• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all roads lead to God?

Straw Dog

Maybe all roads lead away from God in many different directions. Perhaps God wants us all to find our own way without developing a dependency disorder.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe all roads lead away from God in many different directions. Perhaps God wants us all to find our own way without developing a dependency disorder.

Wonder if there's such a thing as an in-dependency disorder.

kjw47

So you maybe an evildoer and not know it.

Most people think themselves on the winning team, don't you?

You tell them by their fruit but people have convinced themselves that bitter fruit is sweet having no good fruit to compare.

What if instead of 99% of all religions are not doing the will of God, it's 100%? A person could presume to belong to a 1% which may not exist at all.

I believe one could presume, but if they put the effort in to learn every utterance of God like Jesus said men needed to live by, they can find the 1 religion that has truth.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a recipe for disaster. The more one thinks about not sinning, the more one thinks about sinning. It is like thinking "I won't eat that cholcolate." The more you think about the chocolate, even negatively, the more likely it is that you will eat it.

This is my experience. Whenever I decide it is diet time I eat more. If I don't diet I eat less. I have heard there are studies done that prove "don't" to the brain means I must know why I should not do it so I have to do what I am told not to do. It's a brain thing.

I have to disagree with jw what cramped means. The road that leads to God is not obedience to sinlessness. Does it not mean being aware of the very many false reasonings and lofty things that it is a truth seekers occupation to overturn? It's not a road cramped with ones own righteousness. It is cramped with things to be overturned.

2 Corinthians 10:5

overthrowing reasonings and every high thing that lifts itself up against the knowledge of God, and leading captive every thought into the obedience of the Christ;

Me Myself

Back to my username
The road is inward.

For each person, this road takes different forms, and truly, the road of self knowledge is the least traveled (at least with serious commitment) . It is also one that is cramped as Jesus said.

It is still different for each person though.

In the end of the self, we find God.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I believe one could presume, but if they put the effort in to learn every utterance of God like Jesus said men needed to live by, they can find the 1 religion that has truth.

Unless, of course, those supposed utterances of that supposed god are all made up in an attempt to lead people astray and down a completely false path. In which case they don't find the one religion that has truth, but guaranteed falsehood.

Point is, you simply don't know that what you believe is the one and only "truth". In fact, you don't know there even is a one and only "truth" that anyone has a grasp on yet. The best any of us can do is to follow the path that suits each of us the best and fulfills us in our spiritual lives. To presume that the same path should suit all people is just absurd. Odd as this may sound, I've often compared religion to a pair of jeans. The same pair is not going to fit everyone. What may look just fine on you may fit me horrendously. It may be baggy and hang off my butt and bunch in places that make it uncomfortable. Likewise, a pair that looks great on me might split you where the sun don't shine and be highwater to boot. Now, as great as you think yours are, why on earth would I want to wear them when yours are so bad on me and mine are perfectly suited to me? Now apply this to religion.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is the question wrong? I think the question should be will The Life Giver travel all roads a person might take to be beside you.

To me God means to guide. I am not going TO God I hope to be going with God.

So my road doesn't lead to God it leads to God's Will be done. Which is way more than one thing and it is accomplished along the way I hope.

Straw Dog

Wonder if there's such a thing as an in-dependency disorder.

Yeah, it's called libertarianism haha.

Seriously though, perhaps the roads metaphor could be looked at in this way. We still need to look at where we've all come from (God, singularity, etc.) in order to understand and figure out where we're going. Every road is dependent upon its beginning and it's up to us to forge our way forward through our independence. It could be said that God doesn't want people to remain children forever, but mature and cultivate their independence and responsibility. Of course, I'm trying to go off the kind of deity said to be a person. This would certainly explain his apparent absence in world affairs.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, it's called libertarianism haha.

Seriously though, perhaps the roads metaphor could be looked at in this way. We still need to look at where we've all come from (God, singularity, etc.) in order to understand and figure out where we're going. Every road is dependent upon its beginning and it's up to us to forge our way forward through our independence. It could be said that God doesn't want people to remain children forever, but mature and cultivate their independence and responsibility. Of course, I'm trying to go off the kind of deity said to be a person. This would certainly explain his apparent absence in world affairs.

I suspect a lot of the above myself. Only difference is that I believe God is more involved (usually secretly) with us and the world: sometimes as a lifeguard, sometimes as a coach (but I don't think He's into playing babysitter).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I suspect a lot of the above myself. Only difference is that I believe God is more involved (usually secretly) with us and the world: sometimes as a lifeguard, sometimes as a coach (but I don't think He's into playing babysitter).

Just nudge humanity in the right direction from time to time?

Leaves us to our best guess about what is going on behind the scenes.

Some get certain about their knowledge about what is going on behind the curtains and want to share/enforce it on the rest of us.

Problem is I'm not so sure about their ability to justify that knowledge they are so certain about. False prophets and all that. But I suspect no "prophet" assumes themselves to be among the false ones.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just nudge humanity in the right direction from time to time?

And occasionally throw a few things in front of us to trip over to teach us to watch where we're going. :D

Leaves us to our best guess about what is going on behind the scenes.

Which is really just daydreaming. Another thing that keeps people from watching where they're going.

Some get certain about their knowledge about what is going on behind the curtains and want to share/enforce it on the rest of us.

They're probably just looking for other people to take point for them.

Problem is I'm not so sure about their ability to justify that knowledge they are so certain about. False prophets and all that. But I suspect no "prophet" assumes themselves to be among the false ones.

Those people are usually pretty easy to spot: they aren't actually going anywhere. Usually they're just sitting on the side of the road in the rubbish, thinking they've reached their destination, and throwing cans at anybody who tries to point out to them that the mountain they think they're sitting on is actually a rubbish pile.

Straw Dog

Those people are usually pretty easy to spot: they aren't actually going anywhere. Usually they're just sitting on the side of the road in the rubbish, thinking they've reached their destination, and throwing cans at anybody who tries to point out to them that the mountain they think they're sitting on is actually a rubbish pile.

Has anyone reached the top of the mountain? If so, are they positive that there isn't an entire mountain range beyond it to explore? And beyond that an endless ocean? Is there a beginning and ending to the journey?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Has anyone reached the top of the mountain?

I'm guessing there are a lot of mountains, and the veiw probably looks different from each one.

If so, are they positive that there isn't an entire mountain range beyond it to explore?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that turned out to be the case. In fact I would be surprised if it didn't.

And beyond that an endless ocean? Is there a beginning and ending to the journey?

I think every step is a beginning. And if there's an end, it's probably so distant that for the time being, it's none of our business.