• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christ appear to other nations?

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd>
Who are these other sheep? I think most of Christianity believes He is talking about the gentiles. But, is it really the gentiles He is talking about? In this scripture Christ says He'll personally go to these other sheep, to bring them into His fold. Christ never ministered to the gentiles personally. Christ only ministered to the Jews personally. In the Book of Mormon, it starts off in Jerusalem, where one of Jeremiah's contemporaries, Lehi, was preaching against the wicked Jews. Lehi and his family is comanded to leave because their lives are in danger. They leave and ultimately end up in the Americas. There, they are still practicing Jews. They live the Law of Moses and await the coming of Christ. After Christ was resurrected He ministered to them and established the Church there. He chose apostles and even gave some of the same sermons. Look at how many times the Jews were scattered. Not all of the Jews were in Jerusalem. Why is it so hard for other Christian denominations to accept that Chirst went to more than one nation of Jews to establish the Gospel? :confused:

energize

The Jewish apostles of course went into Rome and other countries to gather out Jews for the purpose of returning(converting them back) to their Judaism instead of them living in the manner of Gentiles. Peter even returned to Jerusalem and his Judaism after Paul had exposed his hypocrisy.

The "others" Jesus spoke of in his last prayers was speaking of those people his disciples would bring with them into Judaism, not into Gentilism. It was not Jesus intention to bring any uncircumcised and lawless Gentiles into "the kingdom of God", which was at Jerusalem, the city whereof God chose to place his name.

Popeyesays

mormonman said:
Who are these other sheep? I think most of Christianity believes He is talking about the gentiles. But, is it really the gentiles He is talking about? In this scripture Christ says He'll personally go to these other sheep, to bring them into His fold. Christ never ministered to the gentiles personally. Christ only ministered to the Jews personally. In the Book of Mormon, it starts off in Jerusalem, where one of Jeremiah's contemporaries, Lehi, was preaching against the wicked Jews. Lehi and his family is comanded to leave because their lives are in danger. They leave and ultimately end up in the Americas. There, they are still practicing Jews. They live the Law of Moses and await the coming of Christ. After Christ was resurrected He ministered to them and established the Church there. He chose apostles and even gave some of the same sermons. Look at how many times the Jews were scattered. Not all of the Jews were in Jerusalem. Why is it so hard for other Christian denominations to accept that Chirst went to more than one nation of Jews to establish the Gospel? :confused:
I believe that Jesus came to this earth ONCE. Christ (the Annointed, the Chosen, the Messiah, the Spirit of God), however, has come many times to as many peoples as needed to hear Him. I do not think, however, that He came to all those peoples in the three day period between His death on the cross and His resurrection.

Moses was "the Christ" to the people to whom He came. Muhammed was the "Christ" to the people to whom He came, etc. Zoroaster, Buddha, the Bab, Baha`u'llah, Noah, Abraham, Krsna, all came as the Divine Manifestation of God, but the man, Jesus was here just once.

Regards,
Scott

TheGreaterGame

mormonman said:
Its not hard to belive . . . but it just never happened . . . no matter how many fictional stories are written.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Some certainly in the middle ages,
believed Jesus came to England for a time after he rose again.

Though I don't know of any group who believes this today.

Terry_________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Terrywoodenpic said:
Some certainly in the middle ages,
believed Jesus came to England for a time after he rose again.

Though I don't know of any group who believes this today.

Terry_________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land
My wife has told me that too. Something about sticking his staff in the ground and it grew into a tree.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
energize said:
The Jewish apostles of course went into Rome and other countries to gather out Jews for the purpose of returning(converting them back) to their Judaism instead of them living in the manner of Gentiles. Peter even returned to Jerusalem and his Judaism after Paul had exposed his hypocrisy.

The "others" Jesus spoke of in his last prayers was speaking of those people his disciples would bring with them into Judaism, not into Gentilism. It was not Jesus intention to bring any uncircumcised and lawless Gentiles into "the kingdom of God", which was at Jerusalem, the city whereof God chose to place his name.
First the Apostles didn't convert people to Judaism, they converted people to Christianity. Second, again, Christ didn't go to the Gentiles, He went to the Jews. In John 10:16 He said that He had other sheep that were not in the fold (not in Jerusalem) and the HE must bring them into the fold. Many times Christ was called the "Good Shepherd". Why would a good shepherd send others to bring back the lost sheep? HE WOULDN'T.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Popeyesays said:
I believe that Jesus came to this earth ONCE. Christ (the Annointed, the Chosen, the Messiah, the Spirit of God), however, has come many times to as many peoples as needed to hear Him. I do not think, however, that He came to all those peoples in the three day period between His death on the cross and His resurrection.

Moses was "the Christ" to the people to whom He came. Muhammed was the "Christ" to the people to whom He came, etc. Zoroaster, Buddha, the Bab, Baha`u'llah, Noah, Abraham, Krsna, all came as the Divine Manifestation of God, but the man, Jesus was here just once.
He didn't come to all of those people in a 3 day period. After he was resurrected He went to the Apostles, then He went to His "other sheep". He came once? Christ has been on the Earth many more times than one. For example he came to Saul on the way to Damascus and to John on the Island of Patmos.

Solon

TheGreaterGame said:
Its not hard to belive . . . but it just never happened . . . no matter how many fictional stories are written.
I believe we have already proved that beyond any reasonable doubt. Not that that has made us many friends !

Cheers

S

fromthe heart

mormonman said:
He didn't come to all of those people in a 3 day period. After he was resurrected He went to the Apostles, then He went to His "other sheep". He came once? Christ has been on the Earth many more times than one. For example he came to Saul on the way to Damascus and to John on the Island of Patmos.
In body or spirit? What is the time frame of these visits?

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Solon said:
I believe we have already proved that beyond any reasonable doubt. Not that that has made us many friends !

Cheers

S
If you have "proved" our falsehood w/o a doubt, then why is the LDS Church the fastest growing religion in the WORLD?

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
fromthe heart said:
In body or spirit? What is the time frame of these visits?
It was after He was resurrected, so He was in physical body form. He came to Saul in the Book of Acts and Paul in for the Book of Revelation, so it was after cricifiction and resurrection. After He went to the Apostles for forty days then he went to the other Jewish nations to bring them His Gospel.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well if he did my ancestors don't remember it.

I once had someone try to convince me that "the white buffalo" was Jesus... there is just one problem with this. White Buffalo Calf Woman is not a man, Jewish or otherwise... unless Jesus pulled a real quick one on everyone. :cool:

wa:do

jonny

mormonman said:
If you have "proved" our falsehood w/o a doubt, then why is the LDS Church the fastest growing religion in the WORLD?
That statment isn't true. It may have been for a time, but it is no longer the case.

Popeyesays

mormonman said:
Those are slippery statistics, and no two sets of statistics are likely to agree with each other.

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Shows that the Baha`i Faith has grown more than 200% in the U.S. since 1990, and the growth of the LDS (in all its splinters) has increased only 8% since 1990. This is in the U.S. of course.
-------------------------------
http://www.adherents.com/adh_rb.html

Most Ubiquitous Religious Bodies: The religious bodies on this list which are most likely to have a church, mosque, or congregation near you (in most countries in the world) are:
  • Catholic Church
  • Sunni Islam
  • Baha'i Faith
  • Jehovah's Witnesses
  • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Seventh-day Adventists

Regarding ubiquity: There are many large religious groups which are not especially ubiquitous, although they may seem widespread. This is the case with groups whose membership comes primarily from one country or a limited region, yet is also organized in a large number of countries. The group may only have a small or token presence in most of the countries in which it is organized, or it is only organized in the major cities of the foreign countries, often primarily among expatriates. Groups which are "widespread but not ubiquitous" like this include Sikhs, Eastern Orthodox, Soka Gakkai, Ahmadiyya, International Church of Christ, Church of Scientology, Church of the Nazarene, and the Churches of Christ. Protestant Christianity taken as a whole is, of course, quite ubiquitous, but most individual Protestant religious bodies do not currently have a sense of doctrinal exclusivity on the denominational level sufficient to attempt establishing a presence worldwide.
Top 10 Largest Highly International Religious Bodies

These are religious bodies in which at least 30% of their world membership live outside the "core country" (country with the largest number of members).

Religious BodyNumber of AdherentsCatholic Church1,100,000,000Sunni Islam875,000,000Eastern Orthodox Church225,000,000Anglican Communion*76,000,000Assemblies of God50,000,000Seventh-day Adventists16,811,519Jehovah's Witnesses15,597,746Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints12,275,822New Apostolic Church10,260,000Ahmadiyya10,000,000Bahai World Faith6,000,000
Classical World Religions Ranked by Internal Religious Similarity:
Most Unified to Most Diverse

1. Baha'i
  2. Zoroastrianism
  3. Sikhism
  4. Islam
  5. Jainism
  6. Judaism
  7. Taoism
  8. Shinto
  9. Christianity
  10. Buddhism
  11. Hinduism
No "value judgement" is implied by this list. There are adjectives with both positive and negative connotations which describe both ends of this spectrum. From an academic, comparative religions viewpoint, there is no basis for "prescribing" whether it is better for a religion to be highly unified, cohesive, monolithic, and lacking in internal religious diversity, or whether it is better to be fragmented, schismatic, diverse, multifaceted and abounding in variations on the same theme.
--------------------------------

Anyway, Adherents.com is an interesting site and a worthwhile starting place for discussing the statistics of religion. One will quickly discover that there are (in the words of some wise man or other) there are "lies", "damned lies", and "statistics".

This isn't always true but every grain of salt used with believing something should be dipped in the old adage first.

Regards,
Scott

benjosh

mormonman said:
Why is it so hard for other Christian denominations to accept that Chirst went to more than one nation of Jews to establish the Gospel? :confused:

Why is it so hard for some to believe Jesus/Messiah went to more than one nation?

Everybody happens to be in their own version of the one and only true church. So religious groups compete for who's got the real Jesus. And the real Jesus is the one who doesn't mess with their religious blind spots. So, they come and argue on the forum.

But, it doesn't have to be that way.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
The Bible stops at John, I believe his entries where the last. It is quite possible that Christ has appeared to others since then... and maybe still does. But who would believe someone that said they saw and talked to Christ ? ;)

Bangbang

Orichalcum said:
Probably so, but they were on the toilet or asleep at the time.
More likely an outhouse.......I had a great post written but decided to not hit the key for fear of problems so I settled for this.........
Well if he came to America they got his message all messed up and the white man would have burned him at the stake.