• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the Christians civilise the world?

Bismillah

Submit
No the Christians did not embody the morals of Christianity but the lust for power, wealth, and fame. This is what the crusaders and conquistadors were after. To be sure some of them were motivated by a fanatical worldview of Christianity, but I think such a view had more to do with the politics of Christian leaders rather than Christianity itself. Thus what they imposed on the natives or on the colonized cannot be surmised as a Christian moral system exported to the New World or the colonies or the Protectorates or whatever.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
No the Christians did not embody the morals of Christianity but the lust for power, wealth, and fame. This is what the crusaders and conquistadors were after. To be sure some of them were motivated by a fanatical worldview of Christianity, but I think such a view had more to do with the politics of Christian leaders rather than Christianity itself. Thus what they imposed on the natives or on the colonized cannot be surmised as a Christian moral system exported to the New World or the colonies or the Protectorates or whatever.
Ohhh, that is such a lie. NIce try though.

Muslims were first to invade, and yet you accuse Christians of lust for power?

And Conquistadors? They are no different then the Muslims who invaded Iberian Peninsula and other European lands. In fact, Islam only spreaded beacuase of the lust for power of Mohammed and his followers, who kept going after their "prophets" death.

Not to mention it once was Constantinople.

So buddy, you have no room to accuse such on Christians.

work in progress

Yeah.

Throughout Christian history, CHristians may not have been perfect and may not have done what they should have done. But Islam has done much worse.
Hold the phone here! If you're going to stamp Islam on everything that Muslim nations and leaders did, then Christianity has the most to answer for, since all of the evils of colonialism started with Western European nations conquering most of the rest of the world, enslaving their people and extracting the resources they considered valuable to bring back home. And I don't consider the colonial era to have ended, since the U.S. joined in after WWII and has used its military threat as leverage to back multinational oil companies, agribusiness and mining operations around the world. A banana republic is still a colony underneath the facade of having a national facade.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Is it really a lie though?

It's a cynical exaggeration, at the very least, imo. I have to wonder, what are the parameters of how we are defining civilizations, etc., when I read something like that.
Yes, i'm aware of the 'colonization' aspects that are sometimes linked to Xianity, however, there cannot imo be a complete kneejerk reaction of connecting every negative action taken by a Xian country, as a ''Christian'' action. It's just intellectually, irresponsible. What might be worse is the ignoring of the positive influences, that many Xian groups had on various places.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
But it was perfectly all right when the muslims were conquering Spain and standing at the gates of Wien?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Most religions I believe including Christianity have poisoned the world in many ways, making us slaves to an imaginary God.