• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Lol, the hate spewed at Tucker Carlson in this thread is hilarious. I guess Tucker Carlson Derangement is a thing, too. :D

Some people have a healthy and understandable aversion to dishonest, dangerously unprincipled individuals whose propaganda contributes to the suffering of many people.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Maybe somebody hasn’t heard the recordings of him using white nationalist rhetoric, racist and homophobic language?

The dude’s objectively scum.
You mean this?

I don't think he said anything racist and is bringing up an issue that is worthy of discussion. If you watch the whole thing and not just clips and selective quotes from the anti-Fox News brigade, he says that it's a problem (illegal immigration) that effects all Americans and goes on about how it hurts black Americans.

As for the "homophobia", I don't expect a conservative to approve of homosexuality.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
As for the "homophobia", I don't expect a conservative to approve of homosexuality

Given that he's a public figure and not merely a conservative who has these beliefs privately, that's like saying "I don't expect a white supremacist to approve of other races." It neither explains nor justifies anything of importance; it's a mere statement of the obvious.

... that and many conservatives don't oppose legal equality for LGBT people even if their personal beliefs don't endorse homosexuality. Even among other conservatives, Tucker Carlson is an especially hateful and prejudiced individual.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
So, did you have a response to the criticism of Tucker Carlson other than the short one-liners and expressions of offense over others' objections to him?
Why don't you look above?

And since when is laughing at the ridiculousness of something an "expression of offense"? I find the over the top demonizing pearl clutching rhetoric used to be hilarious and bewildering. Lol. I've been watching this guy over the years since the 2000s and he is not shocking in the least. He's not even Ann Coulter. :D Even Rose McGowan goes on his show over CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Given that he's a public figure and not merely a conservative who has these beliefs privately, that's like saying "I don't expect a white supremacist to approve of other races." It neither explains nor justifies anything of importance; it's a mere statement of the obvious.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here or what you were trying to say with that horrible analogy.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Why don't you look above?

And since when is laughing at the ridiculousness of something an "expression of offense"? I find the over the top demonizing pearl clutching rhetoric used to be hilarious and bewildering. Lol. I've been watching this guy over the years since the 2000s and he is not shocking in the least. He's not even Ann Coulter. :D

I'm not sure what counts as "over-the-top demonizing" in your estimation, but if we put aside any tone perceived to be dramatic and focus on the substance--that is, strong objection to Carlson's rhetoric and bias--then I think there's quite a lot of merit to criticism of him and his publicly espoused opinions.

The difference between someone whose voice reaches millions of households and an average Joe on, say, RF or Facebook is significant. When someone like him opposes the basic rights of specific groups or says something that could directly or indirectly perpetuate harmful notions about them, he's doing far more damage than someone saying the exact same things in a less public capacity.

The intensity of my criticism of people like Tucker Carlson is simply proportional to their public reach and influence. Call it "demonization" or whatever else you will, but I believe influential public figures have an even larger responsibility than the average person to fact-check their views and ensure their influence doesn't contribute to anyone's struggles.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no idea what you're trying to say here or what you were trying to say with that horrible analogy.

So you have no idea what I'm trying to say but have no issue calling the analogy "horrible"? Surely you've concluded something about it if you've already formed an opinion of it.

My point is that you merely stated the obvious by ascribing Carlson's homophobia to his conservatism, which doesn't justify it in the slightest--even though, as I said, many conservatives are accepting of LGBT rights and aren't prejudiced. It seems to me an insult to conservatives to assume they're generally similar to someone as hateful and dishonest as Carlson is.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
So you have no idea what I'm trying to say but have no issue calling the analogy "horrible"? Surely you've concluded something about it if you've already formed an opinion of it.

My point is that you merely stated the obvious by ascribing Carlson's homophobia to his conservatism, which doesn't justify it in the slightest--even though, as I said, many conservatives are accepting of LGBT rights and aren't prejudiced. It seems to me an insult to conservatives to assume they're generally similar to someone as hateful and dishonest as Carlson is.
Supporting homosexuality is not a traditional conservative view, especially if they are religious. There's a disagreement over it. People can't even agree on what "LGBT rights" are or should be now, not even LGBT people.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Supporting homosexuality is not a traditional conservative view, especially if they are religious. There's a disagreement over it. People can't even agree on what "LGBT rights" are or should be now, not even LGBT people.

I'm aware of all of that. People are free to believe what they want, but as I said, once their beliefs enter the public sphere and have an influence on millions of people as well as certain groups (in this case, the LGBT community), they're fair game for strong criticism.

You generally won't see me criticize other members' beliefs against homosexuality or trans rights on RF nearly as intensely as I do the beliefs of the likes of Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro, and other influential public figures--despite the fact that I still strongly disagree with such beliefs. This is because the effects each of those individuals has on others are drastically different even if they share many of the same views as millions of other people. Simple as that.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I'm aware of all of that. People are free to believe what they want, but as I said, once their beliefs enter the public sphere and have an influence on millions of people as well as certain groups (in this case, the LGBT community), they're fair game for strong criticism.

You generally won't see me criticize other members' beliefs against homosexuality or trans rights on RF nearly as intensely as I do the beliefs of the likes of Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro, and other influential public figures--despite the fact that I still strongly disagree with such beliefs. This is because the effects each of those individuals has on others are drastically different even if they share many of the same views as millions of other people. Simple as that.
Well, you are surely free to criticize whoever you please, just as they have the right to hold whatever views they please. At least in America.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You mean this?

I don't think he said anything racist and is bringing up an issue that is worthy of discussion. If you watch the whole thing and not just clips and selective quotes from the anti-Fox News brigade, he says that it's a problem (illegal immigration) that effects all Americans and goes on about how it hurts black Americans.

As for the "homophobia", I don't expect a conservative to approve of homosexuality.

No, I was more referring to the time he credited whites for "creating civilization" and called Iraqis "semiliterate primitive monkeys" among other things.

I don't really feel the need to go deep on defending Carlson being scum; I find your judgment of political characters extremely dubious given your support for a certain obviously garbage person (edit for clarity: obviously Trump). On this particular topic to preserve our relationship I'm just going to have to pick my battles. Some things are so beyond the pale that if you don't get it, you won't get it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can God create a stone that He cannot lift?
Answer: no, the Omnipotent One cannot make
such a stone because it is a suicide, and the latter is sin. Any sin is an act of non-existence.
Because sin is emptiness, the absence of
any meaning, the God of Existence and living
does only existent actions. Satan, the evil spirit of non-existence and death, does the non-existent actions only: he is the father of sin. For example, the tobacco industry produces cancer cases. It serves the evil authorities to depopulate the planet.

The question about stone-lifting has hidden meaning, the skeptic asks can God lose divinity, own divine powers. All those Omnipotent Paradox formulations can be put into the question: can God commit suicide? But the answer is no, also because the Christian God is Omnipresent, and so, if He becomes dead in 2021, then He was dead when He was creating the Universe. But that is not possible, because the world exists now. Also because God is not mad and crazy. He is Spirit of Wisdom, mental Health, and Life, and so, can not commit suicide even in principle. He can do only reasonable actions, not the crazy ones. Therefore the German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche with his "God is Dead" must be understood not literally, he was referring to the modern and post-modern apostasy.
God cannot create infinity either so its not really something that is sustainable. God is dead makes perfect sense.

I prefer Aristotle anyways.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
No, I was more referring to the time he credited whites for "creating civilization" and called Iraqis "semiliterate primitive monkeys" among other things.

I don't really feel the need to go deep on defending Carlson being scum; I find your judgment of political characters extremely dubious given your support for a certain obviously garbage person (edit for clarity: obviously Trump). On this particular topic to preserve our relationship I'm just going to have to pick my battles. Some things are so beyond the pale that if you don't get it, you won't get it.
The quotes you mentioned are from a shock jock radio show with Bubba the Love Sponge that Carlson apparently called into. I haven't listened to the full audio clips for context so I can't comment on it, really. Shock jock radio culture was intentionally outrageous and non-PC by design. I used to listen to Howard Stern and the Opie and Anthony Show and they were like the Jerry Springer equivalent of radio. It was not for the faint of heart.

I find your judgement of political figures to be dubious, as well, but I have come to expect those things.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The quotes you mentioned are from a shock jock radio show with Bubba the Love Sponge that Carlson apparently called into. I haven't listened to the full audio clips for context so I can't comment on it, really. Shock jock radio culture was intentionally outrageous and non-PC by design. I used to listen to Howard Stern and the Opie and Anthony Show and they were like the Jerry Springer equivalent of radio. It was not for the faint of heart.

I find your judgement of political figures to be dubious, as well, but I have come to expect those things.

"Locker room talk" doesn't excuse racism and white nationalist rhetoric like "whites creating civilization," it reminds me of people blaming alcohol for doing extremely ****ty things. Sometimes people are just telling you exactly who they are.

But again, I shouldn't have this conversation with you if we're gonna be friends. I have very little tolerance or respect for some of these cretins (not conservatives in general, but some of these particular garbage people).

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
"Locker room talk" doesn't excuse racism and white nationalist rhetoric like "whites creating civilization," it reminds me of people blaming alcohol for doing extremely ****ty things. Sometimes people are just telling you exactly who they are.

But again, I shouldn't have this conversation with you if we're gonna be friends. I have very little tolerance or respect for some of these cretins (not conservatives in general, but some of these particular garbage people).
Did you listen to the entire audio of where these quotes are from?

DNB

Christian
Supposed, that Kirk Cameron is totally right, does the debate below shows the clear case for victory over aggressive atheism? If no, then why it is written "For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict."? Luke 21:15. Because the END is NEAR: "woe to those inhabiting the land and the sea, because the Devil did go down unto you, having great wrath, having known that he hath little time." Revelation 12:12.

Kirk Cameron is right, and Pierce Morgan sounded like an immature fool who can't appear to differentiate between the unfounded whims of a child, and that of an objective and reasonable adult.
Pierce should've at least acknowledged the peculiarity and unconventional aspect of such a notion as homosexuality, ...if not the appearance of it itself should be an indication of its abnormality. But, he was too biased and compromising to even recognize these axiomatic facts. In other words, Kirk should've been harder and more ridiculing towards him ('...really Pierce, c'mon?...').

Ingle was impetuously and unjustly excoriated by Downie. What a fascist approach to silence a detractor when the subject at hand is not, by the school's constitution, a mandatory belief. Downie should be fired!