• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did King David have red hair????

Priscilla

:no:How could red hair be the mark of Cain if David had red hair? David was a man after God's own heart and and the Lord Jesus Christ is a direct descendant, both of them Judeans, line of the tribe of Judah. David is pictured as anything but a "Canaanite", descendants of Cain.

The mark of Cain is something other than red hair. Let's not put words in the Bible's mouth!

Levite

Higher and Higher
I recall some years ago I was hanging out with a couple of Israeli girls. One was Ashkanasi the other an Arab Jew originally from Yemen. We got to speaking about King David and the Ashkanasi went to great length to tell me that KIng David was light skinned with Red Hair. ....

Yeah, this is a notion that's been kicking around for about 2000 years or so, and it is almost certainly incorrect. It's not entirely impossible that David could have been a redhead: light hair of any shade was extremely, extremely rare in the ancient Middle East. I find it deeply unlikely that David would have been a redhead: but of course, nothing is entirely impossible.

But the notion that he was stems from what is very likely a mistranslation. In 1 Samuel, when David is described in his youth, one of the adjectives used in the Hebrew is the ancient poetic term admoni. The root of this word is adom, meaning red, and it is rare but possible to use a variation like admoni in reference to red hair-- Esav the brother of Jacob was nicknamed Edom for that very reason. But the likeliest translation, the one that grammatically makes the most sense, is "ruddy," meaning that David (an outdoorsy and athletic person by all acounts) was tanned and a bit windblown, and had that slight flush to the skin that indicates the glow of good health.

I cannot recall at the moment how the Septuagint translates the word-- they may be responsible for the mistranslation. But if not there, then it was the Vulgate, which translates the word as rufus, which, while it could be used to denote ruddiness, was commonly used in Latin to mean "redheaded." It wouldn't shock me to learn that the mistranslation came from the Vulgate: Jerome could be a careless translator, though he had his moments.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Yes King David was a freckled, pale faced Caucasian with red hair- LOL :areyoucra

GabrielWithoutWings

If I remember correctly, Mary Magdalen is supposed to be descended from King David. That's why her hair is red in almost every picture you see of her.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And then there's the late biblical Hebrew Psalm 151 as witnessed at Qumran (11Q5 Col. 28) with David's curious reference to the beautiful hair of his brothers ... ;)

derek

if you read genesis 25:25 it says esau had red hair but in 1 samuel 16: 12 he was ruddy with a beautiful countenance (use your concordance itll tell you that mean hes light skinned with red hair)
Also look to 1 Samuel 17: 42 it says david was a YOUTH with red hair which means he couldn't have died it unless he was blond annnnd i highly doubt a man who walks with god would care about his VAIN appearance enough to dye his hair! this scripture also tells you he is WHITE! which means that Jesus (or his Hebrew name Joshua) him self was white as well! because its a sin to cross races (blessings and curses)

Hope this helps. i didn't read in too far someone might have said this already. sorry if they did!

Levite

Higher and Higher
if you read genesis 25:25 it says esau had red hair but in 1 samuel 16: 12 he was ruddy with a beautiful countenance (use your concordance itll tell you that mean hes light skinned with red hair)
Also look to 1 Samuel 17: 42 it says david was a YOUTH with red hair...

Actually, 1 Sam 16:12 calls David admoni im y'feh enayim, which means "he was ruddy of complexion and had beautiful eyes." 1 Sam 17:42 calls him admoni im y'feh mar'eh, meaning "he was ruddy, and was beautiful to look upon."As I mentioned previously, the Hebrew word admoni almost certainly relates to a healthy flush to the skin, as of such people as work outside, like shepherds. It has nothing to do with racial or ethnic skin coloring per se. There is absolutely no reason to think that David was not of the same brown skinned Middle Eastern stock as the rest of the Jewish people at that time.

this scripture also tells you he is WHITE! which means that Jesus (or his Hebrew name Joshua) him self was white as well! because its a sin to cross races

Dude, WTF is with the racism?!! None of the Jewish people at that time were what we commonly call Caucasian today. They were all Middle Easterners. They looked like Arabs and North Africans. I don't know what Bible you've been reading, but mine has never had thing one to say about "races" much less "crossing races." And speaking of which: "a sin to cross races"?!! What, did I miss suddenly stepping into "Birth of a Nation?!" If I'd've known there was a Klan meeting from 1875, I would've starched the good sheets....

Poisonshady313

I recall some years ago I was hanging out with a couple of Israeli girls. One was Ashkanasim the other an Arab Jew originally from Yemen. We got to speaking about King David and the Ashkanasim went to great length to tell me that KIng David was light skinned with Red Hair. I recall making the Yemeni laugh when I suggested maybe he used Henna. My point to the thread is really about the specific issue and if anyone knew any traditions about KIng David.

The word Ashkanasim is a plural noun.

It would be more accurate to say "One was Ashkanaz, the other an Arab Jew originally from Yemen"

and "We got to speaking about King David and the Ashkanazi went to great length..."

In Hebrew, when a person is defined by the place where they come from, an "i" is placed at the end of the name of the place... for example... Someone from Israel is an Israeli.

Or some biblical names... Hittite, and the Girga****e, and the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Perizzite.... would be the Hitti, Girgashi, Amori, Canaani, and the Perizi...

An Egyptian (the name for Egypt being Mitzrayim) would be a Mitzri.

So, one from Ashkenaz (Which is the name for Germany, though generally applies to Eastern European and parts of Russia)... is an Ashkenazi.