• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Christ appear to other nations?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is a joke. Set aside baseless apologetics and mindless speculation and you're left with ... nothing. The evidence that 'Christ appeared to other nations' is of precisely the same probative quality as the evidence that Nessie was spotted at Walgreens.

benjosh

Jayhawker Soule,

Is that Jayhawker, as in KU, Jayhawker?

Jayhawker Soule said:
This is a joke. Set aside baseless apologetics and mindless speculation and you're left with ... nothing. The evidence that 'Christ appeared to other nations' is of precisely the same probative quality as the evidence that Nessie was spotted at Walgreens.

I see you present yourself as a naturalist. I am not exactly sure of what that means to you. But, I will assume it is inline with my understanding of natural science.

What do you do with all the excursions into the realm of Intelligent design brought about by floks like Depok Chopra, Candace Pert, Fritjof and others?

Just curious. BenJosh

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
benjosh said:
What do you do with all the excursions into the realm of Intelligent design brought about by floks like Depok Chopra, Candace Pert, Fritjof and others?
"excursions into the realm of Intelligent design" :rolleyes: Show me a "realm of Intelligent design" and we'll talk.

benjosh

Jayhawker Soule said:
"excursions into the realm of Intelligent design" :rolleyes: Show me a "realm of Intelligent design" and we'll talk.

The workings of the human body in its "intelligent cells" as presented in Candace Pert's "Molecules of Emotion"

I am not going to convince you against your will.

If you want it you have to get it the Old Fashioned way. . . . . you must earn it.

BenJosh

Smoke

Done here.
mormonman said:
Why is it so hard for other Christian denominations to accept that Chirst went to more than one nation of Jews to establish the Gospel? :confused:
For the same reason it's hard for Non-Christians to believe it. Because there's simply no plausible evidence whatsoever that Native Americans (a) are of Jewish descent or (b) were ever visited by Jesus.

Why would Mormons expect the general public to accept the fantastic historical claims of their founder?

Bangbang

Jayhawker Soule said:
Nessie was spotted at Walgreens? Cool!

Popeyesays

mormonman said:
He didn't come to all of those people in a 3 day period. After he was resurrected He went to the Apostles, then He went to His "other sheep". He came once? Christ has been on the Earth many more times than one. For example he came to Saul on the way to Damascus and to John on the Island of Patmos.
He came in the flesh to neither Paul (Saul) nor to John the Divine. He came in visions, not flesh, and that is a subjective appearance. Jesus came in the flesh but once to this earth. Every thousand years or so His Spirit returns in a different vessel and the Christ comes again.

Regards,
Scott

benjosh

MidnightBlue said:
For the same reason it's hard for Non-Christians to believe it. Because there's simply no plausible evidence whatsoever that Native Americans (a) are of Jewish descent or (b) were ever visited by Jesus.

Why would Mormons expect the general public to accept the fantastic historical claims of their founder?

When you say no plausible record I have to ask you if you know anything about American History.

By your statement is obvious that you are speaking on something you have not studied.

If you are serious and want some sources I can point you to them.

BenJosh

Smoke

Done here.
benjosh said:
When you say no plausible record I have to ask you if you know anything about American History.
No, I know absolutely nothing about American history. Is that the answer you were expecting?

benjosh said:
By your statement is obvious that you are speaking on something you have not studied.
By your statement it's obvious that you're speaking of a person you know nothing about.

benjosh said:
If you are serious and want some sources I can point you to them.
Plausible sources? Fire away.

fromthe heart

Popeyesays said:
He came in the flesh to neither Paul (Saul) nor to John the Divine. He came in visions, not flesh, and that is a subjective appearance. Jesus came in the flesh but once to this earth.

Regards,
Scott
I absolutely concur with part listed above. When Jesus assended into Heaven to be with the Father he said he was leaving a comforter...the Holy Spirit to guide and attend to us. I also feel Jesus only came ONCE!

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Popeyesays said:
He came in the flesh to neither Paul (Saul) nor to John the Divine. He came in visions, not flesh, and that is a subjective appearance. Jesus came in the flesh but once to this earth. Every thousand years or so His Spirit returns in a different vessel and the Christ comes again.

Regards,
Scott
Ok, you people blast me for saying that Christ visited other nations, and I have scripture to back it up, such as the Book of Mormon and scriptures like John 10:16. Where in the Bible does it say that Christ will come in a different vessel every 1000 years? It doesn't.

Popeyesays

fromthe heart said:
I absolutely concur with part listed above. When Jesus assended into Heaven to be with the Father he said he was leaving a comforter...the Holy Spirit to guide and attend to us. I also feel Jesus only came ONCE!
Its always nice to reach consensus. I, however, believe that Jesus was promising another human to Manifest God like Christ had. When Christ describes the Comforter and the Spirit of Truth He speaks of One Who will speak as God directs Him to speak. The Holy Spirit does not speak at all, it envelopes all of creation, but it does not speak.

"16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you." Gospel of John

"4:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."
(King James Bible, John)

O look at it this way:
God is like the SUN, if we beheld It in all its glory, heat and radiance, we would instantly be consumed. Ninety-three million miles away, we can bask in the wramth of its rays, and these rays are like the Holy Spirit, They perfuse all of Creation. The Christ Spirit is like a mirror in which we can safely behold the Glory of God.

So, the Holy Spirit is with us always, even when the Christ Spirit does not dwell with man on this earth. The COmforter and the Spirit of Truth must be other Vessels in which we behold hte Glory of God.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

mormonman said:
Ok, you people blast me for saying that Christ visited other nations, and I have scripture to back it up, such as the Book of Mormon and scriptures like John 10:16. Where in the Bible does it say that Christ will come in a different vessel every 1000 years? It doesn't.
I'm not blasting you for anything. Your beliefs are your own, and its not up to me to change them, nor you to change mine.

But the purpose of discussion here is to share HOW we see these things. Hopefully we will find each other brethren in the process.

Regards,
Scott
"You have good intentions; your 93 purpose is the good pleasure of God; you desire to serve in the Kingdom of the Merciful One. Therefore, arise in the utmost power. Be in perfect unity. Never become angry with one another. Let your eyes be directed toward the kingdom of truth and not toward the world of creation. Love the creatures for the sake of God and not for themselves. You will never become angry or impatient if you love them for the sake of God. Humanity is not perfect. There are imperfections in every human being, and you will always become unhappy if you look toward the people themselves. But if you look toward God, you will love them and be kind to them, for the world of God is the world of perfection and complete mercy. Therefore, do not look at the shortcomings of anybody; see with the sight of forgiveness. The imperfect eye beholds imperfections. The eye that covers faults looks toward the Creator of souls. He created them, trains and provides for them, endows them with capacity and life, sight and hearing; therefore, they are the signs of His grandeur." (Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 92)

benjosh

MidnightBlue said:
No, I know absolutely nothing about American history. Is that the answer you were expecting?
By your statement it's obvious that you're speaking of a person you know nothing about.
Plausible sources? Fire away.

You are right, I know very little about you and perhaps I came on in a caustic manner. So, let's start this all over in a different tone. I don't want to fire away.

What I do want to ask you is how far and wide have you searched for plausible evidence that Native Americans (a) are of Jewish descent or (b) were ever visited by Jesus.

If you know the subject then please share what you know.
Have you studied it out? What are your sources?

Have you considered the writings of James Adair, Elias Boudinout, and the extent Christians in the late 1700's and early 1800's viewed the Indians?

Did the millineal hopes inherent in this religious nation have anything to do with so many people looking for all of Israel's gathering?

ANd, what is a beginning Quaker?

BenJosh

Popeyesays

benjosh said:
You are right, I know very little about you and perhaps I came on in a caustic manner. So, let's start this all over in a different tone. I don't want to fire away.

What I do want to ask you is how far and wide have you searched for plausible evidence that Native Americans (a) are of Jewish descent or (b) were ever visited by Jesus.

If you know the subject then please share what you know.
Have you studied it out? What are your sources?

Have you considered the writings of James Adair, Elias Boudinout, and the extent Christians in the late 1700's and early 1800's viewed the Indians?

Did the millineal hopes inherent in this religious nation have anything to do with so many people looking for all of Israel's gathering?

BenJosh
James Adair?
James Adair

Born: 1709
Died: 1783
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Hometown: County Antrim, Ireland
Career: Indian trader
Genres: History, Other Nonfiction
??????????????????????????? Is this the particular James Adair you mean? If so, he was not privy to any knowledge of genetics in his opinions.
----------------------
Elias Boudinot?
Elias Boudinot
a North Georgia Notable

Born 1800, Pine Log, Cherokee Nation East (now Georgia)
Died June 22, 1839, Park Hill, Cherokee Nation West (now Oklahoma)

[font=helvetica,arial]Editor of the Cherokee Phoenix, Leader of the Treaty Party
This the one in particular???????????? If so, same objection.​
---------------------​
Right up through Brigham Young and his immediate successors they had no knowledge of modern genetics and Y Chromosome and maternal mytochondrial genetic research.​
If these large cities from the times described in the BoM existed why have we found no archeological evidence of them??????? We have at least some archeological reference to the Norsemen in North America. Why not the cities of the BoM?​
Surely it is easier to track the lost tribes to Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Asia Minor than to the new world.​
Regards,​
Scott[/font]​

Smoke

Done here.
benjosh said:
Wishful speculation.

benjosh said:
I'm not sure what that means. If you're asking whether there's a connection between American Christian millenial fantasies and American Christian fantasies about the Hebrew origins of Native Americans, probably so.

benjosh said:
I only attended my first meeting for worship about a month ago, and am not a member of any local meeting, but I'm studying Quakerism and attempting to live in a Quaker manner, and I think I'll probably formally join the society at some point.

Smoke

Done here.
Popeyesays said:
Elias Boudinot?
Elias Boudinot
a North Georgia Notable

Born 1800, Pine Log, Cherokee Nation East (now Georgia)
Died June 22, 1839, Park Hill, Cherokee Nation West (now Oklahoma)

[font=helvetica,arial]Editor of the Cherokee Phoenix, Leader of the Treaty Party
This the one in particular???????????? If so, same objection.[/font]​
I think benjosh means another Elias Boudinot, who was a congressman from New Jersey. The Cherokee Elias Boudinot, brother of Stand Watie, was formerly known as Buck Watie. He met and admired the congressman, and received permission to adopt his name.​
The congressman knew no more about genetics than Adair, though; in fact, much of his argument was based on Adair's flawed reasoning.​