• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disarming the Police. Would it work?

Suave

Simulated character
SWAT is the only aspect of a police force that ought to be militarized. Only for the most dangerous situations.

I like Norways system. Police only have weapons available in their patrol cars if needed but are generally unarmed.
Norway also has a decent legal justice system where nobody can be sentence to more than 21 years imprisonment. Also, their prisons treat everybody with dignity and respect. [edit] *The prison guards are mostly unarmed and they often socially interact with inmates during meals or recreational activities. *Norwegian inmates get job training, and well-educated so that they are far less likely to be criminal re-offenders.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Norway also has a decent legal system where nobody can be sentence to more than 21 years imprisonment. Also, their prisons treat everybody with dignity and respect. Norwegian inmates get job training, and well-educated so that they are far less likely to be criminal reoffenders.
Does that include serial killers?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, Anders Behring Breivik, who was convicted of slaughtering 77 people during his bombing and mass sooting rampage in 2011, will be released from prison no later than 2032.
That is a bit scary. Serial killers do not do so because they are poor, uneducated, or untrained. I do not think the Norwegian penal system can correct that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Let us please agree there should be no direct interaction between systemically racist white privileged human police officers and traffic violaters. I've reimagined policing whereby unarmed robotic traffic enforcers would issue traffic citations during traffic stops. Also, surveillance cameras and drones would identify traffic law offenders who would subsequently receive traffic tickets by mail. I m guessing the cost of a robotic cip is approximately $150,000 in addition to the cost of her human companion supporting police officer. I suspect traffic fines might have to be doubled for us to have the privilege of being served by unarmed robocops. However, if each robotic cop on average during her service life were to save one life from serious harm or death from a dangerous traffic stop, we would gladly pay twice as much as we do now for getting a traffic violation ticket.
I tend to view these automated systems as money grabs. A lot are strategicly vauge, not placed or made visible and are prone to even more abuse.

RestlessSoul

Police in the UK are not generally armed. But then neither are the public.

In 2011 police in Tottenham, London, shot and killed a known criminal, who they had been tailing as part of an ongoing operation. There was some ambiguity about whether the guy was armed or not when he was stopped and killed; a weapon was found thirty yards or so from Mark Duggan's body. The killing led to several days of rioting up and down the country. In comparison, I would say the response of inner city communities in the USA, when yet another unarmed black man is shot and killed by police, looks markedly restrained.

Suave

Simulated character
I tend to view these automated systems as money grabs. A lot are strategicly vauge, not placed or made visible and are prone to even more abuse.
If me a white privilege person paying a few hundred dollars were to manage saving a colorfully skinned person's life, then I'd consider this to be well worth the price.

Suave

Simulated character
That is a bit scary. Serial killers do not do so because they are poor, uneducated, or untrained. I do not think the Norwegian penal system can correct that.
I dunno, Norway's homicide rate is around 10 times lower than the U. S. Homicide rate.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So far no one has shown they read the web site which said something that is much more nuanced than the extreme headline:

We are advocating that police forces curtail their initial use of deadly force when dealing with the public. Deadly force should be available to police when the need arises, but only after non-lethal remedies have been exhausted.
According to the FBI, in 50% of murders of American police officers, the officers did not have time to even draw their gun. This is because the initiative always lies with the attacker; they can strike first before the officer can react. Simply arming officers doesn't protect them. If anything, arming front-line officers increases their risk.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I dunno, Norway's homicide rate is around 10 times lower than the U. S. Homicide rate.

Serial killers are the exception, they are not the rule. Norway may have as high of a per capita of those as the U.S.. Hmm. Google search time. I wonder if counties keep records of this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hmm, interesting The U.S. has more serial killers than any other country, but that may be partially due to better record keeping.

Why Are There More Serial Killers in the U.S. Than Any Other Country?

Tell us a little about your research on serial killers.
We found over 5,000 people so far [around the world] who were confirmed serial killers and who committed two or more homicides on two or more separate occasions. We’ve looked at them in terms of race, gender, methods and the country where they committed their murders.

In your research, you found that the U.S. produces the most serial killers worldwide. Why is that?
My theory is the U.S. really doesn’t have a disproportionate number of serial killers. Instead, it’s just much easier to find serial killers here than it is in other countries.

First, law enforcement has to discover the murders and link them back to the same killer. That means you need competent law-enforcement agencies, which the U.S. has. The second part of being able to track serial killers is once the killer is identified, it has to be announced by law enforcement and made available in prison records. The information has to be available to the public.

In the United States, we have much more open records than other countries do. If the U.S. had a higher murder rate than the rest of the world, I would be more likely to believe that we have more serial killers, too. But compared to other countries in terms of the murder rate we’re right around the middle.

In the above excerpt they defined a serial killer as someone that killed at least two different people on two different occasions. When I think serial killer I think of someone that killed at least five people. At any rate the U.S at least did not have the worst serial killer ever. That dubious honor goes to England.

We Never Know

No Slack
Hmm, interesting The U.S. has more serial killers than any other country, but that may be partially due to better record keeping.

We found over 5,000 people so far [around the world] who were confirmed serial killers and who committed two or more homicides on two or more separate occasions. We’ve looked at them in terms of race, gender, methods and the country where they committed their murders.

In your research, you found that the U.S. produces the most serial killers worldwide. Why is that?
My theory is the U.S. really doesn’t have a disproportionate number of serial killers. Instead, it’s just much easier to find serial killers here than it is in other countries.

First, law enforcement has to discover the murders and link them back to the same killer. That means you need competent law-enforcement agencies, which the U.S. has. The second part of being able to track serial killers is once the killer is identified, it has to be announced by law enforcement and made available in prison records. The information has to be available to the public.

In the United States, we have much more open records than other countries do. If the U.S. had a higher murder rate than the rest of the world, I would be more likely to believe that we have more serial killers, too. But compared to other countries in terms of the murder rate we’re right around the middle.

In the above excerpt they defined a serial killer as someone that killed at least two different people on two different occasions. When I think serial killer I think of someone that killed at least five people. At any rate the U.S at least did not have the worst serial killer ever. That dubious honor goes to England.

And this one...

The United States has 3 times more serial killers per capita than any other country in the world and has produced 67.58% of known serial killers. There are so many different types of serial killers that there really isn’t a one-size-fits-all profile. Serial killers are often distraught people who kill others one by one for gratification or some specific motives in a pattern. An FBI agent, Robert K. Ressler coined the term "serial killer." Generally, no particular factor motivates a serial killer to kill. Killers will sometimes get a sense of happiness or satisfaction after killings. A history of childhood abuse, cultural conditioning, and uncaring relationships with parents are some of the strong factors that play a great role in turning a person into a serial killer. While some kill people who are of a specific gender or age, some choose their victims precisely based on a particular personality trait or profession. Others may kill at random, opportunistically.

Why Does The US Have More Serial Killers Than Any Other Place In The World?
The USA has a staggering figure of 3,204 serial killers. That is approximately 19 times more serial killers than the next country on list England. In the US, serial killers are mostly White (73%), with a large minority of Black(22%), and some Hispanic(3%), with an average age of 33.44 years. The most common method used by serial killers in the US is shooting, strangulation, poisoning, and stabbing. Some of the notable serial killers in the US are David Berkowitz, Edmund Kemper, Larry Bittaker and Roy Norris. Of these, David Berkowitz shot six people and wounded seven others while Edmund Kemper killed more than eight people including his grandparents and mother.

Some people theorize that the United States has better record-keeping than some other countries and law enforcement agencies are better at linking murders together. This does hold true for countries like Russia or China in fact, they often do not report them at all unless word somehow gets out to the western press. In Europe, you may also get underreporting because serial killers could be active in multiple countries, and communication between law enforcement between countries is far weaker than internally in a country. However, when compared to Canada or Australia on a per capita basis this actually holds less weight, and the United States has 3 times more serial killers per capita. While this explanation has some merit it's also a traditional political response by American politicians in regards to negative statistics that they are just better at gathering the data.

Media saturates coverage when a serial killer is found or a mass killing occurs. Violence sells. While the average consumer sees it, we are shocked, horrified, weep for the families of the victims and the victims themselves but a few see it and think "cool". The more media obsess about past killers the more likely it is to breed future ones.

England with 166 serial killers and South Africa with 117 serial killers are at the second and third position globally. In England, the worst serial killer in history is a woman serial killer, Angel Maker. She killed nearly 400 babies in the 19th century under the impression of running foster care for children born to unwed mothers. Moses Sithole has the reputation of being one of the most brutal serial killers of South Africa. He committed 38 murders and 40 rapes.

The Future
Serial killers are conscience-deprived people who draw pleasure by killing others using a particular modus operandi. It is difficult to identify such people as from their exterior appearance they seem quite harmless and kind. No surprises, there are still many unsolved cases of serial murders, and this means many serial killers are at present roaming freely being unsuspected across the world. However, it is also true that digitization of criminal records and better investigation technologies are helping the investigation officers to detect the pattern of killing used in different murders and establish whether a crime is the job of a serial killer or not. As a disturbed childhood is quite common in the profile of such killers, it is important to make sure every child is receiving love and care from his or her caregivers at home.

Countries That Have Produced The Most Serial Killers - WorldAtlas

Suave

Simulated character
Serial killers are the exception, they are not the rule. Norway may have as high of a per capita of those as the U.S.. Hmm. Google search time. I wonder if counties keep records of this.

I'm unaware of Norway having any convicted serial killers who have committed mass murder again after serving at least some few years at a Norwegian correctional facility. I will have to research this.

PureX

Veteran Member
How about disarming most of them, and having them address common traffic and nuisance calls, while still having a few armed response teams for the serious crimes. Citizens being killed by cops because of a traffic stop is insane, and clearly indicates that the cops are not being trained to carry firearms and to use deadly force properly. The special armed teams should be especially trained for that task and should not interact with the public on routine calls.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm unaware of Norway having any convicted serial killers who have committed mass murder again after serving at least some few years at a Norwegian correctional facility. I will have to research this.
A serial killer is not the same as a mass murderer. A mass murderer usually kills a bunch of people in one event. A serial killer kills again and again. For example Gary Ridgway:

Gary Ridgway - Wikipedia

Fortynine convictions and who knows how many more. One at a time over a period of almost ten years. If still alive after 21 years such a person would kill again.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not always. Police killed a guy in the ER at a hospital here on Monday who had a gun, and people are protesting that. :rolleyes:
Sometimes I wonder if the gun is the real source of the issue. Maybe the answer lays with alternative ammo. Say Ketamine for humans? No one is going to dodge that and the officer dosent even need to be an expert shot. Unlike a tazer, it could hold a number of rounds in events of multiple people and guaranteed to bring down the bad folks fairly quick without lethality.

It would be ideal for general stops that go awry.