• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divination Methods

What methods of Divination do you or have you used?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yuvgotmel

What forms of divination have you practiced?

What drew you towards those particular methods?

How effective have they been?

What method has been the most effective?

I have been thinking of starting a new book on Divination, and I'm really interested in your thoughts. Thanx.

Aristotle points out, ..."an acute mind will perceive resemblances in things far apart." ...The purely rational and logical thought processes do not lead to brilliant "connections." The non-rational or irrational capacities of the psyche can and should be harnessed for creative growth and insight. Since cause and effect are logical and rational, the only way to get a glimpse of the future is by circumventing that route.

"Oracles of the Dead: Ancient Techniques for Predicting the Future" by Robert Temple, pp. 130~131

Booko

Deviled Hen
I've done a very little study of astrology and a little more of tarot, but I've spent more time overall on numerology.

(In fact, I just got a copy of Vol. 1 of Goodwin, though his focus is modern numerology.)

It's not that I'm particularly interested in the divination aspect, but it's been useful in the study of several religions that I've done. It doesn't even matter, in that context, whether any of those methods are "true" or not -- the people in those times believed they were valid.

Hm...is graphoanalysis considered a divination method?

I've not found astrology of much personal use, as I don't know my time of birth. That's pretty limiting. For numerology, all you need is the date of birth, and I do know that.

Tarot has been interesting, because even if you don't "believe" it's valid, it still focuses the mind in a way that tends to tune out other distractions. I find the symbolism to be quite fascinating (and related to numerology much of the time).

Some people use kinesiology as a divination method. I think there's even a video on youtube of someone doing that. I don't use it that way, myself.

yuvgotmel

Booko said:
I've done a very little study of astrology and a little more of tarot, but I've spent more time overall on numerology.

(In fact, I just got a copy of Vol. 1 of Goodwin, though his focus is modern numerology.)

It's not that I'm particularly interested in the divination aspect, but it's been useful in the study of several religions that I've done. It doesn't even matter, in that context, whether any of those methods are "true" or not -- the people in those times believed they were valid.

Hm...is graphoanalysis considered a divination method?

I'm not personally familiar with graphoanalysis, but the sound it rings like divination. I should have included numerology too. Thanx for mentioning it. Throughout this thread, I hope that I can start to talk a bit more about various divination practices...and attempt to possibly even teach something that I learned how to do. (I just can't remember the official name for it! It's really old.)

Booko

Deviled Hen
yuvgotmel said:
I'm not personally familiar with graphoanalysis, but the sound it rings like divination.

I thought it might be. I've done graphoanalysis for years, and it's kept me out of trouble on several occasions. It's really...kinda...easy...to spot someone who's just...sociopathic. I've steered clear of people on 3 different occasions, and not been proved wrong yet.

When my husband was teaching college, I did graphoanalysis on all of his student's first essays. I couldn't see the name, so there was no influence there. I did my analyses and put them in a sealed envelope and he opened them up at the end of the semester and was really amazed at how his students' personalities and ability in that class were well predicted by the readings I'd done.

What he doesn't know is that I analyzed several of his handwriting samples before I'd consent to marry him. ;) I like to know someone is going to be emotionally compatible, if nothing else.

I should have included numerology too. Thanx for mentioning it.

It doesn't seem to be really popular these days. I'm not sure why. A lot of the recent books out there are really...fluffy.

Throughout this thread, I hope that I can start to talk a bit more about various divination practices...and attempt to possibly even teach something that I learned how to do. (I just can't remember the official name for it! It's really old.)

Describe it! Maybe one of us will recognize it and remember the name.

My grandmother used to use a divination method that used the Bible. I think James mentioned the Orthodox Church forbids using the Bible in this way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the RCC did either, but she was a Protestant with some pretty folkish ways, so I doubt she would've realized anyone thought there was anything bad in it.

There's a particular name for this, a Greek name, but I can't remember that either. The only English term I know is Bibliomancy, though that can refer to any sacred text and not just the Bible.

PureX

Veteran Member
yuvgotmel said:
The I-Ching, and playing cards.
yuvgotmel said:
I believed that they worked.
yuvgotmel said:
The I-Ching was frighteningly effective. I ended up becoming obsessed with it - addicted to it, really, and it finally cut me off, and refused to respond for 10 years. After I got that message, it would not speak of the future, and would only reflect my own state back at me. After ten years had passed, I was of course long over my absession with it, and only used it once a year on New Years Eve. But I haven't done even that in a couple of years now. I no longer feel any need to peer into the future.

My use of playing cards happened when the I-Ching shut me down. Mostly they didn't work, but they helped me to slowly get over my addiction/obsession with "oracles".
yuvgotmel said:
As I said, the I-Ching was phenominally effective. I learned a great deal from it over a couple of years, even though I did become obsessed with it. It helped to teach me how to calm down and have faith in life, when I was in early recovery. I'm very grateful for my experience with it.
yuvgotmel said:
I have been thinking of starting a new book on Divination, and I'm really interested in your thoughts. Thanx.
You're welcome.

PureX

Veteran Member
Booko said:

One of the best books I'd ever come across as an artist was a book on numerology. I was not interested in divination at that time, but the book's interpretations of numbers were an excellent dissertation on the conceptual foundation of numbers, and how they are based in the relationships between "objects". A whole new understanding of the mechanics of visual art opened up for me by reading that book.

Booko

Deviled Hen
PureX said:
One of the best books I'd ever come across as an artist was a book on numerology. I was not interested in divination at that time, but the book's interpretations of numbers were an excellent dissertation on the conceptual foundation of numbers, and how they are based in the relationships between "objects". A whole new understanding of the mechanics of visual art opened up for me by reading that book.

I've probably been more interested in numerology just because of my interest in mathematics generally.

Do you remember the author's name?

I remember reading a book full of historical information in my hometown's public library, but can't recall the author after all these years. It must've been a very old book, since I found it in the basement among the books not being circulated.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
yuvgotmel said:

Predominantly during my teens thru early 20s I invesitgated pretty much everything on your list and several that are not, such as ouija boards (and similar devices), feng shui, numerology, palmistry, tea-leaf reading, aura readings, dowsing, rune-casting, hand-writing analysis, dream analysis... I've never looked at weather patterns or animal behavior (tho I did once notice the squirrels acting very strangely shortly before an earthquake). Nor have I ever looked at animal entrails. :cover:

But currently I have no interest in divination. At least, I have no interest in trying to foretell the future or contacting "other-worldly" entities or such. Perhaps they work, perhaps they don't. But I do not see them as promoting spiritual deepening or growth.

I still use the Tarot and the I-ching on a regular basis. But like Kay, it is for self-reflective purposes only. In particular, I find a Jungian interpretation of the Tarot archetypes to be very useful. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
lilithu said:
Nor have I ever looked at animal entrails.
Erm...I have, but it was a part of a Home Ec class. :eek:

I still use the Tarot and the I-ching on a regular basis. But like Kay, it is for self-reflective purposes only. In particular, I find a Jungian interpretation of the Tarot archetypes to be very useful. :)
I've never been into the future-telling aspect of divination. I've no idea why. Maybe I'm just not a fan of fatalism, which often is the result. :shrug:

Jung is useful for symbolism in apocalyptic writings as well. Ah, but here goes that silly bird derailing yet another thread. :sorry1:

Did you do much with graphoanalysis? I can't think offhand of any application in terms of fortune-telling, but it does have its uses in outlining character traits and tendencies.

The French would probably claim it's more scientific than a method of divination, which perhaps it is, but the uses are often quite similar.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Booko said:
Did you do much with graphoanalysis? I can't think offhand of any application in terms of fortune-telling, but it does have its uses in outlining character traits and tendencies.

The French would probably claim it's more scientific than a method of divination, which perhaps it is, but the uses are often quite similar.
One of the more interesting arguments that Anton LaVey made in "The Satanic Bible" is that if you really want to understand a person, hand-writing analysis made a lot more sense than looking at the affects of massive planets that are hundreds of thousands to millions of miles away. Made sense to me. I'd say that LaVey's use for graphoanalysis wasn't so much fortune-telling. Like you (and me) he rejects fatalism. But it still has predictive qualities in that if you know what a person is like, you will better be able to predict how they'll behave.

I didn't do much with it, except to test it to see if it indeed works (and it seems to). (It is more pyschology than anything else.) The idea of understanding people so that you can manipulate them to your will held a morbid fascination for me, but ultimately it wasn't something that I wanted to pursue.

Booko

Deviled Hen
lilithu said:
One of the more interesting arguments that Anton LaVey made in "The Satanic Bible" is that if you really want to understand a person, hand-writing analysis made a lot more sense than looking at the affects of massive planets that are hundreds of thousands to millions of miles away. Made sense to me. I'd say that LaVey's use for graphoanalysis wasn't so much fortune-telling. Like you (and me) he rejects fatalism. But it still has predictive qualities in that if you know what a person is like, you will better be able to predict how they'll behave.

It's been so long since I read LaVey. I don't remember that argument except vaguely.

I didn't do much with it, except to test it to see if it indeed works (and it seems to). (It is more pyschology than anything else.)

Any decent graphoanalyst will tell you that no trait means anything by itself. Much caution is required to do a decent job of it. When there is some trait present that I can't confirm in other areas as well, I let it slide. And any analyses I do tend to be written in very positive terms. Anything else seems to create some pretty bad karma.

The idea of understanding people so that you can manipulate them to your will held a morbid fascination for me, but ultimately it wasn't something that I wanted to pursue.

I wasn't keen on that part myself. I was more interested in learning how to avoid pushing people's "hot buttons" so I could work with them more effectively. And yeah, in those few cases, learning who I need to steer clear of.

yuvgotmel

I did some searching. It took me a while, especially since I've been working a lot too, but I finally found the term for the method of divination that I use daily. I see the world as an interactive landscape, as did the ancient Greeks.

The term that I was looking for is "cledonomancy."

I found an excellent article on it: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:eIxrhhIP7n8J:www.duke.edu/web/classics/grbs/FTexts/45/Lateiner.pdf+cledonomancy&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=us

By the way, Booko, you mentioned "Bibliomancy." Until you said that term, I had never knew it had an official term. My grandmother used to do that. In my family a hand-made book has been passed down for many generations (from Germany, since before coming to America) containing hand-written spells, of which, most of them use Bibliomancy.

BFD_Zayl

i chose other, since necromancy was not on the list, i also do a bit of crystal scrying and pendulum work, it has been extremley effective, i have an affinity for necromantic workings, rather than scrying or pendulums.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm pretty good with my runes and tarot cards, so I've been told :) I've also done some scrying and astrology is very interesting.

yuvgotmel

Thank you all who have responded so far. I apologize for not being able to be more active in thread, however, I have been working long hours lately.

I have been pretty surprised to see the amount of people that have or still do use Tarot cards and other means of divination. I am now also wondering how often are these methods employed?

For me, the practice of cledonomancy (I now know the term!) is a daily thing. In fact, it is, for me, a way of life and a way of perceiving my interactive world. I do not have to do much of anything except pay attention to the world around me and listen more than speak. Tarot cards and other methods are less common, for me, to use. They are cumbersome and I have to take the time to do such things. Cledonomancy requires no special tools and the ability to believe that the world around me is effectively speaking to me at all times.:D

What about you all... How often do you divine?

BFD_Zayl

to each his own, i prefer necromancy due to its results, not to say cledonomancy does not have extremley accurate results, what i'm saying is, to me, reading the results of necromancy is much much easier. and i do minor divinations 3-4 times a week, major conjurations i might..MIGHT...do monthly