• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did The Old Testament Evolve Over Time?

faroukfarouk

My question relates to the present day OT.
Was there any additions or omissions from the Original Bible?
When i say "Original Bible" i mean that Bible from its very existence.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There is no such thing as "the Original Bible". It was and has been a "work in progress", sorta speak.

Much like with the Qu'ran, it is virtually impossible for us today to know exactly which narratives were recorded correctly, which are partially correct, and which are just imaginary fabrications.

metis

I've seen this movie before..... too many times...... and the remakes..... too many times.

So, if you don't mind, I'll just stay home and read a good book. But don't let that stop you. You go out and have a fun time.
And your move is probably a lot smarter than my getting involved on something like this, but I do have some masochistic tendencies.

faroukfarouk

There is no such thing as "the Original Bible". It was and has been a "work in progress", sorta speak.
Much like with the Qu'ran, it is virtually impossible for us today to know exactly which narratives were recorded correctly, which are partially correct, and which are just imaginary fabrications.

Ok understand what you saying.
My point is did this "work in progress" stop after the last of the Jewish prophet demise or is this "work in progress" ongoing?
After the last of the Jewish prophet demise was there any addition or omission to the Bible?

metis

Ok understand what you saying.
My point is did this "work in progress" stop after the last of the Jewish prophet demise or is this "work in progress" ongoing?
After the last of the Jewish prophet demise was there any addition or omission to the Bible?
Revelation is considered an on-going process, plus since we have been endowed with a brain, the use of study and reason are also an on-going process. Why would God supposedly only deal with one small area of the world at only one relatively brief time in human history, and then mandate what all peoples at all times and in all locations should supposedly believe? Does that make sense to you? Not to me.

Also, do you believe in prayer? If prayer counts for anything, isn't it logical that this also may bring forth revelation as well?

As far as the Tanakh is concerned, the canon deals only up to near the end of the prophetic age and no books have been added since. The Talmud does not add to the Bible as it deals more with trying to explain and elaborate on what is found in the Bible, along with some other things.

arthra

Baha'i

The Bible is to me a record of revelations over about a thousand years so it had various contributors over time...Hebrew and Aramaic were the original languages and later the Septuagint in Greek emerged...

faroukfarouk

As far as the Tanakh is concerned, the canon deals only up to near the end of the prophetic age and no books have been added since.

The oldest texts of the Tanakh were in two manuscripts from the 10th or possibly the early 11th century known as the Aleppo Codex and the Leningrad Codex.
After the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls we now have texts that goes well before these 2 manuscripts.
My question is why are there differing text between what we read today and what was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Flankerl

But I knew a fellow who folks borrowed money from. Perhaps you've heard of him. He's ....... the Loan Arranger!

3ts5q4ru.jpg

metis

The oldest texts of the Tanakh were in two manuscripts from the 10th or possibly the early 11th century known as the Aleppo Codex and the Leningrad Codex.
After the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls we now have texts that goes well before these 2 manuscripts.
My question is why are there differing text between what we read today and what was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls?
The Essenes were one branch of Judaism, and they had some books that were not canonized, and they were certainly not alone in having some texts rejected. Approximately 2000 texts were rejected as part of the canon, and they were from various sources, including the Essenes. The texts that the Essenes used that were accepted pretty much match what we now have. When these texts were used to update newer versions of the Bible in English, only a few very minor modifications were needed.

So, what are you really driving at here? While you're at it, can you vouch for the accuracy of the Qu'ran, and exactly how would you do that? I asked a similar question early in this thread but only got back nothing. If you're questioning the accuracy of Torah/Tanakh, which is fair game as far as I'm concerned, then we should maybe do the same with the Qu'ran, right? or the Hadith?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
So, what are you really driving at here? While you're at it, can you vouch for the accuracy of the Qu'ran, and exactly how would you do that? I asked a similar question early in this thread but only got back nothing. If you're questioning the accuracy of Torah/Tanakh, which is fair game as far as I'm concerned, then we should maybe do the same with the Qu'ran, right? or the Hadith?

Coming up next on Oprah - Masochism in 70 year old men. Character flaw or just darn sexy? Our panel of septuagenarian women and their husbands will discuss.