• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deuteronomy 28

Muffled

Jesus in me
Points for recognizing the difference. The word for fear (PaḤaD) is found later in this same chapter in verses 66 and 67.

I wonder though. Isn't it weird when the condition for the curses in Deut. 28 is "not doing all the things of this Torah" and Christians only do some of the things, that they would still want to consider themselves bound by this treaty?

I don't believe we are bound by the agreement.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think that people will cherry pick anything in the bible to support their belief system, for me personally the book Deuteronomy is a backward thinking belief that may have served a purpose back years ago, but should not be used today.

I believe you have no rational for believing that it is backward thinking and is not useful today.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe that if a man keeps Deuteronomy 28 that they will receive the blessings even today.
Because Psalms 19:7 says that the law of Yahweh is perfect and refreshes the soul.
And Psalm 119:77 says that the law is a delight.
A man will have to show that the law of Yahweh is no longer perfect, refreshing, or a delight.

I do not believe that matters. What matters is whether it applies to a non-jew. I believe only a Christian can discern that.

OneThatGotAway

Servant of Yahweh God Almighty
OneThatGotAway said:
I believe that if a man keeps Deuteronomy 28 that they will receive the blessings even today.
Because Psalms 19:7 says that the law of Yahweh is perfect and refreshes the soul.
And Psalm 119:77 says that the law is a delight.
A man will have to show that the law of Yahweh is no longer perfect, refreshing, or a delight.

I do not believe that matters. What matters is whether it applies to a non-jew. I believe only a Christian can discern that.

It is written Exodus 12:49 that:
"One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you."
Therefore I believe that Deuteronomy 28 also applies to non-Jews.
And Christians have discerned that Deuteronomy 28 is good to follow for their health.
What Christians would considered it a curse to follow their God's law?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Then likewise you aren't bound by the curses.

I believe this is generally true in that the agreement is withthe nation of Israel. However I believe that evry nation whehter there is an agreement or not may come under the cursesfor breaking the laws. For that reson I believe the United States stands in judgement and has only du the hole more deeply lately so one can expect God's wrath to be displayed upon our nation. I believe 911 wa symptomatic of that.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I believe this is generally true in that the agreement is withthe nation of Israel. However I believe that evry nation whehter there is an agreement or not may come under the cursesfor breaking the laws. For that reson I believe the United States stands in judgement and has only du the hole more deeply lately so one can expect God's wrath to be displayed upon our nation. I believe 911 wa symptomatic of that.
The curses are a condition of the treaty. If there's no treaty, there is no reason to assume someone should receive those curses. You'd need a different set of curses that aren't part of the treaty for that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The curses are a condition of the treaty. If there's no treaty, there is no reason to assume someone should receive those curses. You'd need a different set of curses that aren't part of the treaty for that.

I believe God does not need an agreement to judge a nation. He had no agreement with Edom but He had no trouble judging Edom.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I believe I am not saying that. I am saying that Deuteronomy contains the wisdom of God and He confirms it.
This book is full of disgusting backward thinking laws, thank god we don't have these laws today, well in most parts of the world.

rusra02

Premium Member
Deuteronomy 28 is used in various churches to make Christians aware that if they are disobedient to God, curses will follow.
How, if so, does that text apply to Christians today? After all, Zjesus died for our sins and there's forgiveness of sins through that?
Then why is that text still used to submit people into obedience? God wants us to please Him but not out of fear but because we love Him!
I agree with you that God wants us to serve him out of love, not morbid fear. The Israelites were in a special covenant with God, and Deuteronomy 28 recited the bad effects of failing to keep that covenant ( and the blessings from keeping it.) it does have meaning for Christians as well, in that "Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us upon whom the end of the systems of things have come." (1 Corinthians 10:11) God does not change, so the principles behind the Law help us understand Jehovah better, IMO.

outhouse

Atheistically
First of all, the ' fear of God ' is Not meant in meaning being afraid

Sorry but in context in their time when this was written, fear was being used and they wanted you to be very very afraid.

Israelites rallied around the warrior god concept before the exile, and we had monotheistic reforms by the government. Not all the people were on board many were not. Text in D was used to stop polytheism and henotheism and monolatry used by many Israelites despite the king redacting text to one god.

outhouse

Atheistically
I agree with you that God wants us to serve him out of love, not morbid fear.

Plenty of text shows a warrior violent deity concept and plenty of reasons are given to fear him.

The whole of Christian text in context is to hurry up and join the movement or you will burn in hell forever.

The fear was written in rhetorically, and without a days study on the prose the text was written and edited in, many will never understand the early text as written.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not the whole Christian contest is burn forever in hell because the Bible's hell is just the stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead.
Rather, it is the non-biblical teaching of forever burning that is being taught by ' imitation Christians ' as Scripture.
Biblical hellfire comes from the word Gehenna, and Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed Not burning forever.
The wicked will be destroyed forever (annihilated ) - Psalms 92:7

- Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13; John 11:11-14; Acts of the Apostles 24:15

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe this is generally true in that the agreement is with the nation of Israel. However I believe that every nation whehter there is an agreement or not may come under the curses for breaking the laws. For that reason I believe the United States stands in judgement and has only du the hole more deeply lately so one can expect God's wrath to be displayed upon our nation. I believe 911 wa symptomatic of that.

Is it so much the United States or rather is it Christendom which comprises a large part of the US ?
Christendom (so-called Christian but really ' in name only ' ) is first to be adversely judged by God -> 1 Peter 4:17-18
After the political realm goes against the religious realm, 'then' those against God's kingdom government in the hands of Christ Jesus as King (Ruler ) of God's governmental kingdom will come to their final end . - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:11; Revelation 19:15

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
This book is full of disgusting backward thinking laws, thank god we don't have these laws today, well in most parts of the world.

What do you find backward thinking about the 19th chapter of Leviticus ?

What do you find as backward thinking about the Jubilee Years ?

outhouse

Atheistically
Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed Not burning forever.

There is no evidence of such a place as described in one of the worlds largest archeological excavations. In other words they dug up where it should be located and it was not there.

But yes as written it was a dump on fire where sinners bodies were dumped.

Its my opinion its metaphor and allegory by some of the NT Hellenistic authors far removed from Jerusalem, for the pits many of the punished were thrown into where dogs and birds ravaged the remains.

None of your OT links refer to Gehenna do they?

Last edited: