• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy in the Arab world is a threat to the US

Sahar

I think he knows that.
Really? Are you his official spokesman or something? If so I hope you tell us why did he say false things that never happened like:
If you want Democracy then stop voting in regimes like the Islamic Brotherhood, and vote for someone more moderate.

If you want Democracy then stop voting in regimes like the Islamic Brotherhood, and vote for someone more moderate.

Do you think his above assertions are true?

Also there are reasons behind their prosecution as they are tied to various terrorist groups and the brotherhood itself is banned as a terrorist organization in certain countries.
The MB is banned as a terrorist organization in what countries? Can you enlighten us?

Many Sages One Truth

Hahaha! How old are you sweetie? :)

26, why you ask? :)

Is that the best comeback you have? I know Middle Eastern countries keep their citizens down and uneducated, and teach them to hate America, but that's just because they don't want their citizens empowered like Americans are.

We have libraries, education programs, etc.

Sahar

[The Muslim Brotherhood is] a textbook example of how to survive and prosper in highly unfavourable political conditions

BBC News - Egypt secularists and liberals afraid of democracy?
"In a stark contrast of 1952, the Islamists are playing the role of the democrats, and the liberals are calling for the army to stay in power." What is going on in Egypt is really ironic. The secularists including the liberals want the military to say in power for a longer time, moreover they call for issuing the so-called "supra-constitutional principles" that govern the coming constitution and without returning to the people.

They defend a dictatorial procedure and imposing "supra-constitutional prinicples" formed by a minority on the majority. What is more disastrous that the army also implies or say directly that it will defend these principles, in other words, they say they will have a political authority that makes them above the people.
And I heard that they are thinking to actually add an article that says the army has the right to interfere to protect the "non-religious nature of the state".

In other words, we are going into another military tyrant rule with the support of the liberals (and I have no doubt with the support of the USA).

I really think we need a second revolution to stop the incoming disaster.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did I miss something? I didn't know the Muslim Brotherhood was a sealed deal with Egypt just yet... at least I'm hoping that it's not for Egyptians' sake. They deserve stronger civil liberties; not just a new tyranny in the form of theocracy.

Actually last i heard, the MB weren't running for the next presidential elections to start with. I might have missed something too though, i guess.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mubarak was the only one capable of keeping the extremists under a leash.

What are you basing this on, that he is the "only one" capable of that?

What was that 'leash' and who was targeted with it?

If you try to dig up some more reliable info, you'd realize that a lot of what was considered "keeping a leash on extremists" was actually persecution of anybody who seemed "too" religious.

Unless the young revolutionaries take their revolution back from its new Populist-Islamocentrist leadership

The revolution didn't and doesn't have any leader whatsoever.

lunakilo

Hey! You guys!

STRAWMAN!!!

The OP is NOT about whether or not the arabs are to blame for the trouble they are in.

The OP is about the USA, more precisely about democracy in the arab world being a thread to the USA.
It is about the claim that the USA prefer friendly dictators to democratically elected government
"it doesn't matter what the population thinks as long as they are under control"

lunakilo

Personally I think the guy in the video makes some good points.

I don't know who is is, and I don't think that really matters. What matters is that what he says doesn't sound stupid to me.

Many Sages One Truth

Sahar I notice you didn't respond to the other part of what I said. Do people in Islamic countries like being kept down and under-educated just so they can live in a theocratic society?

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
What are you basing this on, that he is the "only one" capable of that?

What was that 'leash' and who was targeted with it?

If you try to dig up some more reliable info, you'd realize that a lot of what was considered "keeping a leash on extremists" was actually persecution of anybody who seemed "too" religious.

The revolution didn't and doesn't have any leader whatsoever.
Yes i know he and Omar Suleiman pretty much targeted every "overtly religious" person.

And as far as i know the revolution consisted in large part of Egyptian youth including female participants along with Islamists.
By the way the MB is banned in Russia as a terrorist organization as they coordinated the creation of several Terrorist organizations in Russia and outside of Russia.

Last edited:

Landerage

Araknor
Sahar I notice you didn't respond to the other part of what I said. Do people in Islamic countries like being kept down and under-educated just so they can live in a theocratic society?
Those who sets limit to education, are in direct diobey what Islam taught us, and it's to increase knowledge all the time. "Knowledge is light", "say God increase my knowledge" those are Islam principles. Many arab countries had tyrant goverments, and education was a threat that could end them up, but that doesn't relate to Islam in any way. And education was the primary reason for the current revolutions in arab country, and all is changing for the better as I see it, and Islam was definitely a motivation for it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Personally I think the guy in the video makes some good points.

I don't know who is is, and I don't think that really matters. What matters is that what he says doesn't sound stupid to me.
That is partly why you have to be careful around Chomsky. He is far from being a stupid man. What may be helpful in understanding his comments is his seething hatred for the American political system, the "western" media and capitalist systems, relentlessly stated throughout the course of several decades. Chomsky is a self-described Anarcho-syndicalist which is about as radically left wing as one can get without being into violet revolutionary jockstraps. In short, a brilliant mind, addled by what could be described as "Leftist Derangement Syndrome".

Last edited:

MissAlice

Well I'm not too crazy about our American political system either. Seems to me it is becoming apparent that it is not working for the common welfare for those of us who cannot afford it. Just my two cents from a simpleton.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
"In a stark contrast of 1952, the Islamists are playing the role of the democrats, and the liberals are calling for the army to stay in power." What is going on in Egypt is really ironic. The secularists including the liberals want the military to say in power for a longer time, moreover they call for issuing the so-called "supra-constitutional principles" that govern the coming constitution and without returning to the people.

...which is what the Muslim Brotherhood did in 1952, according to the article. It appears that the Muslim Brotherhood tried to stall for time so that they might be more successful at implementing theocracy instead of having a secular state back then, but you don't decry their actions back then -- why are you decrying the actions of the secularists for trying to stall for time instead of having a theocracy now if you're not going to decry the actions of the MB in 1952?

Sahar said:
And I heard that they are thinking to actually add an article that says the army has the right to interfere to protect the "non-religious nature of the state".

I certainly hope for the sake of the Egyptian people that the state is non-religious, though I hope it never has to involve military intervention -- that does seem a little over the top!

Sahar said:
In other words, we are going into another military tyrant rule with the support of the liberals (and I have no doubt with the support of the USA).

I really think we need a second revolution to stop the incoming disaster.

The "disaster" will be theocracy if the MB is allowed to implement it. Theocracy in Egypt will ruin lives. There's no need for it. Let Egypt be secular and free and everyone wins. I'm not saying let it be a puppet of the West -- in fact, I hope that it's not. Let Egypt be a secular and free state that can become a beacon to all those states in the area toiling under brutal dictatorships and petty theocracies to say "huh, Egypt did it -- we can do it too!"

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Hey! You guys!

STRAWMAN!!!

The OP is NOT about whether or not the arabs are to blame for the trouble they are in.

The OP is about the USA, more precisely about democracy in the arab world being a thread to the USA.
It is about the claim that the USA prefer friendly dictators to democratically elected government
"it doesn't matter what the population thinks as long as they are under control"

USA's government are ********. I'm ashamed of them.

USA's people, though, are great. Well, there are (like anywhere else) backwards people, but it often amazes me how we got stuck with such a crappy governmental body with a people that would never agree to such awful tactics.