• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deuteronomy 22:5, how shall a Christian/Jew dress?

I'm not sure if this is better placed in the Debate section, so moderators, please place this in the appropriate forum if it is inappropriate here...

I was wondering about how a Christian or a Jew should dress in light of this verse:

"A woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment; for whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto Jehovah thy God."

-- Deuteronomy 22:5

I know that certain Anabaptist traditions do assign specific dressing for both men and women, to the point that women are to never wear pants, and men should never wear dresses or skirts... but how much of this verse is even applicable, and why, if not, do some Christian groups still follow this injunction in the Hebrew Scriptures?

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
He's asking not preaching, Do not post if you do not wish to contribute.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I'm not sure if this is better placed in the Debate section, so moderators, please place this in the appropriate forum if it is inappropriate here...

I was wondering about how a Christian or a Jew should dress in light of this verse:

"A woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment; for whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto Jehovah thy God."

I know that certain Anabaptist traditions do assign specific dressing for both men and women, to the point that women are to never wear pants, and men should never wear dresses or skirts... but how much of this verse is even applicable, and why, if not, do some Christian groups still follow this injunction in the Hebrew Scriptures?

This commandment was part of the Mosaic Law. The law of Moses was very strict and included what today seem as severe punishments. God gave that law to the children of Israel to teach obedience. Jesus Christ came and fulfilled the law of Moses. It's no longer applicable today. As a guideline, my church teaches that men and women should dress modestly and not be too showy.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
This commandment was part of the Mosaic Law. The law of Moses was very strict and included what today seem as severe punishments. God gave that law to the children of Israel to teach obedience. Jesus Christ came and fulfilled the law of Moses. It's no longer applicable today. As a guideline, my church teaches that men and women should dress modestly and not be too showy.

So men can now cross dress since the Law is fulfilled? I highly disagree, but I can see why this view may be popular with some.... The word "fulfilled" doesn't mean "Do away with". Personally, I think women aren't even supposed to wear business pants.

60241.jpg

Last edited:

Levite

Higher and Higher

Technically, this is a law that remains in force in halachah (Jewish Law), but outside the Orthodox world, it is loosely attended to, in light of the fact that what constitutes "male" or "female" clothing is entirely dependent upon the society in which one is moving, and the whims of fashion in that society.

Technically, this is a law that remains in force in halachah (Jewish Law), but outside the Orthodox world, it is loosely attended to, in light of the fact that what constitutes "male" or "female" clothing is entirely dependent upon the society in which one is moving, and the whims of fashion in that society.

Well, I always understood that wearing the kippah was a distinctly male thing, and women have their own headcoverings (although I've seen female kippahs).

And I think there is a large difference between a 'robe' and a 'dress', lol. For example, at my temple the Sunday standard for men are dhotis and kurtas, and women should wear saris. Of course, some will come in jeans or whatever is comfortable, but otherwise the temple standard still stands for formalities and the temple programs.

Plus, even if we were to even go further, it would be difficult to wear long skirts and keep one's job. Most job uniforms these days call for women to wear jeans or pants of some sort.

sadiq

Yes wearing a Kippah is a male thing. Some Jews who decided to reinterpret things (which did not need reinterpreting as they are quite clear) decided Women can also wear Kippahs and become Rabbis and cantors in the synagogue.

Wearing a Kippah is more of a tradition laid by Shulhan Aruh(Note they stressed that only men should wear it) and is said to be a "Midat Hasidut" meaning it's considered a positive thing to do yet not a requirement.
Nowdays you won't find any Jews in Israel who pray without a Kippah and most Religious Jews(Except the Radical Haredim who wear their sorcerer hats or whatever) wear one at all times.

Most Jews of the "Religious Zionism" camp do not dictate what their women wear seeing as: (Just as Levite said) what constitutes "male" or "female" clothing is entirely dependent upon the society in which one is a part of yet most of them choose to dress conservatively.

On the other hand Ultra-Orthodox(Haredim again) women dress conservatively and many wear clothing reminiscent of a slightly more lenient Burqa.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yes wearing a Kippah is a male thing. Some Jews who decided to reinterpret things (which did not need reinterpreting as they are quite clear) ...
To reinterpret is to interpret again, an act that may be motivated/warranted, not by the unclarity of the earlier interpretation, but by a perceived dissonance between past practices and current ethical standards.

sadiq

To reinterpret is to interpret again, an act that may be motivated/warranted, not by the unclarity of the earlier interpretation, but by a perceived dissonance between past practices and current ethical standards.

Whatever floats your boat. Let's not go there, Not the point of this thread.

Last edited:
Yes wearing a Kippah is a male thing. Some Jews who decided to reinterpret things (which did not need reinterpreting as they are quite clear) decided Women can also wear Kippahs and become Rabbis and cantors in the synagogue.

Wearing a Kippah is more of a tradition laid by Shulhan Aruh(Note they stressed that only men should wear it) and is said to be a "Midat Hasidut" meaning it's considered a positive thing to do yet not a requirement.
Nowdays you won't find any Jews in Israel who pray without a Kippah and most Religious Jews(Except the Radical Haredim who wear their sorcerer hats or whatever) wear one at all times.

Most Jews of the "Religious Zionism" camp do not dictate what their women wear seeing as: (Just as Levite said) what constitutes "male" or "female" clothing is entirely dependent upon the society in which one is a part of yet most of them choose to dress conservatively.

On the other hand Ultra-Orthodox(Haredim again) women dress conservatively and many wear clothing reminiscent of a slightly more lenient Burqa.

I've seen Jewish women wear tichels! The way the Jewish women dress seem much more beautiful to me than any of the Anabaptists with very plain patterned dresses.

Scott C.

Just one guy
So men can now cross dress since the Law is fulfilled? I highly disagree, but I can see why this view may be popular with some.... The word "fulfilled" doesn't mean "Do away with". Personally, I think women aren't even supposed to wear business pants.

60241.jpg

It depends what you mean by cross dress. Clothes that are "female" and "male" seems cultural rather than doctrinal.

Rakhel

"sorcerer hats" I like that. A lot.

But as to the women within Orthodox haredi communities...I call them cookie cutters. They all look alike. From the color and style of the wigs right down to the shoes their kids wear.

Scott C.

Just one guy
But would a good female Latter-day Saint come to Sacrament Meeting in a woman's business suit and pants, and be allowed to do so? :p

That's a good question. When I was younger, women were not allowed in the chapel without a dress. That was changed many years ago (not that I'm old). Women almost always wear dresses to church and men usually wear slacks, dress shirt, and tie. But yes a woman can come to church in jeans and will be allowed there.

If I showed up to church in a dress, that would mostly likely be perceived as inappropriate cross dressing :). But, if I were in a culture where men wore dresses, not to cross dress, but as normal male attire, there would be no problem for a man to wear a dress to church.

So, my church frowns on cross dressing, if a man or woman is clearly crossing cultural boundaries to appear as the opposite sex. Those boundaries have shifted in the U.S. over the past years, in my view.

I think that the specifics are driven by culture and some guiding gospel principles, such as modesty and respect for gender.

Last edited: