• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dharma

xkatz

In the two major Dharmic religions, Hinduism and Buddhism, there is an emphasis on the dharma (or truth). What does dharma in Hinduism and/or Buddhism really mean? Is the concept in dharma the same or different in Hinduism and Buddhism?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
In the two major Dharmic religions, Hinduism and Buddhism, there is an emphasis on the dharma (or truth). What does dharma in Hinduism and/or Buddhism really mean? Is the concept in dharma the same or different in Hinduism and Buddhism?

The "concept" of dharma may differ,but dharma itself is same.:)

Andal

resident hypnotist
Namaskar,

My understanding of Dharma is the eternal truth and also one's duty in life.

In Buddhism Dharma usually refers to the Buddha's teachings which also have an eternal nature.

Aum Hari Aum

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
xkatz, I think they call them all Dharmic religions because they share similar origins. Even though Dharma means eternal truth, all religions claim to hold that such truth. Probably someone somewhere decided to call these religions Dharmic. Of course, my knowledge on that is very limited so anyone feel free to correct me.

nameless

The Creator
Dharma - Path
Sanathana - Eternal
Buddha - Enlightened

Sanatana Dharma - path to eternity.
Buddha Dharma - path to become buddha

to become buddha is to become eternal, and to become eternal is to become buddha.
So i understand both to be the same.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Water is water.
Add tea leaves to water and you have "tea".
Add lemons and sugar to water and you have lemon-aid.
Water is the foundation of both.
The water was the same water, people just added different things to it to make it relevant to themselves.

Dharma is dharma.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend xkatz,

Dharma

Dharma is one for all human beings.
Dharma means law.
sanatan means eternal
sanatan dharma means eternal law.

Love & rgds

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
I think "truth" is an inadequate translation of dharma. Dharma also encompasses meanings like law, path, way, virtue, conduct, and so on.

Buddhism and Hinduism both are -- or can be -- ways of mindfulness. The considerable diversity of both makes it hard to be very specific. Some expressions of Buddhism are very similar to some expressions of Hinduism; some are very dissimilar to some expressions of Hinduism. To my way of thinking, they all (or can be) just different ways of being awake. Different expressions of the dharma are suited to different people.

TurkeyOnRye

Knowing and understanding the Dharma is fine, but like anything else of form, it exists in duality and is food for thought. Concern yourself with the One and all things will fall into place, even understanding the Dharma.

"Seek first the Kingdom of God, and all else shall be added unto you."
Mathew 6:33

Last edited:

Eschatas

Bhagavad Gits is perhaps one of the most essential sources for understanding the notion of Dharma in Hinduism. Any translation, save perhaps the ISKCON edition, will be useful. My recommendation against the ISKCON edition is that there are some organizationally geared translations and interpretations to the text provided which will likely give you the wrong impression as your first reading source.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Bhagavad Gits is perhaps one of the most essential sources for understanding the notion of Dharma in Hinduism. Any translation, save perhaps the ISKCON edition, will be useful. My recommendation against the ISKCON edition is that there are some organizationally geared translations and interpretations to the text provided which will likely give you the wrong impression as your first reading source.

I second that .Jai ISKCON.:D.IMHO,Dharma is not limited to dharmic religions.

Last edited by a moderator: