• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discrimination in Jewish congregations?

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
I have a question since a very long time and I haven't been able to find an answer on it. There are many answers about similar things but not on the specific question I have. I wonder whether it's common to discriminate people who wish to convert to Judaism? I have read that it might exists in some congregations worldwide where people who have already converted have been mistreated and maybe even discriminated.

In my case, I contacted a Jewish congregation (there are three in the entire country which belongs to a centralized organization) closest to where I lived in 2010. Later that year I moved to the city where one of them exists. I thought it was strange when they said I could meet the chazzan (not the rabbi) for this kind of conversation. A conversation about conversion with the chazzan was not what I expected. But the meeting itself went well.

Due to high security they demanded many documents from me such as showing if I have any criminal records. I didn't mind doing it since I have no criminal records. But even before the meeting took place, it was earlier the same year I contacted them for the first time and asking if I could visit the synagogue. They said yes, but when I arrived they denied me without telling me why. After the meeting it took another few months. I contacted them and asking them why they took so long time.

They called me and were really rude for no reason. It was their security guard who called me. Except bad behavior he also called me a Nazi. He was clearly mentally unstable. It ended that I was denied to convert but were also banned from the Jewish community. That ban made me being banned from the other Jewish congregations in the country too.

To make this long story short. I kept asking them several times a year for six years. I moved to a different part of the country and lived closer to another congregation. They denied me because of my ban. I kept asking them for a long time because they didn't wanted to tell me because they claimed I already knew why. If I knew I wouldn't be asking. Finally they answered me. Apparently I'm "too Zionist" whatever that means.

The Jewish community in my country are united so Reforms, Conservatives and Orthodoxs are within the same congregations. I wants to convert Orthodox. It's strange it took six years to get an answer about this. I even tried to convert in the neighboring country since it was close to me from where I lived before I left my country. But they denied me because of geographical reasons which is more understandable.

Are there any others who have been denied and banned for similar reasons? I don't mean the tradition to be denied three times by a rabbi.

Akivah

I have a question since a very long time and I haven't been able to find an answer on it. There are many answers about similar things but not on the specific question I have. I wonder whether it's common to discriminate people who wish to convert to Judaism? I have read that it might exists in some congregations worldwide where people who have already converted have been mistreated and maybe even discriminated.

In my case, I contacted a Jewish congregation (there are three in the entire country which belongs to a centralized organization) closest to where I lived in 2010. Later that year I moved to the city where one of them exists. I thought it was strange when they said I could meet the chazzan (not the rabbi) for this kind of conversation. A conversation about conversion with the chazzan was not what I expected. But the meeting itself went well.

I've never heard of any such thing. It might be due to the widespread anti-Semitism in Sweden that they are being extremely cautious.
Antisemitism in Sweden - Wikipedia

Akivah

The Jewish congregations tend to invite antisemites while mistreat people who are friendly to them. The same congregation mistreated a Holocaust survivor I knew.

Yeah, anyone can make up outlandish stories about anyone. I don't believe yours.

Alea iacta est

Please cite the evidence that you believe should inform our understanding.

There are very limited information in English. Here are several examples in one article.

Ibn Rushd is well known for its Antisemitism. Archbishop Jackelén is both a well known Communist and an antisemite (she was a DDR agent in her youth). Prime Minister Löfven is an antisemite and his party as well (they are very close friends with Palestinian terror groups etc which they are very proud of).

Muslim leaders visit synagogue in show of solidarity after 'firebombing'

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Archbishop Jackelén is both a well known Communist and an antisemite (she was a DDR agent in her youth).

My wife and I were privileged to enjoy dinner with Jackelén and her husband just prior to her speaking at our synagogue. Do you have evidence for this pathetic slander?

Flankerl

There are very limited information in English. Here are several examples in one article.

Ibn Rushd is well known for its Antisemitism. Archbishop Jackelén is both a well known Communist and an antisemite (she was a DDR agent in her youth). Prime Minister Löfven is an antisemite and his party as well (they are very close friends with Palestinian terror groups etc which they are very proud of).

Muslim leaders visit synagogue in show of solidarity after 'firebombing'

That's not the part people find hard to accept.

Apparently I'm "too Zionist" whatever that means.

This is.
While we Jews usually keep a low profile we speak honestly with each other and are overwhelmingly in one way or another supportive of the State of Israel.
What you wrote doesn't fit.

Alea iacta est

Alea iacta est

That's not the part people find hard to accept.

This is.
While we Jews usually keep a low profile we speak honestly with each other and are overwhelmingly in one way or another supportive of the State of Israel.
What you wrote doesn't fit.

I'm for that Israel has full rights to exist. I don't see the controversy with this.