• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

different sects in Islam

i observed from the DIR that there are several sects in Islam, sunni, sufi,.... so how each sect followers look to the other sect's followers? do they consider them as Muslims too? or level 2 muslims?or what....?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
i observed from the DIR that there are several sects in Islam, sunni, sufi,.... so how each sect followers look to the other sect's followers? do they consider them as Muslims too? or level 2 muslims?or what....?

Sects of Islam is what the prophet prophesied it to happen even though that he warned that all of them will be in the wrong way.

Islam should be as simple as submitting oneself to the creator and doing good deeds and avoiding the bad ones.

I myself don't follow any sect, i just believe that God does exist, i believe Muhammed was the last prophet and i believe that Jesus will return once again to earth.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Isn't it also necessary to, if not read, at least accept the Quran as the immutable Word of God's word and Mohammad as his final Prophet?

Any comments on why so many people end up becoming Shias, Sunnis or members of other Muslim subgroups if there is a warning that they will all be wrong?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Can anyone explain why islamics all read the same Bible, try to follow Allah, yet thousand are dubbed extremists that have no issue with emposing Sharia law
anywhere, to any one, everyplace on the planet and murder with reckless abandon?
Islamics even put to death other islamcis for being the "wrong kind" or from other tribes of the "right kind"?
This kind of brutality has been ongoing for 1400 years. I don't understand that.
Yes, I know Chrisianity under the Roman Chruch comitted horrible brutality in
centuries past. The key words are centuries past.
Apparently many of the Abrahamic Faith quit mudering one another long ago.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Anyone who says he believe in God and Muhammad is a muslim.

Of course you are also supposed to believe in many other things like the angels, day of judgment, all the prophets, the other revelations ... or you'll be not really a muslim.

But basically you are muslim if you just say the chahada.
Concerning the sects, like it was said the prophet Muhammad (saw) already said we'll be divided in many sects but nobody think he is in a sect.

As a sunni i don't believe i'm in a sect as "sunni" only mean that we follow the sunna of the Prophet (plus the Quran as first source).
Shias also follow the sunna of the Prophet, we just disagree in some hadiths and rules but we believe generally in the same things.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Can anyone explain why islamics all read the same Bible, try to follow Allah, yet thousand are dubbed extremists that have no issue with emposing Sharia law
anywhere, to any one, everyplace on the planet and murder with reckless abandon?

Apparently many of the Abrahamic Faith quit mudering one another long ago.

This is a good question.
We need to have more information to understand what is in their mind.

I don't want to make a generalization but if we only take those who lived and grow up abroad (uk, usa, europe) many of them use to have problems in school, or were orphans, went in jail etc...

Then they met someone, an imam (or gourou i would say) and some go to dangerous countries and come back much more extremists.

I guess they want to be kind of "heroes" at least for the community maybe because they failed in their life and found a goal with the religion.
That's probably why they all have the same speeches : the offensive wars in the middle east, Palestine and now the caricatures.
They see all of it as a global war from the West against the muslims/Islam.
I think they maybe just want to die because they don't like this life anymore but as they can commit a suicide they need a goal. (just an hypothesis).

In Algeria, the terrorists came back from Afghanistan, and it's at this moment that they bring this ideology of "Jihad". But it was then against their own governement and the civilians.

From what it was said by the algerians witnesses at this time, many of those terrorists were under drugs and even insulted the religion.
In fact it's more complicated than this because it was proven that the algerian secret services were involved and they were the cause of the terrorist attacks in France.
But anyway there was a lot of convicted terrorists at that time, and until now they are fighting against the algerian army.

As for Isis and Al Quaida i don't know, they have an ideology that i don't understand.

Anyone who says he believe in God and Muhammad is a muslim.

Of course you are also supposed to believe in many other things like the angels, day of judgment, all the prophets, the other revelations ... or you'll be not really a muslim.

But basically you are muslim if you just say the chahada.
Concerning the sects, like it was said the prophet Muhammad (saw) already said we'll be divided in many sects but nobody think he is in a sect.

As a sunni i don't believe i'm in a sect as "sunni" only mean that we follow the sunna of the Prophet (plus the Quran as first source).
Shias also follow the sunna of the Prophet, we just disagree in some hadiths and rules but we believe generally in the same things.

but both of you are still called sects, if not why allover the history battles got fired between both sects followers

another question did Mohamed or any of his companions called himself sunni or shiete?, could a Muslim nowdays call himself just a Muslim?

As for Isis and Al Quaida i don't know, they have an ideology that i don't understand.
what i heard from some of my Muslim friends, that all of this groups want caliphate back, wonder what islam missed from collapsing the otthmanic empire? and why i don't notice turkey doing that much effort to restore the caliphate throne as those people want it to be?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A Muslims is just .... a Muslim and that's how he/she should identify himself/herself. I don't belong to any sect, so i'm just a Muslim. There are some differences which majority of Muslims shouldn't concern themselves with. It's about how scholars of any sect interpret Islamic teachings and Muslims will usually choose which interpretation they will stick to. Most of Muslims follow the sunni interpretation but at the end we are all Muslims and each sect has something to offer to the others.

Regarding Caliphate, nothing in the Quran nor Hadith says that we must establish a caliphate. If anyone has a political ambition they can go a head without claiming that Allah told them so.

Peace be upon you all.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
There is one sect "madhab" which is Islam ; the others human made

Which is the rope of Allah that is being referred to in this verse? It is the Glorious Qur’an. The Glorious Qur’an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ‘hold fast all together’ it also says, ‘be not divided’. Qur’an further says,

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger" [Al-Qur’an 4:59]

All the Muslim should follow the Qur’an and authentic Ahadith and be not divided among themselves.

2. It is Prohibited to make sects and divisions in Islam

The Glorious Qur’an says:

"As for those who divide Their religion and break up Into sects, thou hast No part in them in the least: Their affair is with Allah: He will in the end Tell them the truth Of all that they did." [Al-Qur’an 6:159]

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects. But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ‘I am a Sunni, or ‘I am a Shia’. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali. Some say ‘I am a Deobandi’, while some others say ‘I am a Barelvi’.

3. Our Prophet was a Muslim

One may ask such Muslims, "Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him. It is mentioned in chapter 3 verse 52 of Al-Qur’an that Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim. Further, in chapter 3 verse 67, Al-Qur’an says that Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

4. Qur’an says call yourselves Muslim

If anyone poses a Muslim the question who are you, he should say "I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi". Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verse 33 says "Who is better in speech Than one who calls (men) To Allah, works righteousness, And says, ‘I am of those Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?’ " [Al-Qur’an 41:33]

The Qur’an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".

The Prophet (pbuh) dictated letters to non-Muslim kings and rulers inviting them to accept Islam. In these letters he mentioned the verse of the Qur’an from Surah Ali Imran chapter 3 verse 64: Say ye:
"Bear witness That we (at least) Are Muslims (bowing To Allah’s Will)." [Al-Qur’an 3:64]

5. Respect all the Great Scholars of Islam

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ‘who are you?’, the reply should only be ‘I am a Muslim’.

Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects." This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur’an commands us not to create sects.

Those who follow the teachings of the Qur’an and Sahih Hadith, and do not create sects are the people who are on the true path.

According to Tirmidhi Hadith No. 171, the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My Ummah will be fragmented into seventy-three sects, and all of them will be in Hell fire except one sect." The companions asked Allah’s messenger which group that would be. Where upon he replied, "It is the one to which I and my companions belong." The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an and the Sahih Hadith. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an and Sahih Hadith. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

If only all Muslims read the Qur’an with understanding and adhere to Sahih Hadith, Inshallah most of these differences would be solved and we could be one united Muslim Ummah.