• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Dungeons and Dragons make me an Atheist?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well,come to find out later ,my friend was getting the dice but in the process stumbled across his fathers pistol.He accidentally shot his brains out in front of the other boy.It was horrible.I will never forget that.

That is indeed awful and you have my sympathy. Not entirely sure what that has to do with anything though? Do you associate that particular memory with D&D? Completely understandable if you did, not logical, but understandable nonetheless.
Since you brought it up, may I say though I am upset for that poor boy's family, it is quite irresponsible for people to leave guns where a minor can get at them, imo.

That is indeed awful and you have my sympathy. Not entirely sure what that has to do with anything though? Do you associate that particular memory with D&D? Completely understandable if you did, not logical, but understandable nonetheless.
Since you brought it up, may I say though I am upset for that poor boy's family, it is quite irresponsible for people to leave guns where a minor can get at them, imo.

Yeah,it was a very long time ago back in the early 80's.Yes,I do associate that memory with D&D, because he was part of the group that played on a daily basis.I only played at school with them.He was going to go get dice for the game. Of course it happened because he was curious,it had nothing to do with the game.Yes, I do agree it is irresponsible for parents to leave things out like that.Thanks for sharing.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I have been playing D&D since I was about ten, and I consider it to be my primary creative outlet. Through the game, I have created unique multi-planar cosmologies, and perhaps hundreds of gods, and hundreds more religions and religious practices to go with those gods. In younger times, I would copy concepts taken from other religious in RL, but now that I’m older, I think only about the seed of the narrative conflicts, in all of its motivations and concerns. As players often ask questions beyond the scope, I have to put myself in that mindset so I can provide answers, or riddles, or ask a question back as the situation demands.

This has become quite easy for me to do as an adult. I think seriously about religion and faith all the time, but I mostly do so in the context of creating new ones that are embedded into the fabric of political, social, and geographical systems that I am also creating. I also have to consider mystical realities beyond the Prime Material world, ones that are not culturally situated in direct material experience. I have to consider what realms without thought or movement or energy or void might look like, or might be experienced. I have to consider what other planes of existence look like, and how their philosophies inform the natures of their experiences whether epistemological or moral.

As a D&D player, I am addicted to narratives. Addicted. I ended up majoring in English for no practical reason. I have a master’s degree in Literature, again, for no practical reason. But one of the things this addiction has taught me is the tools to recognize those narratives in everything I see in the real world, in accepted history and the finite number of accepted religions and political systems it has created. I try to determine why some are exciting and why some are not, and it becomes reflex to not only consider what it is, but what it could be, and how could I use it for my narratives?

My problems with theism and it recognition of legit god concepts is most likely the very specific narrative nature of it. Because I relate to the world as acts of storytelling that I use for inspiration, I can’t help but see faith and god concepts as limited and arbitrary, serving a very specific narrative that people somehow accept as some kind of truth. Why accept a single defining story, instead of seeing endless possibilities?

But then I realize that if I can create them, tweak them, ignore them, or appropriate them, then all accepted religious narratives are essentially arbitrary. This is the most likely seed of my atheism. I suppose if I did want to believe in something, it would be an utterly invented concept of my own, and while there’s nothing wrong with that and people do it all the time, there is no way to separate the mythology I’ve constructed from my ability to understand why I constructed it, or ignore the fact that I constructed it in the first place. I can’t accept the story if I am also the storyteller. I just see that as a contradiction.

Anyone else play D&D? Has it changed your views on real world religions, politics, or history?
I play D&D but I was an atheist by the time I started playing. I think it was pretty obvious that the game was created by atheists and I think a lot of atheists see the religion and the gods in the game as being similar to the way gods are in real life. They are changed and arbitrarily defined to suite whatever purpose you had.

In fact there was a twisted campaign that I was part of one time that had a neat theme. We had to be religious fanatics of whatever god we were supposed to follow but we needed to act opposite the alignment but justify it somehow with our faith. It was funny but short lived.

Jumi

I didn't play D&D except on computer. Playing other RPGs was a fun hobby back in the day. My favorite game must have been Cyberpunk or Werewolf. Getting called a Satan worshiper by religious folks for no reason other than playing was annoying and left a bad taste, but at least it prepared me for how atheists were reacted to. ;)

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Hmmm, I'm not sure how I've missed this thread, but let me take a crack:
  1. Yes, I play D&D.
  2. I was not atheist when I started playing D&D.
  3. I never gave it much thought; how much D&D influenced my religious views. IN my gaming experience, I'd have to say very little. But I, nor the other DMs in our group, it seems, do not put as much emphasis or thought into the religious aspect of the game as it seems Kuzcotopia does. Kuzcotopia, I regret not being able to play in your worlds. I suspect that they are rich and exciting worlds to engage in.
  4. D&D is not a computer game; it is a nonconventional game played with the imagination.
  5. Most of the D&D related tragedies noted in the D&D article are from the 1980's; a time of many moral panics: Razor blades in apples on Halloween (maybe one documented case, the rest a moral scare); Ritualized Satanic Abuse (Even after full investigations of claims by the FBI, no evidence was found to support these claims); Repressed Memory Syndrome (largely discredited by reputable mental health care providers today); Child Sacrifice by Satanic Cultists (again, not one shred of evidence or documented case ever). D&D, in and of itself, is utterly and totally harmless.
  6. I will stipulate, however, that for anyone who has difficulty separating reality from fantasy; D&D is not healthy and could exasperate those problems. IN our group, when we observe a person attempting to play out real life in game life; or game life in real life, we ask them to leave the table. We have done that before, actually. But,all except the tiniest fraction of people have issues in knowing the difference between a fantasy and a reality.
  7. In short, D&D doesn't cause problems but can bring to light or exasperate preexisting problems.
  8. Whether or not negativity or positivity is "fed" in playing the game depends on a large number of things. I have seen people try to use D&D to "play out" their deviant violent or sexual fantasies. Certainly, we do not allow this kind of behavior in our games. This is not the purpose of the game. Characters in a party who act this stupid are typically eliminated by the other party members; as such behaviors threaten the completion of the quest and threaten the completion of the objectives. One former player (whom we eventually asked to leave) went through a string of about 12 characters; and still didn't figure out the teamwork aspect of the game! He was too busy trying to be a nonconformist and rabble rouser. Most of my characters are "good aligned" characters; I and my party set out to right wrongs, drive back the influence of evil religions and powers, saving people in distress, often through acts of courage and self-sacrifice. This does not "encourage negativity in the brain".
  9. I don't think D&D had much influence on my religious outlooks in life.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
On another site, a Q&A one, I responded to this question:

"
What can you learn from Dungeons and Dragons?"

Here's my answer:

"Mental arithmetic, teamwork, strategy, tactics, logistics, bureaucracy, research/referencing, negotiation and compromise, philosophy, project management, and which Monty Python quotes are the most relevant to a given situation."

Tabletop RPGs are excellent for the brain. They teach a wide range of skills, and promote the acquisition of knowledge. The only reason to oppose them is if you oppose these things too.

>>> Yes <<<
... though not recommended for the compulsive personality or for a person who has preexisting issues complicating their ability to separate reality from fantasy ...