• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe Your Childhood...

Milton Platt

Well, grew up in relatively small town (40,000 or so). Was always socially awkward. Lived in the same house until my last year in high school, then moved one street over. My grandfather lived right behind us, two aunts lived adjacent to him. We had chickens, ducks, rabbits, quail even though we were in an urban setting. Family was somewhat poor, so we fished and crabbed a lot (cheaper to catch your food than to buy it) Used to drive to the coast on a Saturday morning and buy shrimp right off the incoming boats for about 50 cents a pound. Fish was even cheaper. Oysters in the shell were about $10 for a 50 lb sack. The good old days.
Stayed out late (about 9 PM or so) and played with the neighborhood kids. Nobody even thought about kidnapping or gun violence.
Got to stay up extra time to watch The Twilight Zone in black and white.
Visited maternal grandparents in Arkansas most summers where I worked on the farm. Planted, chopped, and picked cotton. Harvested potatoes, corn. Would show up with others in cotton fields at dawn and work until it was too dark to see. Made $10 per day. Excited to have so much money.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, grew up in relatively small town (40,000 or so). Was always socially awkward. Lived in the same house until my last year in high school, then moved one street over. My grandfather lived right behind us, two aunts lived adjacent to him. We had chickens, ducks, rabbits, quail even though we were in an urban setting. Family was somewhat poor, so we fished and crabbed a lot (cheaper to catch your food than to buy it) Used to drive to the coast on a Saturday morning and buy shrimp right off the incoming boats for about 50 cents a pound. Fish was even cheaper. Oysters in the shell were about $10 for a 50 lb sack. The good old days.
Stayed out late (about 9 PM or so) and played with the neighborhood kids. Nobody even thought about kidnapping or gun violence.
Got to stay up extra time to watch The Twilight Zone in black and white.
Visited maternal grandparents in Arkansas most summers where I worked on the farm. Planted, chopped, and picked cotton. Harvested potatoes, corn. Would show up with others in cotton fields at dawn and work until it was too dark to see. Made $10 per day. Excited to have so much money.
I give up..... :emojconfused:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Sorry about the skull cracking thing. Geniuses are not usually popular people, at least not while they are alive. Why is that???

It's a peculiar kind of abuse.

In my case, I was particularly unpopular because I was from ‘a broken home’ - circa 1960 there were very few single mothers, and they were severely stigmatised - but I came first in almost every test I ever sat in primary school (I came second in a maths exam in fifth class).
The other kids were getting stick from their parents, because they weren’t doing as well as a kid from a loser household. My mother was the cleaner in some of their homes, and their parents were paying for extra tuition,,,and I was defying the social order.

That’s why I became a teenage drunk. I learned to fail miserably in high school.

Apart from that, people are frightened of geniuses. One reason, I suspect, is that many geniuses are on the Aspergers spectrum. Sheldon Cooper. That means that many geniuses simply don’t get normal social cues and role play, so they are intrinsically outsiders....and yet they are intellectually superior (for what it’s worth) which is hard for the statistically normal to reconcile.

So...fear and envy cover it.

BTW, I am at the lower end of genius, so I can do an almost undetectable performance of being an average bozo.

Last edited: