• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demons

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What does your religion say about demons?

NB not interested in 'prove demons exist first'.

Thanks.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There are Asuras in my religion.

They are not quite the equivalent of the Abrahamic demons, and are more of another type of being. Some can be terrifying in appearance and malicious, but some are noble and even holy.

Some of the notable ones were Mahishasura, the demon who's death by Durga's hands is celebrated at Navaratri.

durga-puja-story.jpg

But then you have Prahlada, the son of a Asura king who, despite his father's wishes, refused to stop worshipping Vishnu. His father tried many times to kill him, but failed. In the end, it is Vishnu who stepped forward to kill his Asura devotee's father, in the form of Narasimha. We honor Prahlada at Holi.
nrsimha2.jpg
I'd say most of them fall in between this kind of maliciousness and austerity, though.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
My religion says they're man made fiction similar to vampires, werewolves, boogey men and bunyips.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are Asuras in my religion.

They are not quite the equivalent of the Abrahamic demons, and are more of another type of being. Some can be terrifying in appearance and malicious, but some are noble and even holy.

Some of the notable ones were Mahishasura, the demon who's death by Durga's hands is celebrated at Navaratri.

View attachment 71720

But then you have Prahlada, the son of a Asura king who, despite his father's wishes, refused to stop worshipping Vishnu. His father tried many times to kill him, but failed. In the end, it is Vishnu who stepped forward to kill his Asura devotee's father, in the form of Narasimha. We honor Prahlada at Holi.
View attachment 71721
I'd say most of them fall in between this kind of maliciousness and austerity, though.
This always interests me, as a former Zoroastrian, the Ahuras (Asuras, to Dharmics) were good and the Daevas were bad.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm irreligious. I believe that what people typically call "demons" are most likely manifestations of various mental phenomena (not necessarily mental illness, however), whether known or unknown to science.

I remain open to the idea that other beings exist in this world, but I don't find it likely because the human brain is extremely complex and may well suffice to explain the perceived evidence of demons. I also don't think they would be supernatural if they existed. By definition, anything existing in this world would be of the natural world and therefore not "supernatural."

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Thanks.
"You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons."

"But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,"

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
This always interests me, as a former Zoroastrian, the Ahuras (Asuras, to Dharmics) were good and the Daevas were bad.

I've heard that, and found it curious as well.

I will note that its hard to look at either the entire race of devas, or the entire race of asuras and declare them good or bad. Indra is king of the Devas, and isn't really known for his pious behaviors. Prahlada isn't the only decent asura. Its said that an asura's nature is more tamasic, and that a deva's nature is more sattvic, but that doesn't mean individual asuras or individual devas are always overcome with these natures.

I cannot remember where I read it now(there's a lot of scriptures in Hinduism), but an asura asks Vishnu why he so fiercely defends the devas, and not them. He's supposed to be natural, they say! He simply states that now is time for the devas to rule the heavens, but their turn will come, too, and then he will defend them instead.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard that, and found it curious as well.

I will note that its hard to look at either the entire race of devas, or the entire race of asuras and declare them good or bad. Indra is king of the Devas, and isn't really known for his pious behaviors. Prahlada isn't the only decent asura. Its said that an asura's nature is more tamasic, and that a deva's nature is more sattvic, but that doesn't mean individual asuras or individual devas are always overcome with these natures.

I cannot remember where I read it now(there's a lot of scriptures in Hinduism), but an asura asks Vishnu why he so fiercely defends the devas, and not them. He's supposed to be natural, they say! He simply states that now is time for the devas to rule the heavens, but their turn will come, too, and then he will defend them instead.
Iirc the Ahuras and Daevas are the same but just with the names switched, so what Dharmics call Devas the Zoroastrians call Ahuras. I could be wrong tho, it's been a while.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Question out of ignorance from me (since I can't add too much to this topic)...

People often answer these questions based on their take on religious teachings, but I think the amount of specificity and commonality on demons, and what they are in detail varies between religions.

If any are willing to go a little beyond what they think their religion says about demons to indicate how much of that is scriptural, dogmatic or defined, and how much is extrapolated more independently, I'd find it super interesting.

@Rival I don't think that takes away from the OP at all...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Question out of ignorance from me (since I can't add too much to this topic)...

People often answer these questions based on their take on religious teachings, but I think the amount of specificity and commonality on demons, and what they are in detail varies between religions.

If any are willing to go a little beyond what they think their religion says about demons to indicate how much of that is scriptural, dogmatic or defined, and how much is extrapolated more independently, I'd find it super interesting.

@Rival I don't think that takes away from the OP at all...
Yes, this would be interesting.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Demons or daimons are viewed in the classic Greek context as tutelary deities/spirits. Not any different than spiritual guides, guardian angels or even patron saints.

Devils, the root words being daeva and later Germanic deffel/deófol, are similar but higher powers. They are older, often obscured deities, sometimes maligned and forbidden by other religions. They are responsible for forces in nature and the muses behind development and progression.

Both are related. Both have been maligned. They have been corrupted and exaggerated by many modern religions.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Thanks.
In Christianity there are two positions:

1) Fallen angels
2) spirits of disembodied creatures that existed before the creation of Adam and Eve.

Either position would hold to the thought that they can cause mental issues, sickness, deafness, muteness and other things (although that isn't suggesting that every mental issue, sickness et al is cause by a demon)