• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus or any holy figure ever joke around?

amorphous_constellation

kind of reading about this whole "idle speech" idea, which could probably be its own thread, but judging by some biblical passages I'm kind of doubting that joking or much laughter was ever allowed. This to me seems almost completely implausible when envisioning the new testament scenario of a dozen or so men continually camping and living together. However, there are plenty of passages speaking against chattering, babbling, joking and gossip. Jesus says you will have to give an account of all the words you say. So with that it mind, one wonders if all of these men were often almost completely silent, and as stone serious possible.

And to those who follow things outside of the bible, did your holy figures ever do much joking?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
kind of reading about this whole "idle speech" idea, which could probably be its own thread, but judging by some biblical passages I'm kind of doubting that joking or much laughter was ever allowed. This to me seems almost completely implausible when envisioning the new testament scenario of a dozen or so men continually camping and living together. However, there are plenty of passages speaking against chattering, babbling, joking and gossip. Jesus says you will have to give an account of all the words you say. So with that it mind, one wonders if all of these men were often almost completely silent, and as stone serious possible.

And to those who follow things outside of the bible, did your holy figures ever do much joking?

Curious timing indeed!

I was half planning - at 4 am and sleep-deprived a thread about humour & God ...

Great minds think alike.

There is no room for laughter in religion - life is deadly serious - if you believe the wrong things you may burn forever and that's not a pleasant prospect!

Only kidding - I firmly believe there is no Hell or eternal damnation but I could always be wrong - I never claimed to be inflammable!

Plenty of people believe ina loving God but how many believe in a laughing God?

I think that unless God has a fabulous sense of humour most of us are in deep trouble!

:)

amorphous_constellation

I was half planning - at 4 am and sleep-deprived a thread about humour & God ...

do that

Only kidding - I firmly believe there is no Hell or eternal damnation but I could always be wrong - I never claimed to be inflammable!

very funny. But god and the spirit world are not laughing.

I think that unless God has a fabulous sense of humour most of us are in deep trouble!

I think there's probably some psychological reason that humans probably project out anti-humor type deities. I think the primate inclination is to find truth in seriousness. You probably don't stare into the stern face of a dominant male chimpanzee or gorilla for example, but that is where the authority is.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Curious timing indeed!

Great minds think alike.

There is no room for laughter in religion - life is deadly serious - if you believe the wrong things you may burn forever and that's not a pleasant prospect!

Plenty of people believe ina loving God but how many believe in a laughing God?

:)
Didn't Christianity's God afflict people with hemorrhoids at one time? I thought that was pretty funny.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If you’re not laughing out loud when you read some parts of the Bible, you’re missing the point. I’m not denying the serious impact of the Scriptures, but some stories and sayings are just funny. This is especially true in the teachings of Jesus, who was not only a brilliant teacher, but also a pretty good comedian.
Did Jesus Tell Jokes?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

The spiritual holy people like Jesus, Buddha, and so on were mostly silent if they did not teach their wisdom to a person or a group of people. In my understanding, they spoke not much about other than spiritual topics, because that is why they come to earth, they were and still are teachers of a path to freedom for us human beings.

They might have had some form of humor, but not the kind that made others uncomfortable and no jokes about silly topics.
My understanding is that spiritual teachers take life very serious because if they begin to become immoral they will have failed their "mission on earth" and become just regular human beings too.

firedragon

Veteran Member

We dont know truly.

But one must say there are many reports that the prophet Muhammed was making jokes with his friends. But those are stories. Could be folklore made out of over admiration.

Anyway there is no way to know for sure.

Ellen Brown

We laugh when our brain sees a paradox. It is likely that he did. Humans are a joke.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Maybe they all joked around. But the jokes didn't make it into the scripture. Wise people make witty remarks in casual conversation but when they write about a serious subject, they are dead serious.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Maybe they all joked around. But the jokes didn't make it into the scripture. Wise people make witty remarks in casual conversation but when they write about a serious subject, they are dead serious.

That’s why I like Sufism.
Mulla Nasrudin.

Nasrudin was standing near a river. A man on the other side shouted to him, "Hey! How can I get across the river?"

"You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

JJ50

We have no idea what the real Jesus was really like, just the gospel writers creation, which was more than likely at odds with the person he actually was.

Some of the people I remember from my childhood who were oh so holy on a Sunday, certainly couldn't be classified as such the way they led their day to day lives.:confused: They liked a laugh and a joke like anyone else. One church elder was laughing when he told me as a teenager what he would like to do with my very attractive mother in his hay loft!:mad: The married pastor was smiling when he touched my upper thigh inappropriately when I was 14 telling me how beautiful he thought my mother was!:mad:

Audie

Veteran Member
If you’re not laughing out loud when you read some parts of the Bible, you’re missing the point. I’m not denying the serious impact of the Scriptures, but some stories and sayings are just funny. This is especially true in the teachings of Jesus, who was not only a brilliant teacher, but also a pretty good comedian.
Did Jesus Tell Jokes?

What did he teach that was so "brilliant"?
For a son-o-god, he seems kind of derivative,
and not half the orator of, say, Churchill or Mark
Twain.