• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jonah live inside a whale?

xxclaro

From the other thread about Jesus dying, I saw the Jonah story being mentioned. This brought up a question for me. Is there now,or has there been a fish/whale that a person could be swallowed by and live for 3 days? For Christians, do you believe this story actually happened?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
From the other thread about Jesus dying, I saw the Jonah story being mentioned. This brought up a question for me. Is there now,or has there been a fish/whale that a person could be swallowed by and live for 3 days? For Christians, do you believe this story actually happened?

Last I heard...
Being swallowed by a whale would be a remote possibility.
Though they have large mouths, their throats are relatively narrow.
They typically swim through schools of small prey, and the lining of their mouths filter away anything of size.

Humans need an air supply. So do whales. But a whale can submerge to depth and then resurface far beyond what a man's body can tolerate.

I like the story.

I would prefer to say....with God.... all things are possible.

But that a man could be held...suspended...for three days....in the belly of a whale....

This would require a stretch of believing....a willingness to say 'yeah'
to things I can't prove.

oh yeah....
That's why it's called faith.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
There have been various stories about real life Jonahs, but all appear to be fabrications. The few whales that I can think of that would swallow a human would kill it first.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Friend Thief,

Read this story:
Buried for 27 days: Haiti earthquake survivor's amazing story - Telegraph
If someone can survive 27 days under an earthquake debris living inside a whale for three days is a cakewalk!
There is no faith required only an understanding.
If one is lacking in understanding then the only way is to face TRUTH to realise it and in this case it would only be possible by going inside a whale!

Love & rgds
There is a difference though. In a whale there are stomach acids that have to be dealt with. As well as a lack of oxygen, and extreme pressure.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend fallingblood,

That is the uniqueness of the mind it will find differences even in death!
Suggest read that link provided and understand about the conditions of this man who survived 27 days. Besides as mentioned taste the difference if one is keen to really unfold the TRUTH!

Love & rgds

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Friend fallingblood,

Suggest read that link provided and understand about the conditions of this man who survived 27 days. Besides as mentioned taste the difference if one is keen to really unfold the TRUTH!

Love & rgds

Not wanting to redirect too far....
Moses came down from the mount, after forty days and nights, and claimed he did need eat, or drink water, during that time.

I mention this only because this topic seems to lean toward.....
what are we willing to believe?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

1. The bible said big fish, not whale. A whale could not swallow a human, from what I have been told.
2. I don't know if the story is literal, partly symbolic, or all symbolic. If it is partly symbolic, then the big fish that Jonah was in could taken as Jonah's spirit in between being united and being disconnected from God.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The whale can't swallow a human thing is folklore, not biology. Even an orca (dolphin) would have no trouble eating a human.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Whale if I know.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
from googleanswers:

The only fish that could theoretically do it is the Great White shark.

From the Shark Attacks web site. Scroll down to see the picture.
About Great White Shark Attacks Victim stories photo gallery of Bull,Tiger Attack on Divers & swimmers

"A photo of a Great White swallowing a whole 2.10 Meters Dusky Shark. The
Dusky Shark was hanging at the stern during a fishing competition. This is
... photographic proof that a Great White shark can swallow a man whole."

The picture can be seen here by itself.
http://www.sharkattacks.com/images/amos/rightf1.jpg

2.1 meters is just short of 7 feet long.

From the MSN Encarta entry on the Great White shark.
http://uk.encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761571508/Great_White_Shark.html

"One of the largest specimens was caught off Montauk, Long Island, New York,
in 1964; it was 5.34 m [over 17.5 feet] long ... White sharks swallow unchewed
creatures and objects half their size ..."

Note that a Great White shark that was over 17 feet long could swallow whole
a creature (say, an adult person) that was 6 feet tall.

Love & rgds

Arkholt

Non-vessel
Thanks, zenzero. I never understood the tendency people have to automatically think "whale" when they read the story and see "big fish." Sharks ARE, in reality, big fish, and there is much more of a chance of them swallowing you whole than a whale.

As for whether or not you could survive inside them for three days... Well, I've always seen the story as a type of the death and resurrection of Christ, and Jonah going through a similar situation: dying spiritually by shirking his duty to preach to the people of Nineveh, then being dead for three days, and being resurrected as it were from his watery grave.

Now, the story itself could be just allegory or metaphor, it could be some kind of explanation of what happened by someone who wasn't there, the real Jonah could have had some kind of experience that he could only explain properly in these terms, or it could have actually happened.

My take, however, is that it doesn't really matter. Same thing with many of the stories in the Bible. Did they happen? Maybe, maybe not. Do they still teach the lessons and doctrine that they were always meant to teach? Yes. Not to denigrate the question, but I just find it a bit useless to debate whether something actually happened or not if the story is still useful either way.

A

angellous_evangellous

Probably a sperm whale would be the most comforable, but there are plenty of fish that can swallow a man.

The key I think would be delayed digestion.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Stories that we read in scriptures are all symbolic.
When it says God took 6 days to create? one should not take it literally.
However, we must also understand that evolution has not stopped since Jonah's time and there could have been a fish which could have swallowed him those days, who knows?
The point is we are all part of the *whole* and to understand the *whole* with the small part of the part that one is and his brain of him is; such a task is illogical.
Only through understanding is the unity possible.

Love & rgds

Smoke

Done here.

The swallowing part is possible; the surviving isn't. However, I suppose a believer would say it was a miracle.

More important is that you've provided an excuse to use one of my favorite P. G. Wodehouse quotes: "She didn't like him being an atheist, and he wouldn't stop being an atheist, and finally he said something about Jonah and the Whale which it was impossible for her to overlook." :)

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Friend Thief,

Read this story:
Buried for 27 days: Haiti earthquake survivor's amazing story - Telegraph
If someone can survive 27 days under an earthquake debris living inside a whale for three days is a cakewalk!
There is no faith required only an understanding.
If one is lacking in understanding then the only way is to face TRUTH to realise it and in this case it would only be possible by going inside a whale!

Love & rgds

Can you live for three days underwater with no oxgygen in a highly toxic environment?

A whale's belly isn't some cavernous air filled cave, as the writters of your myths thought.

It is a place lacking oxygen and filled with acidic juices meant to break down biological matter.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Friend fallingblood,

Love & rgds

Let's see...

Trapped in rubble with water trickling near by.

Swallowed whole and your corpse being slowly digested as you had died of afixiation in about three minutes after being swallowed. Assuming said marine life hadn't chewed first.

Are you really trying to compare the two?