• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demons, is there any evidence they even exist?

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is very well-known that eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable, and that analogy doesn't work anyway. Where are the peer-reviewed scholarly articles on demons? Surely if they existed, scientists would be researching them.
I believe you must have lived in a cave. Scientists are predisposed to not believe in demons and so would not study them.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Couldn't agree with you more - when one figures out how to solve the problem of sibling rivalry, spousal abuse, neighbour feuds, colleague competition, etc. then, and only then, will maybe the nations have hope of getting along - either way, I'm not holding my breathe...
...for not everyone actually wants peace and equality!
I believe there is a lady in church who tells me to behave myself but I am not disposed to do that. However I did refrain at the last weks Bible study from mentioning re-incarnation again since it bugs the pastor. Usually I don't show that much restraint.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I already answered this, I thought. In general no, I don't believe them. Though I'd want to evaluate claims case by case rather than write people off automatically.
Since i know the dead are dead and cannot/do not communicate with the living or anyone else, if a person says he communicates with the dead or hears the voice of a dead person, I know he is not telling me the truth. He may be hearing "voices," but they're surely not those of dead persons.

DNB

Christian
Gratz, you completely missed (or ignored...) the points I made.
It's like talking to a wall.

And those "spiritual forces" are man's own psych.
You are not appreciating the deranged aspect of these characteristics. Your Freudian logic has no potency to comprehend the truly sinister nature of what we're talking about, or what's going on in the world.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Since i know the dead are dead and cannot/do not communicate with the living or anyone else, if a person says he communicates with the dead or hears the voice of a dead person, I know he is not telling me the truth. He may be hearing "voices," but they're surely not those of dead persons.
Why do you think that the dead are dead and cannot/do not communicate with the living or anyone else?
Is that belief based upon the following verse?

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Of course a dead body does not know anything, it is dead. But after it dies the spirit leaves the body and it is the spirit that the psychic mediums are communicating with. They don't necessarily hear physical voices, as that's not how spirits communicate. Of course I am no expert on this since I am not a psychic medium. @Sgt. Pepper knows a lot more about this than I do.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Of course a dead body does not know anything, it is dead. But after it dies the spirit leaves the body and it is the spirit that the psychic mediums are communicating with.

Or so those charlatans claim.
But whenever they are put to a proper test, they are quickly exposed as the charlatans that they are. Every single time.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Why do you think that the dead are dead and cannot/do not communicate with the living or anyone else?
Is that belief based upon the following verse?

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Of course a dead body does not know anything, it is dead. But after it dies the spirit leaves the body and it is the spirit that the psychic mediums are communicating with. They don't necessarily hear physical voices, as that's not how spirits communicate. Of course I am no expert on this since I am not a psychic medium. @Sgt. Pepper knows a lot more about this than I do.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank you for your support, my friend. I sincerely appreciate it. Second, I'm not at all interested in defending myself against skeptics. I don't argue or debate with skeptics about my mediumship, my experiences as a medium, or my experiences as a paranormal investigator. As I previously stated in my thread, I have no interest whatsoever in convincing a hardened skeptic that my mediumship or the paranormal are real. A skeptic's disbelief or disapproval doesn't alter my reality, and they have never walked a mile in my shoes and experienced what I have for the past forty-three years.

As I've already mentioned, some Christians have expressed to me that the accuracy of my reading has caused them to reconsider their belief in the Bible and the afterlife, while some non-Christians have expressed similar sentiments regarding their skepticism about the supernatural and the afterlife. Finally, despite all the skepticism and criticism, I've learned to move on with my life because being a psychic medium is who I am, and I can't simply turn off my mediumship when it is inconvenient or uncomfortable for me or others, then turn it back on when I need to communicate with and interact with spirits.

The charlatans are exposed but the legitimate psychics are not exposed, they are confirmed.

I'm re-posting my response to @George-ananda in my thread because I believe it's also a good response to your post.

Yes, it is a personal choice. I've persuaded skeptics to believe in the possibility of an afterlife or to become believers by allowing them to investigate a haunted location with my ghost-hunting equipment. While my ghost-hunting equipment has been useful in persuading skeptics, I've discovered that the most effective way to persuade a skeptic that there are earthbound spirits and an afterlife is to give them a reading if the opportunity arises and a spirit asks me to deliver a message to them. But I don't approach random people and tell them I have a message from their deceased loved one because it would be awkward for both of us, second, they'd probably think I'm crazy, and third, I never force my mediumship abilities on others. I will occasionally give someone a reading if I believe they will be open to it, but I won't press the issue if the person isn't willing to listen. I will respect their decision.

Being an empath is especially helpful for me because it lets me judge how emotionally open someone is to getting a message from a loved one who has died. If I get the impression that the person is open to receiving a message from a deceased loved one, I will ask them to speak with me privately and request that they not tell anyone who I am because I value my privacy. Naturally, the person is skeptical at first and doesn't believe me until I tell them something that only they and their deceased loved one(s) knew, such as a specific date and specific details about a significant event in their lives, the first and last name of their deceased and living relatives, and specific information about their deceased or living relatives. At that point, they were convinced that my mediumship is genuine, as I couldn't have known the specific personal details that I shared with them. In other words, I don't give cold readings.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe in demonic possession?
The point of this thread and what you are claiming is independent of what I believe.

You keep claiming evidence for something, but you don't seem to be able to provide that evidence. You claim demons are at once immaterial and material. It can't be both.

If I believe in it or don't doesn't make a bit of difference to what you fail to support.

Do you make major purchases without any knowledge of what you are purchasing? Would you buy a car or house just on the say so of some random individual that can't show you either? My believing the seller has a house or a car for sale doesn't have any impact on whether the seller does or doesn't.

You claim there is evidence for demons and I want to see that evidence. Not ice cream or sundaes or big, fat, juicy steaks or mental illness or crime, or people being mean to each other. Unambiguous, physical, objective evidence that anyone can see without first having to believe.

And none of that spiritual discernment claim either. You would have to demonstrate to me and everyone here that you have that too. You could just think you do or be claiming it to fit into a group for all anyone knows.

We want evidence for the claims people make. Not just smoke and mirrors and diversions.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
The point of this thread and what you are claiming is independent of what I believe.

You keep claiming evidence for something, but you don't seem to be able to provide that evidence. You claim demons are at once immaterial and material. It can't be both.

If I believe in it or don't doesn't make a bit of difference to what you fail to support.

Do you make major purchases without any knowledge of what you are purchasing? Would you buy a car or house just on the say so of some random individual that can't show you either? My believing the seller has a house or a car for sale doesn't have any impact on whether the seller does or doesn't.

You claim there is evidence for demons and I want to see that evidence. Not ice cream or sundaes or big, fat, juicy steaks or mental illness or crime, or people being mean to each other. Unambiguous, physical, objective evidence that anyone can see without first having to believe.

And none of that spiritual discernment claim either. You would have to demonstrate to me and everyone here that you have that too. You could just think you do or be claiming it to fit into a group for all anyone knows.

We want evidence for the claims people make. Not just smoke and mirrors and diversions.

Winner frubal.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
No, it's really not.
People claiming to believe in demons can't provide one bit of evidence for demons or the action of demons, so clearly what a person believes has no relevance on what they can demonstrate.

What I believe is not the subject of this thread and not up for discussion. Period. Live with that.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
People claiming to believe in demons can't provide one bit of evidence for demons or the action of demons, so clearly what a person believes has no relevance on what they can demonstrate.

What I believe is not the subject of this thread and not up for discussion. Period. Live with that.
You have your opinion and one needs to justify a belief or lack thereof. So if a person calls himself a Christian then that in itself would enjoin a person to justify that belief. IMO. Maybe not yours. OK, not maybe. Definitely it's not your opinion. Seems some people like to keep really quiet when it comes to examining their own reasoning...:)