• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did God create hate?

nnmartin

just more atheist propaganda trying to discredit the Bible by reading Scripture out of context.

rusra02

Premium Member
Came across this article about hate, god and religion. What do you think?

God and Religion

Hatred is not necessarily bad. God hates or abhors what is bad, and urges us to do so. (Psalm 97:10) Among the things God hates are "hands shedding innocent blood, robbery, unrighteousness, and violence. (Proverbs 6:16-19, Psalm 11:5) So there is proper abhorrence or hatred, and improper hatred, such as maliciously hating our fellow man because of racial, ethnic, national, or even personal differences. (1 John 3:15) God is the source of proper hatred of bad things, but outstandingly, "God is Love." (1 John 4:8)
Satan is the source of the evil hatred that is so prevalent today. (John 8:44)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, for those who think that God is Love, keep in mind that hate is not the opposite of Love. Hate can only exist if love exists.

4consideration

Premium Member
Well, for those who think that God is Love, keep in mind that hate is not the opposite of Love. Hate can only exist if love exists.

I agree.

I do not think that Love has any opposites. It is the basic component of all that is.

I believe that Hate is the inversion of Love -- or some form of negative emotion that actually gets its power from the Love (perhaps injured Love) that is at the very center of it.

That is why, I think, that Love is at the root of every situation that needs correcting.

If a situation appears to be based upon Hate, if we look deeply enough into the situation, we will find some place where Love has been dishonored, damaged, denied -- and that is the point where re-connection or healing can occur -- to resolve, or dissolve, what we call Hate -- by honoring the Love present once again.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Hatred is not necessarily bad. God hates or abhors what is bad, and urges us to do so. (Psalm 97:10) Among the things God hates are "hands shedding innocent blood, robbery, unrighteousness, and violence. (Proverbs 6:16-19, Psalm 11:5) So there is proper abhorrence or hatred, and improper hatred, such as maliciously hating our fellow man because of racial, ethnic, national, or even personal differences. (1 John 3:15) God is the source of proper hatred of bad things, but outstandingly, "God is Love." (1 John 4:8)
Satan is the source of the evil hatred that is so prevalent today. (John 8:44)

Isaiah 45:7 reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

not nom

I'm pretty sure god is supposed to hate hate... though don't ask me how that works, I'm not sure it does.

not nom

just more atheist propaganda trying to discredit the Bible by reading Scripture out of context.

you say that like it's a bad thing :confused:

and you're one to talk, seeing some of the threads you create and how you argue in them.

not nom

if god didn't create lies, because that's "different" - how are love, trust, honesty etc. not different in the same way? why selectively give credit? because some things are nicer than others?

"some things aren't things, but decisions, silly!"... but it remains to be credibly shown how those decisions aren't inextricably linked with the material universe, AND why icky decisions are "not god's fault", but all the nice bits are to god's glory. satan tempts, god protects and gives strength. seems biased, to put it mildly.

actually, that's not "biased", that's PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY in big red blinking neon letters.. let those who have eyes in the head see.

rusra02

Premium Member
Isaiah 45:7 reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

Evil is not always synonymous with wrongdoing or wickedness. The Hebrew word rendered 'evil' is variously translated as 'bad', 'gloomy', 'ugly', 'calamitous'. God creates calamity for the wicked, as he did when he brought the global deluge to destroy an ancient world. After the Flood, God said "never again shall I call down evil upon the ground on man's account." (Genesis 8:21) So God creates evil (when necessary) but always in righteousness and justice.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Evil is not always synonymous with wrongdoing or wickedness. The Hebrew word rendered 'evil' is variously translated as 'bad', 'gloomy', 'ugly', 'calamitous'. God creates calamity for the wicked, as he did when he brought the global deluge to destroy an ancient world. After the Flood, God said "never again shall I call down evil upon the ground on man's account." (Genesis 8:21) So God creates evil (when necessary) but always in righteousness and justice.
In other words, the all-loving mighty smiter.