good to know. I wasn't going to add one because I like anonymity and mystery. But maybe I was sending the wrong message in not choosing one before.

Parsimony

That's good to know. I wasn't going to add one because I like anonymity and mystery. But maybe I was sending the wrong message in not choosing one before.
I don't intend for that to be degrading to posters without avatars, just to be clear. It's just a feeling I find hard to shake sometimes.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
When I first joined I had a cross as my avatar, but I found too many people were taking me too seriously. That's when I decided to put Tigger. Tigger is one of my favorite characters in literature and in cartoons. The trouble is that since then some people don't seem to take me seriously at all.
So maybe you are onto something, Mr. Angry Toilet Cleaner, er, I mean Rev.
;)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I find that out of the clear blue, a poster is angry with me...even when I'm on me best behavior. And then I look at me avatar, which is variously an angry Scottish janitor shaking his fist, brandishing a hoe or shovel, or with his arm down a terlit. Does this mislead some from me normally soft & fluffy personality?

What other avatars create a strong impression about the poster?
Avatars affect people strongly, and your avatar is an humble janitor of the sort who could only do you credit. I can't imagine why it would affect anyone negatively. My only suggestion is that you try to find a better looking one. Like this:
Homer-Simpson-04-Happy-icon.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I first joined I had a cross as my avatar, but I found too many people were taking me too seriously. That's when I decided to put Tigger. Tigger is one of my favorite characters in literature and in cartoons. The trouble is that since then some people don't seem to take me seriously at all.
So maybe you are onto something, Mr. Angry Toilet Cleaner, er, I mean Rev.
;)
I like Tigger....he's happy & friendly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Avatars affect people strongly, and your avatar is an humble janitor of the sort who could only do you credit. I can't imagine why it would affect anyone negatively. My only suggestion is that you try to find a better looking one. Like this:
Homer-Simpson-04-Happy-icon.png
Groundskeeper Willie is the one I really identify with. And Homer is perhaps too ubiquitous. On another forum, in another incarnation I was Ralphie.....
ralph-wiggum-nose-picking.jpg

Wirey

Fartist
Mine says I have balls. Snow balls. Big, frosty, thump-you-upside-your-head snow balls. Plus, I'll be dead soon.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hedonism Bot, Robot Devil & Nixon's head are good ones.
I'd also like Lrr....
Fan_Art__Lrrr_by_dover19.jpg

And Morbo....
7866b00d02b4073a3a1064af4338370a.jpg

And of course, Dr John Zoidberg...
2298_1f17.gif

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Sometimes I find that out of the clear blue, a poster is angry with me...even when I'm on me best behavior. And then I look at me avatar, which is variously an angry Scottish janitor shaking his fist, brandishing a hoe or shovel, or with his arm down a terlit. Does this mislead some from me normally soft & fluffy personality?

Peace be on you.
Since you asked, allow me to say, I find you generally speaking good, kind and intelligent person who like to tease friends sometimes. But when I see your avatar, i feel very ......(lack of words).

If there are thousands of avatars to pick from, zeroing on one particular obviously has some meaning, unless one pick without care.

Good wishes.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

NAH!!! You foul smelling toilet hugging soft and fluffy Scottish malcontent.... and don't forget my 6 inch claws when you respond :D

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace to all.
I drew my own and uploaded. Once someone in Africa saw a dream that Fifth Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah (may Allah be his Helper) is holding a white flag with Kalima [la ilaha illallah muhammad ur rasul ullah: There is none worthy of worship except Allah, Muhammad is His Messenger] written and leading people in a greenish land.

These were the days when ISIS was emerging witha black flag and with same Kalima written on it.

I humbly then thought to make my own avatar as our Ahmadiyya Muslim philosophy is diametrically opposite to terrorists and fanatics who are killings innocents in the name of Allah and the Messenger.

Peace and love and to give life is Ahmadiyya - the pure Islam which we learned from Allah the Exalted. and Muhammad (pbuh).

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Revoltingest is having angst. Somebody should swap accounts with him for a couple of weeks.