• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

disbelief in the pews (but not the pulpit)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I am a member of a Christian congregation

But I myself am not Christian, I do not attach such a label to myself

Everyone at my church knows this and are totally cool with it

And one of the elders told me I am much more Christian than I think I am!

I don't believe there was an historical Jesus, never mind that he rose from the dead and ascended up to Heaven, etc. although I do (in a roundabout way) believe in a Supreme Being and I like the biblical Jesus

Within my church, this is totally fine, it is a theologically liberal congregation which has recently voted to allow same-sex marriages - they are more welcoming than perhaps some other congregations I can think of would be...

They are tolerant of my somewhat bizarre beliefs and to be honest I've never really talked about them much but if asked I do bring them up

I was going to do the worship leader training in my denomination, with a view to eventually becoming a lay preacher - I received some encouragement to do this from various people

But I then realised that it would be inappropriate for me to lead Christian worship if I myself am not a Christian

Because that is what the whole point of the church is - to be a Christian presence in the local community

So I promptly withdrew myself from the training

It's OK not believing in the pews but it is an entirely different matter not believing in the pulpit

That would be hypocrisy

PureX

Veteran Member
It's OK not believing in the pews but it is an entirely different matter not believing in the pulpit

That would be hypocrisy
You make a good point. But I might offer a slightly different way of understanding the situation.

To my way of thinking, the purpose of religion is to offer it's adherents a set of useful tools that they can use to help them live their lives in accordance with their chosen theological perspective. That it is not necessarily religion's job to dictate or shape a person's theological perspective, but rather to help enable it in terms of life action once it's been chosen, and to help one determine their own choice if it has not yet been made.

I realize that very few religious organizations recognize this spiritual service to others as being their primary purpose, but it sounds as if you might might be the fortunate member of one that does. And if that is the case, you would be welcome to serve as a worship or spiritual leader so long as you are acting to serve the spiritual path of your fellow member, and not trying to promote your own theological choices as something that they should follow. (And I don't see you doing that.) So if you want to take on the burden of such spiritual service to others, I don't think you have anything at all to feel hypocritical about. And it doesn't sound as if anyone else would think so, either.

... Just my 2 cents.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You make a good point. But I might offer a slightly different way of understanding the situation.

To my way of thinking, the purpose of religion is to offer it's adherents a set of useful tools that they can use to help them live their lives in accordance with their chosen theological perspective. That it is not necessarily religion's job to dictate or shape a person's theological perspective, but rather to help enable it in terms of life action once it's been chosen, and to help one determine their own choice if it has not yet been made.

I realize that very few religious organizations recognize this spiritual service to others as being their primary purpose, but it sounds as if you might might be the fortunate member of one that does. And if that is the case, you would be welcome to serve as a worship or spiritual leader so long as you are acting to serve the spiritual path of your fellow member, and not trying to promote your own theological choices as something that they should follow. (And I don't see you doing that.) So if you want to take on the burden of such spiritual service to others, I don't think you have anything at all to feel hypocritical about. And it doesn't sound as if anyone else would think so, either.

... Just my 2 cents.
That's a really interesting perspective, thanks very much for sharing :)

However it would not feel right to me to lead believers in worship if I did not share their beliefs

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I don't believe there was an historical Jesus, never mind that he rose from the dead and ascended up to Heaven, etc. although I do (in a roundabout way) believe in a Supreme Being and I like the biblical Jesus

Within my church, this is totally fine, it is a theologically liberal congregation which has recently voted to allow same-sex marriages - they are more welcoming than perhaps some other congregations I can think of would be...

They are tolerant of my somewhat bizarre beliefs and to be honest I've never really talked about them much but if asked I do bring them up

I was going to do the worship leader training in my denomination, with a view to eventually becoming a lay preacher - I received some encouragement to do this from various people

But I then realised that it would be inappropriate for me to lead Christian worship if I myself am not a Christian

Because that is what the whole point of the church is - to be a Christian presence in the local community

So I promptly withdrew myself from the training

That would be hypocrisy
" pews"

But one didn't mention as to what is one's complaint about the "pews", please. Right?

Regards

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's a really interesting perspective, thanks very much for sharing :)

However it would not feel right to me to lead believers in worship if I did not share their beliefs
I think honesty is certainly a good idea, but there are religious traditions (e.g. the UUs) where the worship leader isn't expected to share beliefs with the parishoners.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

This is not as unusual as you might think, and many in our Catholic parish are much the same as I was for 20 years.