• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did God rape Mary?

spamandham

Well, we have no reason to think Mary was impregnated by a ghost outside the NT Gospels. In those books, Mary consented willingly, and there is no indication she was younger than the prevailing age of consent.

..of course, no-one gets impregnated by ghosts these days.

Smoke

Done here.
Which experts are these?
I can't imagine how anybody would get to be an "expert" on that subject. However, the tradition is that Mary was quite young. St. Tikhon of Zadonsk says that she is variously said to be anywhere from 12 to 17 at the time of the Annunciation.

Smoke

Done here.
This is a truly offensive thread. I do not know to what depts one has to sink, to think that god would rape mary.
This is a god who ordered murder, rape, and genocide, who killed or had his angels kill thousands of people on multiple occasions and once killed almost every living thing on the planet. I can't imagine how a single rape could possibly tarnish his reputation.

Bloomdido

Jesus' mother is known as the Virgin Mary. She was a virgin when she conceived her Son and a virgin when she gave birth. Do you know what a virgin is, Bloomdido? Once a woman has had sexual intercourse, she is no longer a virgin. Is Great Britain really that backward in terms of sex education?

We still are. Religion has to be taught in our schools but sex education doesn't. Hence we have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe.

Bloomdido

Looks like I'm not the first person to have asked this question. Don't you just love Google?

Can we make Google our new God? It brings people together in a way that religion never did and provides answers that religion never will.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Looks like I'm not the first person to have asked this question.
Indeed. It shows that four years ago someone else was as ignorant of the Gospels as you were at the time of writing the question, whereas one could easily 9and should before asking such a question) - have read in the first chapter of Luke without making yourself look like an anti-Christian bigot.

Bloomdido

Indeed. It shows that four years ago someone else was as ignorant of the Gospels as you were at the time of writing the question, whereas one could easily 9and should before asking such a question) - have read in the first chapter of Luke without making yourself look like an anti-Christian bigot.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have just read the first Chapter of Luke and would comment on the following;
  1. "He shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb."
    John the Baptist was "filled with the Holy Ghost" even as a fetus! 1:15
  2. God strikes Zacharias dumb for doubting the angel Gabriel's words. 1:20
  3. John the Baptist, while still a fetus, leaped for joy when he heard the voice of Mary. 1:44
It is hard to believe the bible is the word of God. I could have wrote it better.

Last edited:

other-side

Soul separator
Don't be silly. Bill Gates raped the computer-using public.
:angel2:
everyone is raping! what a bad adulterator world we live in!:areyoucra

This is a god who ordered murder, rape, and genocide, who killed or had his angels kill thousands of people on multiple occasions and once killed almost every living thing on the planet. I can't imagine how a single rape could possibly tarnish his reputation.

what a bad naughty God!anything left?:baseball:

Looks like I'm not the first person to have asked this question. Don't you just love Google?

Can we make Google our new God? It brings people together in a way that religion never did and provides answers that religion never will.
how old is our new God? i wanna throw a party for his birthday!!:clover:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thanks for pointing this out. I have just read the first Chapter of Luke and would comment on the following;
  1. "He shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb."
    John the Baptist was "filled with the Holy Ghost" even as a fetus! 1:15
Yes? And?
  1. God strikes Zacharias dumb for doubting the angel Gabriel's words. 1:20
Could this not be an idiom for "he was speechless"?

1. John the Baptist, while still a fetus, leaped for joy when he heard the voice of Mary. 1:44
Babies do move in the womb. Whilst I agree there could easily be a bit of um.. shall we say "reading into it", it's hardly that ridiculous.

It is hard to believe the bible is the word of God. I could have wrote it better.
Somehow I doubt it, but we're not arguing that are we - the thread is "did God rape Mary", not "I could write a better Bible". :p

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I understand that some experts consider Mary to be as young as 12 years old. However when God or the holy spirit inseminated Mary without her consent, was this rape?
I've already posted once to state what an absolutely inane question this is, but something else just occurred to me. Prior to Jesus' conception, the Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she had been chosen to be the mother of the Christ. Her response was, "Be it unto me according to thy word." That statement, in case you missed it, means, "I consent." Even if your post otherwise made an ounce of sense, it is clear that Mary consented to become the mother of the Son of God. As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to even attempt to argue the point any further.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I've already posted once to state what an absolutely inane question this is, but something else just occurred to me. Prior to Jesus' conception, the Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she had been chosen to be the mother of the Christ. Her response was, "Be it unto me according to thy word." That statement, in case you missed it, means, "I consent." Even if your post otherwise made an ounce of sense, it is clear that Mary consented to become the mother of the Son of God. As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to even attempt to argue the point any further.
I would think the person that the angel Gabriel should have appeared to first was Joseph, then the angel should have held a council with both Mary and Joseph.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I would think the person that the angel Gabriel should have appeared to first was Joseph, then the angel should have held a council with both Mary and Joseph.
Actually, that sounds like a reasonable idea. Given the fact, though, that Joseph was supportive of Mary once he was also visited by Gabriel, I'm sure that it would have worked out the same if a "council" had been held. :yes:

Mr Cheese

what are you talking about??? How is this part of the discussion?/quote]

Not really much of a discussion. I have yet to see any experts saying that Mary was twelve, nor that she didn't give consent.

experts?

on the field doctors?

I thought she was 14....

maybe it was 12.... that is the traditional age of mary anyway

lets see:

Since 1889 Holzmann and many Protestant writers have tried to show that the verses Luke 1:34-35, containing the message of conception through the Holy Ghost are interpolated. Usener derives the origin of the "myth" from the heathen hero worship; but Harnack tries to prove that it is of Judaic origin (Isaiah 7:14, Behold a Virgin shall conceive, etc.). Bardenhewer, however, has fully established the authenticity of the text (p. 13). St. Luke may have taken his knowledge of the event from an older account, written in Aramaic or Hebrew. The words: "Blessed art thou among women" (v. 28), are spurious and taken from verse 42, the account of the Visitation. Cardinal Cajetan wanted to understand the words: "because I know not man", not of the future, but only of the past: up to this hour I do not know man. This manifest error, which contradicts the words of the text, has been universally rejected by all Catholic authors. The opinion that Joseph at the time of the Annunciation was an aged widower and Mary twelve or fifteen years of age, is founded only upon apocryphal documents. The local tradition of Nazareth pretends that the angel met Mary and greeted her at the fountain, and when she fled from him in fear, he followed her into the house and there continued his message. (Buhl, Geogr. v. Palaest., 1896.) The year and day of the Annunciation cannot be determined as long as new material does not throw more light on the subject. The present date of the feast (25 March) depends upon the date of the older feast of Christmas.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Mr Cheese

thread closed then...

cardero

Citizen Mod
thread closed then...
Not yet. We really haven't been informed of the consequences that would have befallen Mary if she had refused. Was it out of fear that she consented? Would God have just left Mary alone and have chosen another virgin? Would Mary have been smited because she displayed free will and disrupted God's purpose?

Last edited: